LMAO @ People who say 2D on a big screen=blurry

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

isamu
Hazed

LMAO @ People who say 2D on a big screen=blurry

Post by isamu »

I have a DLP front projector with a native res of 1280x720p. I have been playing ZSNES on my 110" screen for a while now, at a resolution setting of 640x480 DS Full. The image was already plenty sharp, but today, out of the blue, I decided to change the video setting to DR Full and OMFG are you kidding me??? It looks ASTOUNDING!!!!!!!! And that is with no filters applied other than 25% scanlines!! The scanlines actually enhance CRT effect, making the 110" display appear to be a giant CRT monitor. That's one crazy size for a cathode ray rube! :D

I also own a 21" CRT PC monitor and as God is my witness, there is literally NO difference in sharpness and clarity between the two displays! I bullshit you not! That is an incredible feat when you're talking about one display being 21" and the other being 110". It now looks JUST as sharp as my PC crt monitor!!!!

Sure the screen has shrunken just a wee bit and has borders on both sides as result of being 4:3, but what a difference in sharpness playing in the correct aspect ratio makes!!

Playing Super Mario Bros 3 and World, I was BLOWN AWAY at how crystal clear the sprites and bitmaps were! Jesus. The only thing I could do from there was laugh my balls off at all the people out there that think playing old 2D games on a screen larger than anything over 32" results in a blurry mess. These guys need to get a clue because they couldn't more wrong.

Perhaps it's the projector I own. The BenQ PE 8720's are known to have an ultra sharp lens. I have owneed this pj for over 4 years now and have seen it flex its muscles several times whether by watching bluray discs or playing Uncharted on the PS3. But what still makes my jaw drop is the level of sharpness with 2D graphics. Unbelievable.

If any of you live in a place where a front projector is a feasible solution for your home, but don't want to spring for one due to the others saying it'll look too blurry on a large screen. Pay the naysayers no mind and go demo an HD PJ. You'll be quite surprised :)
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

use a composite cable from your computer to your projector and get back to us.

or try running on a LCD screen using a non-native res.

Yes, you have discovered that the display used matters!
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I'm sorry, but is this an advertisement for your projector? it sounds like if your projector had a dick that you would suck it. if you've owned a projector for 4 years, and never had it focused to the point where you see the "screen door" effect, then you're a moron. you're recommending a high def projector to play low def super nintendo games? who the hell thinks 2d games are blurry anyways? wtf man, go outside and look at the sky, that shit should make your head explode if you're "BLOWN AWAY" by ancient 16bit graphics. you didn't even mention if you're using a projector screen or some dirty ass half painted wall. pry the latter of the two.

p.s. let me be the first to congratulate you for owning a projector. you're so cool! a winner is you!
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:I'm sorry, but is this an advertisement for your projector? it sounds like if your projector had a dick that you would suck it. if you've owned a projector for 4 years, and never had it focused to the point where you see the "screen door" effect, then you're a moron. you're recommending a high def projector to play low def super nintendo games? who the hell thinks 2d games are blurry anyways? wtf man, go outside and look at the sky, that shit should make your head explode if you're "BLOWN AWAY" by ancient 16bit graphics. you didn't even mention if you're using a projector screen or some dirty ass half painted wall. pry the latter of the two.

p.s. let me be the first to congratulate you for owning a projector. you're so cool! a winner is you!
Calm down, son. I was just stating I was impressed and pleasantly surprised with the IQ of 2D at this size, since so many other people have recommended against playing old 2D games on a front projector, saying it looks too crappy.

And why the hell would I advertise a front projector especially one that's almost 6 years old and has res limit of 1280x720p. Get a clue. :roll:
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

somebody's new to the internet...
isamu wrote:since so many other people have recommended against playing old 2D games on a front projector, saying it looks too crappy.
I've never heard of anyone saying a projector is crappy, regardless of high def 1080p input, or zsnes. I think you're delusional.
isamu wrote:And why the hell would I advertise a front projector especially one that's almost 6 years old and has res limit of 1280x720p. Get a clue. :roll:
my guess is because you paid a shitload of money for it. I paid $1,300 for my 480p projector about 3 years ago, and yes, zsnes looks crispy on it even using a 30 foot s-video cable. seeing as how the projector you're talking about came out about the same time (not "almost 6 years" ago like you claim), it sounds to me like you have an expensive ass piece of electronic equipment, which you portray as an old, dusty piece of shit (yeah it doesn't matter if we take the Lamborghini or the Bugatti, it's better than taking a cab) to promote your ego. this is why I replied and called you out on it. I myself would love to have your old 720p projector if you're just going to throw that piece of shit away. the really sad thing is I googled your projector, and the second page result comes up with a copy and paste of what you spammed here. like I said, if that thing had a dick, you'd be deep throating that bitch all night. hell, you probably do.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

And why would you use a projector for games known to have stationary graphics? most NES and SNES booklets recommend against using front or rear projection display.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:And why would you use a projector for games known to have stationary graphics? most NES and SNES booklets recommend against using front or rear projection display.
yeah - good thing projector technology hasn't changed at all in the past 20 years.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Que
saskatchewanite

Post by Que »

Yes. This is the funniest thread I have read in a good 6mo's.

Props to PHoNyMiKe.

Sarcasm ahoy odditude.

bahahhahahahahaha.
everything i say is a lie
the above line is true
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

odditude wrote:
franpa wrote:And why would you use a projector for games known to have stationary graphics? most NES and SNES booklets recommend against using front or rear projection display.
yeah - good thing projector technology hasn't changed at all in the past 20 years.
and we aren't talking about a rear projector either, unless you enjoy sitting backward in your theater seat.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I think what people refer to is the problems with old consoles on modern HD sets where they have trouble syncing to them, or not displaying them properly. I connected my SNES to my TV and you could see that rather than displaying it in the progressive, half resolution 60hz mode, it assumed it was 480i and you got a weird interlacing pattern when scrolling and stuff. Not to mention ugly NTSC garbage that zsnes just wouldn't produce (unless you wanted it to heh).
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

someone said that mess can deliver even more authentic visuals that zsnes is this true?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I... don't see how. MESS' current SNES support can be described as dire. Many SNES games don't work in ZSNES, but much fewer work in MESS or work properly.

Plus, ZSNES has the NTSC filter, needed for authentic reproduction of the image(it's not needed to display it at all, mind you, so if you like the unfiltered look, go ahead and turn it off.).