Turbo Engine 16 emulator by AamirM

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

Thanks for this great emu.
2 questions :
- it uses 100% cpu all the time, would it be possible to change this ? (in turbo mode it renders 760fps, so it should use much less).

- "rip audio to ogg" is greyed out, any idea ?

thanks
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

geoslake wrote:Thanks for this great emu.
2 questions :
- it uses 100% cpu all the time, would it be possible to change this ? (in turbo mode it renders 760fps, so it should use much less).

- "rip audio to ogg" is greyed out, any idea ?

thanks
1) Why do you want to change this? If it is changed then you will get jumpy/stuttering video and sound (because we cannot predict exactly for how long the emulator should go into sleep).

2) This feature has not been implemented yet. So it is disabled. It will be added in a future version for sure.

Also, 760 FPS? :shock: :shock: . You've got a core i7 or something? I did not expect that it could go that fast. (I usually get about 180-190 FPS most of the time).
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

AamirM wrote:1) Why do you want to change this? If it is changed then you will get jumpy/stuttering video and sound (because we cannot predict exactly for how long the emulator should go into sleep).
Well, I didn't notice such problems in other emulators.
AamirM wrote:Also, 760 FPS? :shock: :shock: . You've got a core i7 or something? I did not expect that it could go that fast. (I usually get about 180-190 FPS most of the time).
E8400. Maybe the fps display wasn't accurate.

Cheers
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Well, I didn't notice such problems in other emulators.
Well, I can add such a feature but one will have to calibrate the sleep time for better results.
E8400. Maybe the fps display wasn't accurate.
Nope, its accurate. I just wasn't expecting it to go that fast.
Kettenhund

Post by Kettenhund »

the new version runs fine now. thanks.
and yeah, i'm running on an AMD cpu (Athlon64 3500+) :lol:
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

AamirM wrote:1) Why do you want to change this? If it is changed then you will get jumpy/stuttering video and sound (because we cannot predict exactly for how long the emulator should go into sleep).
Lower power consumption and heat generation is one reason, but also if you spin all the time you're going to be overusing at least some amount CPU time that other processes could be using.

Since vsync appears at deterministic intervals and I assume you're waiting for it, you can predict when it'll next happen. You can't guarantee that a wait will take no more than the amount requested, but you can wait for a big chunk where you feel confident that the overshoot and granularity won't cause you to miss the next vsync, and then spin for the remainder. You can do some runtime tests to determine these parameters.

I still find it rather shocking that operating systems don't make a wait for vsync function more accessible (where it would of course put the process to sleep).
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

You could do what my port of QuickNES does. It regulates by sound output, and if the sound output buffer is at least half full, it also regulates by vsync. So, I guess there is room for some video stuttering if the sound lags behind.

(I also use WaveOut to allow for varied packet sizes, in case one frame has +/- 1 sample due to rounding. Although I suppose there's little chance of that, I just like to play it safe anyway.)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

aamirm.hacking-cult.org wrote:Another quick update. Now includes the support to rip audio tracks into OGG format. Now, after ripping the CD, everything is ready and you can now load the ripped CD’s cue sheet right away. No manual conversion to OGG/MPC is required. Also fixed a bug in save state code. Added a “Power Saving” mode for netbooks, laptops etc.. to minimize the CPU usage as much as possible to increase battery life ;) .
Full list of changes:

Code: Select all

Version 0.31b
-------------
Another small update:

* Added the option to rip audio tracks to OGG format in cd ripping tool.

* Fixed a major bug in save state code.

* Added "Power Saving Mode" for laptops, notebooks and netbooks etc..
  When this is enabled, Turbo Engine will not use 100% CPU, to save
  battery. But you may get occasional stuttering, skips under this.
  For me, under this option, Turbo Engine uses 0%-5% CPU which should
  save quite a bit of battery ;) .

* Fixed a small bug in localization DLL versioning code. Now Turbo Engine
  won't crash if a language file isn't found.
As always, download from here
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

Thanks for the update. My report :

Cpu saving mode seems to work, but here it uses 65 % cpu (E8400), so you must have an 32 core cpu :)

No choice for ogg quality ?

Sound is all fucked up in both cdrom games i tried (valis 3 & f1-circus special) (continuous saw wave or something).

Display is horribly blocky; nothing like magic engine with interpolation and 25% scanlines, with same setup. Games look like 100x50 resolution :)
(mess has the same problem, don't understand why)

Cheers
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Cpu saving mode seems to work, but here it uses 65 % cpu (E8400), so you must have an 32 core cpu
No, I have a single core CPU. Here is a screenshot even:

No choice for ogg quality ?
This isn't CDRWin or Nero burning/ripping software you know :P. The ripped ogg is good enough IMO. But I may add that option as well but not anytime soon.
Sound is all fucked up in both cdrom games i tried (valis 3 & f1-circus special) (continuous saw wave or something).
Thanks for the report, I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Display is horribly blocky; nothing like magic engine with interpolation and 25% scanlines, with same setup. Games look like 100x50 resolution
Hearing this for the first time. Just enable the interpolation plugin :P .
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

why not add an option to send audio to stdout so people can use any encoder they want?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

funkyass wrote:why not add an option to send audio to stdout so people can use any encoder they want?
Oh, it can rip audio into raw WAV files as well. Then you can encode to anything you want. Plus adding support to rip to other formats can easily be added with a hack (but I don't know why people would want that).
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

AamirM wrote:
funkyass wrote:why not add an option to send audio to stdout so people can use any encoder they want?
Oh, it can rip audio into raw WAV files as well. Then you can encode to anything you want. Plus adding support to rip to other formats can easily be added with a hack (but I don't know why people would want that).
you have a settings collection that specifies the encoder program, and the encoder's arguments.

how is that a hack?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

AamirM wrote:No, I have a single core CPU. Here is a screenshot even:
Well, okay, but here, it's 65-75% (i just re-checked)
AamirM wrote:Thanks for the report, I'll check it out as soon as possible.
Thanks
AamirM wrote:Hearing this for the first time. Just enable the interpolation plugin :P .
It is enabled of course, but it seems it has no effect.
None of the Kega fusion plugins work, by the way.
Here is a screenshot :

Please note that the aspect ratio (set to "none" here) tends to default itself to 3/2, if I change anything regarding display.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

funkyass wrote:you have a settings collection that specifies the encoder program, and the encoder's arguments.

how is that a hack?
Nope. But you can put any encoder in place of "oggenc.dll" and have it export a function with signature "int convert_ogg(const char *in_file, HWND unused)" that converts the given "in_file" to your favorite format with whatever settings you want :P . I guess now you understand why its a hack ;) .
Well, okay, but here, it's 65-75% (i just re-checked)
Do you have vsync enabled?
It is enabled of course, but it seems it has no effect.
None of the Kega fusion plugins work, by the way.
:shock: Hmm...are you sure its not just you? :P Try some plugin which should have visible effect (lol) like HQ4X, even MD NTSC etc...
Please note that the aspect ratio (set to "none" here) tends to default itself to 3/2, if I change anything regarding display.
Strange again. Do you have write permissions to the folder where you copied Turbo Engine?
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

Please note that the screenshot above is with interpolation and scanlines.
As you can see there's no interpolation.
Do you have vsync enabled?
Nope, if I do it's 100%.
Do you think it could be a video driver or card issue (gf9500gt & 182.06 drivers), not supporting something, the cpu would do the job instead, hence the increased cpu usage ?
:shock: Hmm...are you sure its not just you? :P Try some plugin which should have visible effect (lol) like HQ4X, even MD NTSC etc...
They either have no fx or crash the emulator (ex : "quad (snake)").
Strange again. Do you have write permissions to the folder where you copied Turbo Engine?
Yes (windows xp anyway).
khiav

Chinese(T.W) Language

Post by khiav »

VER 0.31b Chinese(T.W) Language
RC and dll file....

Download:http://ifile.it/oc4fegi
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

khiav wrote:VER 0.31b Chinese(T.W) Language
RC and dll file....
Thank you very much :).

You don't mind if I put it up on my website along with your name?

Thanks again :) .
khiav

Post by khiav »

AamirM wrote:
khiav wrote:VER 0.31b Chinese(T.W) Language
RC and dll file....
Thank you very much :).

You don't mind if I put it up on my website along with your name?

Thanks again :) .
O.K .... Thanks ^0^
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

Turbo Engine crashes on start-up here. What am I missing?

WinXP SP3 etc. Nothing special going on.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

escapee wrote:Turbo Engine crashes on start-up here. What am I missing?

WinXP SP3 etc. Nothing special going on.
You mean it crashes like with a "Don't Send" dialog or just opens up and closes immediately? Also, what CPU do you have?
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

Yes, a "Don't send" dialog. Using an AMD Athlon XP here.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

escapee wrote:Yes, a "Don't send" dialog. Using an AMD Athlon XP here.
Hmm....Does that AthlonXP support SSE2? IIRC, AthlonXP does not support SSE2. Sorry, but SSE2 support is required to run this.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

AamirM wrote:IIRC, AthlonXP does not support SSE2.
You are right about that. Athlon 64 and higher supports it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

Guess I didn't see the system requirements posted anywhere, figured I was missing something. Thanks.