ZSNES on HDTV?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

TheBigSmooth

ZSNES on HDTV?

Post by TheBigSmooth »

So a guy at work just gave me an old Dell, its very small and compact.

Its a Pentium3 930mhz 512mb of SDRAM @133mhz

Its got onboard intel graphics and only supports resolutions up to 1280x1024

Since my Samsung is a 46in 1080p display with HDMI hookups i was thinking of getting a half-height low profile GPU to put in it so that i can play all my roms and emulators on.

So im looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130499

ITs got enough horsepower to do things but will this game ZSNES run more smooth or does ZSNES only use cpu?
I like Games
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

all im trying to find out is..

will this help my dying system make games run smoother at a much higher resolution? is this an over kill?
I like Games
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

A standard graphics card will work fine.

ZSNES uses DirectX for vsync/triple buffering, fullscreen and stretching the image, not for fancy 3D or shader effects.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

Thanks for not answering the question :)

I'm running these games in 1080p on a pentium 3 I know I'm gonna need something with some power to display that. Will that gpu work?
I like Games
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

he DID answer your question.

zsnes doesn't require any significant muscle from the video card at all. as long as the drivers aren't horrible (and it supports the resolution you want), it'll be fine.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gonzo
Regular

Re: ZSNES on HDTV?

Post by Gonzo »

TheBigSmooth wrote:So a guy at work just gave me an old Dell, its very small and compact.

Its a Pentium3 930mhz 512mb of SDRAM @133mhz

Its got onboard intel graphics and only supports resolutions up to 1280x1024

Since my Samsung is a 46in 1080p display with HDMI hookups i was thinking of getting a half-height low profile GPU to put in it so that i can play all my roms and emulators on.

So im looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130499

ITs got enough horsepower to do things but will this game ZSNES run more smooth or does ZSNES only use cpu?
Ok stop me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't even installed zsnes on your computer.

So here's a thought;

Why don't you download zsnes, get some roms(don't ask for them here, use google) and then run the program and see if it's too slow for you?

Then you can decide if you want to upgrade your computer.
I think you should find that it runs fine, given zsnes runs on computers with much worse system specs than that.
For instance, you could run zsnes rather smoothly on a computer with a 133mhz processor and 16mb of ram, if you use the dos version, and are willing to sacrifice video and sound quality.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

TheBigSmooth wrote:all im trying to find out is..

will this help my dying system make games run smoother at a much higher resolution? is this an over kill?
Dying? If it's dying, putting more parts into it isn't worth it.

Now, if it's just OLD... be more respectful. That's a damn nice little toybox there.
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

I have installed zsnes. Why on earth would I be asking these questions to see if I can get better performance? I didn't know if zsnes was coded to just utilize the CPU or gpu.

On my system it stutters alot I figured the onbaord gpu sucks and that's why I need an upgrade. So if I had a 9400 gt would that make zsnes run way better? Especially at 1080p?
I like Games
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

odditude wrote:he DID answer your question.

zsnes doesn't require any significant muscle from the video card at all. as long as the drivers aren't horrible (and it supports the resolution you want), it'll be fine.
woah..... not so fast.. because this can quickly become wrong!
Under default settings this is the case, but enabling high levels of scaler filters this can quickly become false especially where limited amounts or limited vram performance come into play.

a Geforce 6600GT can easily get bogged down by HQ4x while a 5900XT powers through,. though in this case the limitation is the Frame buffer performance, rather then the amount.

and any professional trolls want to dispute that should try it before flapping their mouth's >.> because i have real world experience to back this scenario up.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

we are talking about a P3 here...

HQxx might be beyond what its capable of, even assuming the ideal video card.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

1) @ 1080P the screen will be stretched and made wide and very horrible looking.

2) Are you using ZSNES in a window on Windows Vista or Windows 7? either set the program to disable Aero (if you like playing in a window) or instead, play in full screen.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:

Under default settings this is the case, but enabling high levels of scaler filters this can quickly become false especially where limited amounts or limited vram performance come into play.

a Geforce 6600GT can easily get bogged down by HQ4x while a 5900XT powers through,. though in this case the limitation is the Frame buffer performance, rather then the amount.

and any professional trolls want to dispute that should try it before flapping their mouth's >.> because i have real world experience to back this scenario up.
No one cares.

His goal is to get ZSNES running smoothly in 1080p, not to hop it up with m4d f1lt3r h4x.

I would point him to an older release before I would make ANY argument involving filters. 1.31 or 1.25... something like that.
But first I'd find out how the current version runs on his system WITHOUT FILTERS.

The only reason I didn't say "you don't need a vidcard" in the first place is that he says his current chipset won't output 1920*1080, so he DOES need a graphics card either way.

In any case, a PCI video card WILL NOT be the bottleneck here, regardless of chipset or amount of RAM. As long as it is capable of displaying the given resolution, it is good.
The <1GHz P3 WILL be the bottleneck. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The door is to your left. Thank you for butting out and letting the people that actually know what they're talking about have an intelligent discussion.

And it's two-for-one day!
franpa wrote:1) @ 1080P the screen will be stretched and made wide and very horrible looking.

2) Are you using ZSNES in a window on Windows Vista or Windows 7? either set the program to disable Aero (if you like playing in a window) or instead, play in full screen.
1. Not if he enables aspect correction. Furthermore, feeding the TV a non-native image resolution will most likely make things look worse than the PC-side scaling.
And feeding it a 4:3 resolution will PROBABLY result in it getting stretched out to widescreen like you're concerned about.

2. IT IS A PENTIUM 3. WITH INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. 7 is beyond it's grasp. Vista is probably beyond it's grasp, if he expects any decent performance. Aero is DEFINITELY beyond it's grasp, and not even compatible with his graphics processor.

Again, the door is to the left.
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

Thank u for shining some light on this. I doubt I'll run it in hxq or what ever it's called I might though so who knows. I won't stretch it to 1080p cause that's stupid it will be in the fixed aspect ratio of 8:7

I just want a smooth constant framerate at my TVs native res.

So... Do u guys think with my system adding a 9400 gt that I can get good performace over my onboard?
I like Games
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

TheBigSmooth wrote:it will be in the fixed aspect ratio of 8:7
SNES' native displayed aspect ratio is 4:3 though (via the traditional TV's analog stretching).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

...why not use 720x480 and use keep 4:3 ratio. Or 640x480 even and use one of the TV's pillarbox modes? It'll look just about the same in the end, anyway.
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

I don't think I've been to an offical forum and find I'm talking to people that dont know anything that they are talking a out.

There is a setting under video to play the games in there correct aspect ratio of 8:7.

I'm not going to play in windowed mode @ 720x480 and strech it out to 1080p. Are u guys zombies? I've asked a simple question only to be told something stupid. There are people here who have helped so thank u. U know who you are. To thE others... Dumb
I like Games
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

hahahaha oh wow

hahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

haha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

TheBigSmooth wrote:There is a setting under video to play the games in there correct aspect ratio of 8:7
Did you miss this?
creaothceann wrote:
TheBigSmooth wrote:it will be in the fixed aspect ratio of 8:7
SNES' native displayed aspect ratio is 4:3 though (via the traditional TV's analog stretching).
The games are not meant for 8:7.
Look it up?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

TheBigSmooth wrote:There is a setting under video to play the games in there correct aspect ratio of 8:7.
That's the internal SNES ratio. However, this internal res is stretched on a TV screen to 4:3 (this existed before HDTVs or widescreen or whatever newfangled crap we have today). The option as part of the video description (the R modes) are for those people who have comps that have great performance loss for stretching the image on their comp's video card.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

TheBigSmooth wrote:There are people here who have helped so thank u.
No problem dude.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:

No one cares.

His goal is to get ZSNES running smoothly in 1080p, not to hop it up with m4d f1lt3r h4x.

I would point him to an older release before I would make ANY argument involving filters. 1.31 or 1.25... something like that.
But first I'd find out how the current version runs on his system WITHOUT FILTERS.

The only reason I didn't say "you don't need a vidcard" in the first place is that he says his current chipset won't output 1920*1080, so he DOES need a graphics card either way.

In any case, a PCI video card WILL NOT be the bottleneck here, regardless of chipset or amount of RAM. As long as it is capable of displaying the given resolution, it is good.
The <1GHz P3 WILL be the bottleneck. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The door is to your left. Thank you for butting out and letting the people that actually know what they're talking about have an intelligent discussion.

And it's two-for-one day!
franpa wrote:1) @ 1080P the screen will be stretched and made wide and very horrible looking.

1. Not if he enables aspect correction. Furthermore, feeding the TV a non-native image resolution will most likely make things look worse than the PC-side scaling.
And feeding it a 4:3 resolution will PROBABLY result in it getting stretched out to widescreen like you're concerned about.

2. IT IS A PENTIUM 3. WITH INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. 7 is beyond it's grasp. Vista is probably beyond it's grasp, if he expects any decent performance. Aero is DEFINITELY beyond it's grasp, and not even compatible with his graphics processor.

Again, the door is to the left.
Your vibrator's batteries died again, eh?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Your OTHER left, Squall.

TheBigSmooth wrote:I don't think I've been to an offical forum and find I'm talking to people that dont know anything that they are talking a out.

There is a setting under video to play the games in there correct aspect ratio of 8:7.

I'm not going to play in windowed mode @ 720x480 and strech it out to 1080p. Are u guys zombies? I've asked a simple question only to be told something stupid. There are people here who have helped so thank u. U know who you are. To thE others... Dumb
No, the SNES' native RESOLUTION is 8:7. It's native ASPECT RATIO is 4:3.

The SNES, like almost every non-disk system, does not use square pixels. It's aspect ratio is not a simple X resolution/y resolution function.
TheBigSmooth

Post by TheBigSmooth »

Boom
I like Games
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Which one - the Samsung or the P3?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs