ZSNES black screen problem

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

lakintree3

ZSNES black screen problem

Post by lakintree3 »

I have ran into a problem. A few days ago I installed the latest ZSNES and FFIII and it worked fine. The only problem I encountered was losing some of my saved file, but that was nothing to fret about since I didn't lose too much of it (Btw, does anyone know why this happened? I used a save state also, I'm pretty sure. And I've read somewhere that it could cause you to lose some of your file or something like that, but I'm not too sure about it.)

But lately when I've been trying to play it all I get is a black screen. I can press 'P' and pause and all and hear the music, but I get no video.

If it helps any, I am on Vista Home Premium.

Is there anyway to fix this without having the possiblitly of maybe losing my file? Thanks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The emulator stores the game's battery-backed RAM (your save slots) in a *.srm file. Savestates also contain this SRAM, so when you reload a savestate it's possible that your save slots are also reverted given you have set that behaviour in the options.

Magichange edit for clarity.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
lakintree3

Post by lakintree3 »

So...then is it possible to change them back or...

But I have then came across another problem. I tried downloading it again and open my saves on it, but all that showed up was a black screen and a "Bad Rom" messaged at the bottom. Though it plays the game fine, but just not any of my saves.

Is it because it's a different download? Or is there a way to fix it?

Then if I try to play them on the first Zsnes I downloaded, I can open the saves and savestates and the screen just stays black.

This problem seemed to happen right after I was having a problem getting back to the game after I would press esc to get to the menu. It would just freeze the game and not let me get back into it. So after pressing esc a lot, it finally worked and then I went full screen and that's when the black screen problem started.

This is the first emulator I've used, so I'm not that informed about it though I have read up about them and some of the documents I thought would be helpful that came with Zsnes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There are many issues with this post, so let me clarify a few things.

Do not try to load SRM (saves) or ZST (savestates) directly. SRMs are automatically loaded by ZSNES (just load the ROM like you normally would). You can open savestates after you have loaded the game... use F4 to accomplish this.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Simply RTFM may just help as well.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.