<blitzkrieg> testing, testing, 1 2

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

creaothceann wrote:
mudlord wrote:[...] people keep pushing power consumption when I couldn't care less

[...] am not interested in upgradability [...] a shit PC for a mentally unstable person like me that gives a fuck about how much bytes my apps take
Get a 486er / Pentium, 64 MB RAM or so, and a matching OS to boot (e.g. Win98).

Then write your own ASM OS + programs on that if other programs are still too bloated.
Now who is being a troll. :?
A Pentium 450 with something with OpenGL 1.1 would be just fine. >.<
byuu

Post by byuu »

disable some cores
What's wrong with multi-core? As long as the app is fast and runs on one core, multi-core just means it scales and can run even faster, eg video codec :)
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

A excuse to not optimize.
THATS the issue.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

mudlord wrote: That's what I expected from people. People always go for the most efficient, fastest, most bloat filled, expensive, crap/turds/whatever they can afford. No one remotely gives a damn about fucking commonsense when coding.
Hey, I've griped about the PC game industry before.

The graphics accelerator market especially is TOTALLY out of control. At least they've FINALLY realized that more power at any cost is not a viable hardware growth path. They still up specs WAY too often, and all too many game companies don't give a damn.

Doom 3 was a perfect example of what I'd been complaining about for a few years at that point. After the leaked alpha build that was unrunnable on any then-available hardware, people threw a fit.
And the final build was heavily optimized, and by most counts ran almost identically on everything from a low-end Geforce 3 to a low-end GeForce 5, with the only really visible sacrifice on a GeForce 2.

The lesson was missed by the PC gaming community, who continues to this day to insist that annual vidoe card upgrades are needed and that if a game doesn't require them, it's a shoddy product(or an MMORPG, but that's a whole 'nother rant).

It just took us a while to get around to the explicit goal.

But for the love of all that is good, get an old Athlon XP
(I've got an old one that's highly servicable as a general-purpose computer even with a modern OS, despite being "prehistoric" in enthusiast PC terms. But with 256 MB of RAM, it was seriously crippled by some of the garbage installed on it when it was a family machine. Should probably reassemble it and give it some work to do... except the motherboard is flaky, and always has been. There's always a hitch somewhere.).

Or a Pentium 3.

Or a Via C3. One of those little MicroATX boards, with one of those shoebox-sized cases. They're ADORABLE!

What I'm saying is... ANYTHING BUT A P4! Think of the children!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Get a Cyrix III 600mhz processor and a motherboard to match, enjoy the shit performance.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Aaaand there's the peanut gallery.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

mudlord wrote:Can some person disable this account, if thats feasible? I don't see any "ignore user" feature here, so I have no other option. It seems my programming ethics are never welcome here, so I should stop visiting this place.
Please learn to deal with such conflict in a fashion that has less emo.

Else real life will skin you in a couple years.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

mudlord wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
mudlord wrote:[...] people keep pushing power consumption when I couldn't care less

[...] am not interested in upgradability [...] a shit PC for a mentally unstable person like me that gives a fuck about how much bytes my apps take
Get a 486er / Pentium, 64 MB RAM or so, and a matching OS to boot (e.g. Win98).

Then write your own ASM OS + programs on that if other programs are still too bloated.
A Pentium 450 with something with OpenGL 1.1 would be just fine. >.<
But you won't "feel" the optimizations with such a fast processor.
mudlord wrote:Now who is being a troll. :?
Wikipedia wrote:Paranoia is a thought process characterized by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a perceived threat towards oneself.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

grinvader wrote:
mudlord wrote:Can some person disable this account, if thats feasible? I don't see any "ignore user" feature here, so I have no other option. It seems my programming ethics are never welcome here, so I should stop visiting this place.
Please learn to deal with such conflict in a fashion that has less emo.

Else real life will skin you in a couple years.
I'm sorry, people already have in real life. I got used to it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Bah to Western Digital. That hd that used to come with a Gateway comp that I have is failing faster than the Maxtor 20GB that I bought way back.

Even the ~200GB Maxtor I run now isn't remotely close to failing. Lucky me.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I've had a western digital 40GB HDD in my Linux machine ever since 2003, and it's been going 10 million strong, no problems. :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I have two on hand, and neither have failed. I believe some of their earlier models had problems, but they've been corrected for a long time now. I hear their software is crap though. I've never touched it, FWIW.

Seagate, on the other hand, is having problems right now: http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewto ... =5&t=64916 http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewto ... =5&t=66597

Best examples my tired mind can find right now.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I've had a few WD hard drives over the past several years and all work just fine today. The oldest is 6 or 7 years old. The secret to my hard drive longevity? I'd say keep it cool. Heat (and water) are electronics worse enemy.

Furthermore, if you're seriously concerned over it, you can get one of Western Digital's enterprise class drives (The RE line). Not much cost premium and higher rated life and components. I used to know the specifics on this, but I have since forgotten.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

previous experience does not predict future performance.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:previous experience does not predict future performance.
Sure, but it influences future purchase.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

compy hijack lol

anyway i need the techies here for one question that i wonder about.

the cpu comes with a fan that already has thermal paste stripes on its copper plate
so the obvious question is
are those enough (remember, for a non OC setup) or do i need to get out and grab some third party thermal shits and coat the cpu with it too ?

please mention if you're biased towards one solution or not, too (so i can balance your advice with my own biases).

tia doods

hurry up and answer >:3
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

stock compound on an intel heatsink is sufficient.

if you have to remove the heatsink after initial installation, though, you'll want to clean the surface of both the heatsink and cpu heatspreader thoroughly and apply new thermal compound. i recommend arctic silver 5.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

hmm...

so everything seems fine except the ram
it gets too hot (even with only 6GB, haven't tried with less yet) and the compy shuts down (cpu remains at 50°C and the rest is ~30 in the meantime).

i don't quite see how to fix that, since there's no place at all to add some sort of fan for the ram

i'm stumped and sad

any ideas ?

aside from "kill yourself", preferably

Or maybe it's the ram config stuff. it's branded as 1600mhz 8-8-8 but the bios sets it at 1066 7-7-7... could that make stuff unstable so that it boots fine but shuts down 1-10 minutes after power on (while still in the bios or idling at a console) ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

my gut says defective ram.

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:Or maybe it's the ram config stuff. it's branded as 1600mhz 8-8-8 but the bios sets it at 1066 7-7-7... could that make stuff unstable so that it boots fine but shuts down 1-10 minutes after power on (while still in the bios or idling at a console) ?
If the BIOS does not automatically set the correct parameters (the latency and/or the voltage), you MUST enter them yourself. Otherwise, the RAM may be underpowered (or even overpowered) and not work correctly.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yep, I'm pretty sure you have to manually enter the settings for 1600mhz and higher speed DDR3 memory since it doesn't match JDEC specs...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The RAM should work at the default settings, though. Fire up CPUID and see what it has to say about your RAM modules. I'd bet the BIOS is loading their official SPD settings.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

many many tests later, it seems i have a case of cpu socket pin bending (apparently that happens) coupled with stock thermal paste possibly not being enough.
shutdowns happen consistently whenever cpu temp reaches >52°C regardless of ram modules (yes, including 0)

yay for undoing everything and then checking 1366 pins for bendination D;

what a nice sunday

edit: careful mobo study indicates no particular issue however cpu inspection reveals several spots where pins hit the wrong tab
sure hope those didn't fry the cpu
gotta grab some thermal shits anyway to reinstall the sink

oh and whoever offs the moron(s) who thought replacing the zero friction system with this awful shit was a good idea gets my eternal gratitude and then some
皆黙って俺について来い!!

funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

grinvader wrote: oh and whoever offs the moron(s) who thought replacing the zero friction system with this awful shit was a good idea gets my eternal gratitude and then some
Intel. Gotta love em.

Motherboard makers share your love for the LGA.

odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

and the exact reason was so pin-related issues went to the motherboard vendor instead of intel (except in the case where it's actually an intel mobo).

that sucks, grin.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.