360 star ocean

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

rage46
Lurker

360 star ocean

Post by rage46 »

Im playing the 360 star ocean right now and because the rom I have is a piece of crap I cant tell how different it is from the snes version. Has anyone else played it and can anyone tell me how bad or how amazing this game is. I love the 360 version so you wont change my mind but you may intrigue me into looking into the snes version and finding an actual working rom. Anyway the real question is which one is better the old snes or the new 360?
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

No ROM requests ever. Not to mention this is somewhat the wrong place to post this kind of question (Game Comparison).
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

im not asking where to find a rom. im just asking which ones better. im sorry idk where to put my post. its been a few years
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Sorry, your writing isn't the greatest and I read it as a ROM request. So what do you mean by version? The SNES game vs the PSP remake? And as far as I know Star Ocean only had one version on each platform. I hope you don't mean that the Xbox 360 game, The Last Hope, is supposed to be a newer version of the SNES game when it's just another story. Sorry its hard to understand your writing.

EDIT: I guess I should contribute to the topic, I have no idea since I haven't played SO: The Last Hope yet. I wonder if there is a demo.

Also I just realized you are talking about a Bad ROM file, I recommend using NSRT to check it and see if its fixable. If its not redump it or find a better copy.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Last Hope is a plot prequel, the "first" Star Ocean story. However, it does make a *lot* of references to Star Ocean 1 and 2. Saying any more would be spoiling things, especially if you haven't played SO1 or SO2.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I played Star Ocean on the Xbox for about two hours. I got bored with the grindfest.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Same here, stopped playing after about 6 hours. Didn't really dig the battle system either. Fucking gorgeous looking game though.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yes, and it was the only Square Enix game on the 360 that was actually good. It wasn't that bad, was it? Sure, the voice acting sucked (*cough* Lymle and Meracle *cough*), but the graphics were awesome and the battles I liked (especially satisfying for taking your anger out on a cheap, annoying boss). Also liked the Star Ocean 1 and 2 references. Oh, and Motoi Sakuraba's a genius.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Yes, and it was the only Square Enix game on the 360 that was actually good.
And it's a tri-Ace game, not a Squeenix game.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Ah, my bad. I remember hearing that Tri-ace was formed by former, disgruntled Namco-Bandai (back then, just Namco) employees.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The battle system in The Last Hope was very good, apart from the fact that you couldn't lock onto enemies manually, which made it a bit awkward at times. Especially for the boss which kept spawning those larva things that kept killing my party. Vesperia's battle system is a bit more refined and diverse.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Tri-ace
tri-Ace

Pay attention, dood:

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

<3
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

This game also lacked of good dungeon design and save points. I hope that tri-Ace can recover their act with End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i'm hoping that game rocks, as well
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

So far so good and it is in my want list. If something news pops up I'll make a thread about it.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

I hooked up my 360 last night and played it again for a good hour and beat the first boss. I still think it is a grindfest, there aren't enough save points, and the fighting system is mostly a bunch of button mashing. I shall continue on, though.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

badinsults wrote:I played Star Ocean on the Xbox for about two hours. I got bored with the grindfest.
Maybe you fucking suck because the games a cake walk. You dont even need to grind. If you use back attacks your exp modifer always keeps you over leveled.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

clessoulis wrote:
badinsults wrote:I played Star Ocean on the Xbox for about two hours. I got bored with the grindfest.
Maybe you fucking suck because the games a cake walk. You dont even need to grind. If you use back attacks your exp modifer always keeps you over leveled.
Did I say it was hard? I was saying it merely because the amount of fighting done is excessive. It is hard to avoid enemies in those narrow caves unless you want to risk a back attack.

So yeah, fuck you and fuck your mom. And fuck your dog.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I don't know why a person must defend a game even with it's flaws. The game was average but it still was a disappointment to many.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

badinsults wrote:And fuck your dog.
what about its mom
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

grinvader wrote:
badinsults wrote:And fuck your dog.
what about its mom
Hey, let's not get carried away here.

I guess the point here is that clessoulis should tone down his aspie-style outbursts.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

And now the inevitable PS3 version:

http://kotaku.com/5359514/star-ocean-4-sails-onto-ps3

Not that I give a shit about it.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It was guaranteed since the beginning due to the lack of "only on xbawl" logo (which is the double edged effect of that kind of logo, btw) and I do care (positively, especially with the slight polishes we'll get)... but wait for it, I'm getting a hunch of japan only.

Fuckers.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Yeah! Fuckers indeed...