Building a new pc after thives stole my last one.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kieran_
Mugwump

Building a new pc after thives stole my last one.

Post by kieran_ »

My place got burgled about a week back so I'm finally gonna build a new pc.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx? ... 2BE5AB798C

check it out. any input would be gladly appreciated. Remember, all prices are in euro. I'm looking to stay in the 750e budget, and the above hits that spot.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The power supply seems to be a bit of an overkill. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Sorry about what happened to your place.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

buy it, then I'll burglarize something actually worth it
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

snkcube wrote:The power supply seems to be a bit of an overkill. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Sorry about what happened to your place.
my thoughts exactly.

only other thing of note is that the q8200 doesn't support hardware virtualization... you'd need to bump up to a q8400 to get it.* the real-world ramifications of this are no XP-mode under win7 and much poorer performance under other virtualization apps of the sort (virtual pc, virtualbox, vmware, etc) under any OS.

*some q8300s DO support VT, but they're only available as a tray part and you've only got a 50/50 shot of getting the right one unless the shop actually lists the sSPECs. good luck with that.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

the motherboard description mentions "cross-fire", so whould it be better for an ATI card? or use the Nvidia card and get an SLI mobo?
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Neither. Crossfire is just a way of using two cards at once to boost performance. SLI is the same deal. A motherboard can support it without requiring it. Again, the same as SLI.

They both massively fail at life, IMO.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm gonna break with everyone else and say that's an EXCELLENT power supply.

You're going with fairly high-end components, so the power rating isn't entirely unjustified.
And Corsair's supplies are made by Seasonic, which equates to damn nice units. And quiet, too.

I use a 450-watt Corsair in my little overclocked E2140 + GeForce 8600.
Major build goal was silence, and it's just BARELY audible when everything else is off.

Speaking of quiet... a new video card cooler will do wonders for your new noise levels. How video card manufacturers can get away with the complete garbage they throw on them is beyond me.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

They tweak the Seasonics, actually, and have found issues in them(noise issues, not reliability.) and corrected them on their own. :D

Also, I would go with a lower spec'd version of that PSU: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340676

Same model, but lower max wattages. Saves you money, and you'll never use 750.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll get that 650w instead.
Also, in relation to Hardware Virtualisation, I'll probably stick with this cpu. I can always dual boot xp and 7, if it comes to it.

EDIT: Gonna get the 8400. Performance boost, hardware VT, extra 30 euro.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:650 watts ought to be enough for anybody.
you heard it here first
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

yes I have a corsair 650 power supply and it's wonderful. it has custom black 4 pin molex power connectors that eject when you pinch them, it's 80% certified, all the wires wrapped nice and heat shrink lookin' sweet. it handles my slightly overclocked e8400, three hard drives, dvd drive, and large video card with no problem. it should handle a second large video card as well.

I got this heatsink, looks like that heatsink at that website. I keep mine running at 3.6ghz and it's dead quiet. my gigabyte board came with software that you just click a single button and when it reboots you're running at 4.0ghz. but the fan kicked up a notch and I could hear it a little when I had no music playing.

[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

1 - You should be able to find a GTX260 216 for about the same price as a standard GTX260. Though I would recommend nothing lower than GTX275 these days which is about on par with a GTX280.

BFG, XFX and EVGA all offer lifetime warranty so long as you register your product so I would recommend buying from one of those three.

2 - You chose DDR2-800... DDR2 is dirt cheap these days, you should be able to find DDR2-1000 or 1066 with fine timings for about the same price.

3 - The Q8200 has a 7x multiplier and a 333MHz default FSB, that could cause some serious headaches when overclocking which leads me to my next point...

4 - Fuck Asus and their overpriced garbage. I would recommend whatever the modern counterpart of the Gigabyte GA-P45-DS3R is. That's a solid motherboard all around and a monster overclocker, not to mention will be literally less than half the price of an Asus board that matches it. They tend to be in North America anyway.

I run my E8400 at 4.1GHz 24/7 on my GA-P35-DS3R. With proper cooling it could do 4.4GHz+ but I use air cooling which makes it difficult having it stable at over 4.2GHz.

5 - Even if you do manage to get a good OC out of the Q8200 (which you really won't with a 7x multiplier) keep in mind that those low models don't have virtualization. So if you were planning in running XP mode in Windows 7 you won't be able to with that CPU. I highly recommend getting a better model than the Q8200 especially because of it's low speed.
Last edited by Cyrus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:650 watts ought to be enough for anybody.
you heard it here first
Lucky for me, I'm actively wasting more than 640kb of mem (it's more like 750MB, while nothing is loaded), not that it matters.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I will not be overclocking.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

will you be doing SLI or crossfire?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

i really doubt it. I never looked into it much. I'm not sure what performance gains I would get from another 260gtx... twud be fantastic if there was a lot of gain, twud be an easy upgrade.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Some Movie DVD copy software can use CUDA now to greatly improve performance, with only 1 Nvidia card you can either game or copy a movie with the aid of the video card. Yeah you could use your CPU for the movie copying but that takes longer and can have a negative impact on your gaming. With 2 video cards you can dedicate 1 to CUDA and the other to gaming.

Aside from ^ scenario (and similar), I can't think of many benefits from 2 cards. When not movie copying you can dedicate them both to gaming :P
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I completed the order.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx? ... B073DC5D53

^That is the final build sans cpu. I got the quad 8400 from a different site.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I hope the actual building of it goes smoothly.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

kieran_ wrote:I hope the actual building of it goes smoothly.
ditto... but if not, just pick our brains some more.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
MorteTheSkull
Hazed

Post by MorteTheSkull »

Damn those "thives" and their computer-stealing ways.
"Did you see the way that female zombie was looking at me?"
"You're imagining things, Morte."
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

it is built now. it is very nice.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

kieran_ wrote:it is built now. it is very nice.
give us some sort of..

proof.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

fuck off you boring bastard. jesus. i should have guess that you found the boat from zboard.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

kieran_ wrote:fuck off you boring bastard. jesus. i should have guess that you found the boat from zboard.
go blame neoblaze

all I wanted was bsnes screenshots [/i]im allowed not to have a personality