JMA Compression

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

JMA Compression

Post by Nach »

I would like to say that thanks to some help from grinvader and the rest of the NSRT team, JMA Compression is now actually a reality.

It's going to take some time till things are fully up to speed, but you can count on the next NSRT including support, and I'll try to get ZSNES to support it in the upcoming weeks.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Tallgeese »

You'll also need to tell us how to compress to JMA.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Code: Select all

/home/nach/nsrt> nsrt -savetype
NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

After -savetype specify one of the following:

uncompressed    A regular file.
zip             The Zip data compression file format, invented by P. Katz.
gzip            The GZip data compression format, invented by J. Gailly and M. Adler.
bzip2           Red Hat's BZip2 text compression format, invented by J. Seward.
jma             NSRT team's ROM compression format based off of LZMA.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Tallgeese »

Well, as long as it's in the GUI version. Hehe. (Yes, i am lazy.)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

X Prime wrote:Well, as long as it's in the GUI version. Hehe. (Yes, i am lazy.)
If you were so lazy, you'd use the command line version. In the GUI you can work with one ROM at a time, don't you want to do them all at once?

Post by Tallgeese »

A fine point. I'll think about it.
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Nach wrote:
If you were so lazy, you'd use the command line version. In the GUI you can work with one ROM at a time, don't you want to do them all at once?
Maybe you should fix that bug. :-)
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

jdratlif wrote:
Nach wrote:
What bug?

Post by jdratlif »

Nach wrote:
jdratlif wrote:
Nach wrote:
What bug?
That the GUI can only work one at a time.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I've never used the GUI version, but I'll speculate that it's not a bug, but a limitation inherent to graphical interfaces.

Though a multi-select file list might be a way around such an interface limitation, I wouldn't know because I have not used the GUI.
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Ichinisan wrote:I've never used the GUI version, but I'll speculate that it's not a bug, but a limitation inherent to graphical interfaces.

Though a multi-select file list might be a way around such an interface limitation, I wouldn't know because I have not used the GUI.
I wasn't really serious about it being a bug, but I don't think it's a limitation inherent to graphical interfaces either.

If the text version can do multiple ROMs at once, then there should be a way to do it in the graphical version.

Multiple-select listbox for specifics, or a do all in directory 'x' maybe. But maybe I'm not familiar with the particular actions. It just seems that anything you can do in the text version should be doable in a graphical version.

I didn't know there was a GUI actually. I've only used it a couple times when posting issues with specific games.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Re: JMA Compression

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nach wrote:I would like to say that thanks to some help from grinvader and the rest of the NSRT team, JMA Compression is now actually a reality.

It's going to take some time till things are fully up to speed, but you can count on the next NSRT including support, and I'll try to get ZSNES to support it in the upcoming weeks.
Great! Now you just have to get GoodMerge to support it, and everybody will be happy.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Noxious Ninja wrote:
Nach wrote:I would like to say that thanks to some help from grinvader and the rest of the NSRT team, JMA Compression is now actually a reality.

Great! Now you just have to get GoodMerge to support it, and everybody will be happy.
Are you insane?

Post by grinvader »

Time for some testing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nach wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:

Are you insane?
Maybe. You do intend to release full specs and refernce code, right?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Noxious Ninja wrote:
Nach wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:

Are you insane?
Maybe. You do intend to release full specs and refernce code, right?
Once everything is ironed out.

Post by Player1 »

sorry if I ask, but why is JMA better than ZIP? Has it better compression? If so how many times better is it? Can Zsnes open this files?
If I misunderstood something I'm sorry.

Thanks to Nach and everyone for the hard work
hydr0x
Rookie

Post by hydr0x »

@player1

size comparison, it's just an example and every technical aspect has to explained by other people ;)

Actraiser (U).sfc

JMA: 631 KB
WinZip zip (normal compression): 672 KB
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

From what I tested, jma also rules with gba roms.
Player1 wrote:sorry if I ask, but why is JMA better than ZIP? Has it better compression?
Yes.
Can Zsnes open this files?
:roll: @Nach -> that's what I told you... :þ
Just wait a bit.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

If you zip up a game and all of it's international variants (regional, hacks, revisions, etc), the zip format does not look at the similarities between different files. A "solid" archive (an option with other compression formats like RAR, ACE, and 7zip) has the capability to siginificantly reduce size in such a situation.

Super Mario All-Stars (J), (U), and (E) can compress together to less than 1/3 the size of a zipped archive.

Consider that there are two versions of SMAS that include Super Mario World. Thow those into the archive and all variants of Super Mario World.

You can save some serious hard drive space.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Player1 wrote:Can Zsnes open this files?

I'd expect most people to at least read the first post :?
Nach wrote:I'll try to get ZSNES to support it in the upcoming weeks.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Status update.

I now have ZSNES loading JMA files.

I still have to improve it though till I'm satisified with it. I'll probably have something to commit in a week or so.

Post by grinvader »

Hahahahahahahahaha

I love beta-testing.

Hahahaha

HA
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Does JMA support solid archives? Of course, making use of that would require a game selection menu for multi-ROM archives, so ZSNES wouldn't get much use from it, but still.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Does JMA support solid archives?
It has two modes, solid and semi-solid.
Noxious Ninja wrote: Of course, making use of that would require a game selection menu for multi-ROM archives, so ZSNES wouldn't get much use from it, but still.
I actually was thinking of supporting that one of these days. Will have to look at it from both angles and determine if it would be a worthwhile project or not.