Bahamut Lagoon Patch

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cyrus
Trooper

Bahamut Lagoon Patch

Post by Cyrus »

Today I was digging up some old games and one was Bahamut Lagoon. The problem is I can't seem to get its patch working. I'm using the old Dejap emulator 1.3 patch. I used NSRT to check the ROM and it's checksum is good. No header, not interleaved. Auto IPS patching is enabled and it doesn't work. So I tried hard patching it and the result was the same.

It's been a long time since I've done anything emulator related, I don't remember anything, what could be the cause of this?
Last edited by Cyrus on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I recall a bad strain of Bahamut Lagoon dumps, so you need to check on that. It is also best you get the copier patch instead of the emulator patch of Bahamut Lagoon for the best experience (there's a few bugs in the emu patch last I recall).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

You need to patch a headered rom.
User Error: Please replace user
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Deathlike2 wrote:I recall a bad strain of Bahamut Lagoon dumps, so you need to check on that. It is also best you get the copier patch instead of the emulator patch of Bahamut Lagoon for the best experience (there's a few bugs in the emu patch last I recall).
I went ahead and got another ROM and verified that with NSRT and tried again and the result was the same. Perhaps the patch file itself is corrupted, I have had it for an extremely long time and there have been hard drive issues since.

I was going to take your advice and get the copier patch but I'm not quite sure where I would get it. Dejap has been dead for an eternity I assume. I found this: http://dejap.eludevisibility.org/bl.php but the links for patches are down.
Killa B wrote:You need to patch a headered rom.
I guessed that might be the issue and added a header with NSRT and that didn't work. Perhaps the header I added with NSRT won't work?
Killa B

Post by Killa B »

Cyrus wrote:I guessed that might be the issue and added a header with NSRT and that didn't work. Perhaps the head I added with NSRT won't work?
The header NSRT added should be fine.

Maybe it is your copy of the patch that's causing the problem. I got the patch from here.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Killa B wrote:
Cyrus wrote:I guessed that might be the issue and added a header with NSRT and that didn't work. Perhaps the head I added with NSRT won't work?
The header NSRT added should be fine.

Maybe it is your copy of the patch that's causing the problem. I got the patch from here.
Thanks for the link. So with the new files I tried adding the header to it then auto IPS patching which didn't work. Then hard patching and the result was the same with both the emulator and copier patches. Something funky is going on, I must be doing something wrong.

I'm using ZSNES 1.51 and NSRT 3.3 (I don't even know what the website for that is anymore), here is the ROM info (before I add a header) for what it's worth:

File: Bahamut Lagoon (J) [!].smc
Name: Bahamut Lagoon Company: Square
Header: None Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 64 Kb
Type: Normal + Batt ROM: 24 Mb
ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0xB856 CRC32: 1B83C440
MD5: 5254A985EDC33928BB8535151A668080
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Add the header first, then you patch. You fail if you do it the other way around.

Don't add an NSRT header either.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Deathlike2 wrote:Add the header first, then you patch. You fail if you do it the other way around.

Don't add an NSRT header either.
That's what I did. What I tried patching with is Lunar IPS, could that be the problem? I assume something else is the problem because the auto patching should work anyway.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Did you check the ROM to see if the header was added?
Killa B

Post by Killa B »

Make sure the rom is 3,146,240 bytes after adding the header.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Deathlike2 wrote:Did you check the ROM to see if the header was added?
Yes I did. I took a look at that again now and it didn't show. I deleted the ROM and re-extracted one from the 7z to try again. The result was the same, the first time it would show the header as added then when I check it again it wouldn't show. I figured NSRT must be corrupted so I deleted and replaced it and sure enough that was the case. The auto patching works now. Very odd.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: Oh and just for the hell if I tried to see if an NSRT header would work as well and it does. What was the reason not to use an NSRT header?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

When you update using the add header option, the info doesn't display properly the first time. You need to select the ROM again to check its updated properties.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Deathlike2 wrote:When you update using the add header option, the info doesn't display properly the first time. You need to select the ROM again to check its updated properties.
Yes that's what I did. I added the header, selected the ROM again and it would show the header added. But then if I checked again after that it wouldn't show. As I said in my earlier post I tried again with a fresh ROM (even though NSRT probably wasn't adding anything anyway) and the result was the same, the first time I re-selected the ROM it would show as added then afterward it wouldn't. Replacing NSRT got it working.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You people should learn to ipsedit instead of fucking up your roms.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

grinvader wrote:You people should learn to ipsedit instead of fucking up your roms.
Edit the IPS so the header won't be necessary? Got some links which explain how? Or is it a little too elaborate for a simple FAQ?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'm sure it's a program that lets you perform a bunch of operations on a .IPS file. Moving all the pointers -0x1FF to the left shouldn't be too complicated for a program to do.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Cyrus wrote:
grinvader wrote:You people should learn to ipsedit instead of fucking up your roms.
Edit the IPS so the header won't be necessary? Got some links which explain how? Or is it a little too elaborate for a simple FAQ?
Just run the program from the command line, it shows how to do it.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

paulguy wrote:I'm sure it's a program that lets you perform a bunch of operations on a .IPS file. Moving all the pointers -0x1FF to the left shouldn't be too complicated for a program to do.
creaothceann wrote:Just run the program from the command line, it shows how to do it.
There is literally a program called IPS Edit? Anyone got a link?
Killa B

Post by Killa B »

Cyrus wrote:There is literally a program called IPS Edit? Anyone got a link?
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/400/
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Killa B wrote:
NSRT 3.4? Is there a manual or would someone mind explaining to me how do I use it to edit an IPS file?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Cyrus wrote:
Killa B wrote:
NSRT 3.4? Is there a manual or would someone mind explaining to me how do I use it to edit an IPS file?
did you bother to read the text?
linked rhdn page wrote:Also included is IPSEdit, which allows you to add/remove headers from IPS patches.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Obviously not. I've been so used to a lack of documentation that I forgot that pretty much everything related to the ZSNES scene has full documentation covering everything. Well, thanks.