black boarders even when running in NTSC mode!:-(

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

optimus

black boarders even when running in NTSC mode!:-(

Post by optimus »

Hi All,

I'm running Zsnes through a CRT moniter inside my Arcade cab.

The settings which i'm using are generaly; 640x480 or 800x600; Keep Aspect Ratio with Scanlines and also "Force NTSC" when loading roms.

One frustrating thing is that even though I am running U.S or JAP roms which are 60Hz, on games such as Batman Returns and Final Fight, I am still getting the Black Boarders at the top and bottom of the screen, as if playing on a PAL Supernintendo:-( - I even still get them when I use the stretch option.

Is there something which I'm doing wrong?; I'm pretty sure when I had a JAP Super famicom that there were never any boarders at the top or bottom whatsoever.
In some games the boarders are not so bad (Contra III for example), but on others they are there.

This is realy frustrating; can anyon help? (many thanks in advance)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

1. Why are you using Force NTSC if you are loading NTSC games to begin with?
2. Set Keep4_3Ratio to 0 in zsnesw.cfg
Last edited by Agozer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
optimus

Post by optimus »

Force NTSC isn't gonna hurt right?.............

I've tried not using keep aspect ration, ir just makes the gme wide screen; still with the black borders...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

have you tried adjusting the settings on your monitor to stretch the screen? most "newer" crts will maintain separate settings for different resolutions. on older crts, you'd have to tweak the dials any time you changed resolution...
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
optimus

Post by optimus »

I don't think it's got anything to do with the settings on my monitor, as when I've been using MAME in 640x480 with stretch it is filling teh whole screen.
These boarders are definately in Xsnes, theylook the same as boarders from a uper Nintendo (slightly grey) - also, as I said, so games (which I'm running with the same settings) don't have as noticable boarders (i.e Contra III).
Could it be that on certain Capcom games on the snes, that even on the NTSC versions they had boarders? (but smaller ones than running on a PAL console)? ; I don't remember seeing any when I had a Super Famicom (although I don't think i ever had Batman Returns for it).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

What games are you talking about?

Some games have intentionally created borders such as Chrono Trigger or FF3/FF6's overworld.

Edit: In your Capcom example, the Final Fight series has borders (any and all regions)... which is not ZSNES's fault. Getting rid of those borders is another matter and requires romhacking knowledge.

Forcing a different region on a game can produce unpredictable results. Some games automatically lock you out, others games can work just fine... and often times it's somewhere in between (usually sound doesn't quite sync correctly or graphics problems).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Optimus,

Is this the same Optimus from pouet.net which did the Otatinium demo/s?

:shock: