Turbo Engine 16 emulator by AamirM

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

It could use a simple CPUID check on startup to alert the user that their system isn't up to snuff. Maybe.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Guess I didn't see the system requirements posted anywhere, figured I was missing something. Thanks.
Well, I guess I didn't really make it clear. But anyways, don't lose hope. You can still use 0.3, which doesn't require SSE2. You can get it from here. Thanks to EmuWiki for archiving these old emulator releases.
It could use a simple CPUID check on startup to alert the user that their system isn't up to snuff. Maybe.
Yeah, I guess I could do that.
LordFlux

Static in music

Post by LordFlux »

I've had some time to sit down and test a handful of my PCE/TG16 CDs. Tried them in BIN/CUE format and also playing from the original disc. I've experienced the same compatibility and bugs/glitches in both formats.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7 x64 RC.

One annoying bug in particular is an audio buzzing (and popping) found in certain CD games. The titles in which I have experienced the audio buzzing are: Altered Beast, Download 2, Last Alert, Ane-san, Final Zone II, Hellfire, Ys III, Psychic Storm, Puyo Puyo CD, and Star Parodia. I have other games that I haven't tried, but those are the ones I have tried so far and noticed the problem. It usually happens during fading screen transitions, but happens other times as well. For example, in Last Alert, once the gameplay starts, the buzzing begins and doesn't end until the stage end. Then once the next stage loads up, the buzzing begins again.

There's an odd bug in Altered Beast. When it comes time to meet the boss of Stage 1, he never appears.

The triple game disc with Gate of Thunder, Bonk's Adventure, and Bonk's Revenge will load up the initial menu, but will not load any of the games.

Loom complains about memory initialization upon loading. I used Tennokoe Memory Bank to initialize the memory (this method worked for Mitsubachi Gakuen) and then reloaded the game. Loom then just shows a black screen.

Prince of Persia gives a Load Error on the initial CD-ROM System screen.

A minor bug that I just happened to notice. When Redefining the keys, clicking the Cancel button will cause the program to crash.

Hope to get more time to try out the other games. Really enjoying the emulator and thank you so much for all of the great work!
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Thanks for the bug report.

I found the problem to the sound buzzing/poping problem. It should be fixed in the next release.

I'll take a look at other bugs as soon as possible (free time is a bit hard to get these days :().

Thanks again for the testing. Really appreciated. :)
LordFlux

Post by LordFlux »

I meant to mention in my last post... there is a graphic layer not showing in Last Alert. There's a Gameplay video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JihVbVMm7hc

Just skip to 3:30 to view the gameplay. In the video, you'll see a black bar at the bottom with energy, exp, weapon, etc. That bar does not show up when using Turbo Engine.

Thanks again!
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

I had some time to look at the problems you reported over the weekend. Here are the results (note that I only used BIN/CUE rips):
The triple game disc with Gate of Thunder, Bonk's Adventure, and Bonk's Revenge will load up the initial menu, but will not load any of the games.
They are working fine here. Make sure you have a good rip.
Loom complains about memory initialization upon loading. I used Tennokoe Memory Bank to initialize the memory (this method worked for Mitsubachi Gakuen) and then reloaded the game. Loom then just shows a black screen
You are probably using Japanese version with USA bios or vice versa. Otherwise it works fine for me.
Prince of Persia gives a Load Error on the initial CD-ROM System screen.
Again, this is working perfect here. Make sure you have a good rip.

I couldn't check out Altered Beast. I will check that and Last Alert problem as well soon. Thanks for taking the time to find out these bugs :) .
LordFlux

Post by LordFlux »

You're absolutely right. I retested these three games in my wife's laptop and they all ran perfectly. This is the 2nd DVD-ROM drive I've purchased for my desktop PC in hopes that I'd find one that would read a mixed CD properly.

Even IsoBuster said that those 3 games ripped properly with no errors. Argh. Guess I'll just need to rerip all of my games using the laptop.

Sorry for the bogus bug reports. I did retest Altered Beast to make sure that wasn't due to a disc read error and that bug really exists... the stage boss will not appear.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

LordFlux wrote:You're absolutely right. I retested these three games in my wife's laptop and they all ran perfectly. This is the 2nd DVD-ROM drive I've purchased for my desktop PC in hopes that I'd find one that would read a mixed CD properly.

Even IsoBuster said that those 3 games ripped properly with no errors. Argh. Guess I'll just need to rerip all of my games using the laptop.

Sorry for the bogus bug reports. I did retest Altered Beast to make sure that wasn't due to a disc read error and that bug really exists... the stage boss will not appear.
Did you try the included CD ripper? Maybe that would've worked.
LordFlux

Post by LordFlux »

Tried ripping a couple of games using Turbo Engine's built-in ripper and couldn't get either game to play once it was ripped. Ended up with a cdrom.cue file, track1.wav, track2.iso, then several other track files for the game's audio tracks.

When I clicked Load CD-ROM and browsed to the cdrom.cue file for the game I ripped, it would give me a "Error while loading CDROM game. If you are using a physical CD drive, make sure there is a CD in it." box.

Speaking of which, you may want to have a "Game Rip Complete" dialog box or something to pop up after the rip completes. I waited awhile and wasn't sure if the rip was complete because I never got any kind of confirmation.

Here's the cdrom.cue file for Altered Beast if you wanna take a look at it:

http://users.nlamerica.com/dixiebai/cdrom.cue

Nothing much to see there. All files were in the same folder.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Is there a Linux build of Turbo Engine for older (SSE1 only) CPUs?
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

kick wrote:Is there a Linux build of Turbo Engine for older (SSE1 only) CPUs?
No. There is not even a Linux port right now. And the SSE1 capable CPUs aren't powerful enough anyway to run Turbo Engine.

I am working on solving both of these issues (the Linux port and speed). And both of these should be solved in 0.4 release. However the 0.4 release will take a while since my current priority is Regen.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Has the sound re-enabling itself when "disabled" bug been found yet?
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

King Of Chaos wrote:Has the sound re-enabling itself when "disabled" bug been found yet?
Sorry, I had totally forgotten about this bug. Will fix it next time around.
lenne

German Translation

Post by lenne »

My German translation for Turbo Engine 16 0.31b

http://depositfiles.com/files/vfitwh0j0 :wink:
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Re: German Translation

Post by AamirM »

lenne wrote:My German translation for Turbo Engine 16 0.31b

http://depositfiles.com/files/vfitwh0j0 :wink:
Thank you very much. I have uploaded and linked it from Turbo Engine homepage. :)
Validus
Rookie

Post by Validus »

first of all Aarmi, thank you for making this EMU, it has potential to EASILY be THE BEST turbo pcengine emulator out there. I have 2 issues though.

First as you have already heard, the sound issue on CD games, hopefully you can fix this on your next update. The sound on Ys 4 is messed up.

NUMBER TWO big issue GAMEPAD/JOYSTICK INPUT... the hucards work fine with my USB gamepad, but both Ys and Dracula X have been giving me problems with the gamepad.

Neither have the directional pad working correctly, and in Dracula X NOTHING works correctly as far as gamepad input goes.

I was playing the HuCard Strip Fighter2 and the response was a bit off. I could not do any "haduken" motion specials consistently only sometimes would they actually fire, where in Magic Engine all the specials work effortlessly. Something is wrong with the Joypad Input

Thank u, cant wait for the next update... YOU CAN MAKE THIS THE BEST EMULATOR OUT THERE for the TG16/PCengineFX I HAVE FAITH!!!!!!!!!
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Yeah, the problem with the sound in CD games has been fixed. But the problem with the gamepad not working with CD games is totally new. I'll see if I can reproduce and fix it somehow.
Validus
Rookie

Post by Validus »

OK, well this was weird. Last night the joypad went haywire on all the games including HuCards. The joypad was not haywire in any other program only TurboEngine

I tried it today, i guess restarting the system fixed the bug, whatever made it go haywire it is not doing it today. DraculaX along with all the other hucards and CDrom games worked fine.

I suppose the only issue now is the response of the joypad in the fighting game, still could not get a special move off in stripfighter.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Validus wrote:stripfighter.
could be because strip fighter sucks rather horribly. how's it feel in street fighter? (i can't test because my box is currently down.)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Validus
Rookie

Post by Validus »

as i said in a previous post the moves come out with ease when i play StripFighter in Magic Engine.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Validus wrote:as i said in a previous post the moves come out with ease when i play StripFighter in Magic Engine.
sorry, selective reading.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Validus
Rookie

Post by Validus »

Its ok dude, i just wanted to clarify for the emu developer´

and Aarmin. I guess play test the controls with Street Fighter 2 to get them "tighter" if you can thanks.
demonatas

Post by demonatas »

Still having the sound issue here. And some weird message in japanese (on an english title mind you) about BBram? (JB Harold Murder club). most of my duo games are having the sound issue :(
Validus
Rookie

Post by Validus »

demonata he is fixing the sound issue for the next release, problem was already found. just letting you know. find anything else let us know.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Yeah, I haven't released the fixed build yet. I am targeting on releasing the normal, debugger enabled and the Linux port all at the same time for the next release. Plus, Turbo Engine's priority is quite low on my list right now since its seen some releases and some other projects that I've started need my attention as well. So it may take a lot of time before the next release. So I've been thinking to do a small release fixing this, and maybe the controller bug.

What do you guys think?