Secret of Mana sound issue

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Treshi

Secret of Mana sound issue

Post by Treshi »

Hey all, I was wondering if something that's happening when I play Secret of Mana on this emulator is a part of the game, or a glitch/problem that I could fix.

Whenever a sound plays (eg. attacking, getting hit, going up and down stairs, running fast) it will interrupt a part of the game's background music. I googled quite a bit and didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so I wasn't sure if it's a part of the game or not.

Any help would be appreciated :D
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC, this is normal behavior on the original cart.

This game was meant to be for the fabled "SNES CD", but that didn't happen. So what ended up happening (to get the game back into cart form during this process) was that a lot of the music+sounds clash, and they use some of the same sound channels.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Treshi

Post by Treshi »

Ah, ok thanks. It just gets to me when I'm trying to enjoy the boss music and due to the stupid AI of teammates they keep getting hit and I don't get to hear the music at all :/
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You could learn romhacking, and rewrite the game's sound engine. ;)

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=422
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Using extra bankswitching for additional data is useless there. You want a software mixer ala ToP/SO.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

It also lets you play .WAVs in a directory with the ROM, sorta like Sega CD dumps with separate ISO+WAVs. So if you converted the SPCs to WAVs.. or provided equivalent music, you could have it use those, and somehow hack the game to not play the music through the SPC.
byuu

Post by byuu »

The fake device also pretends to have the S-DSP's stereo cart mixer pins connected to it, allowing you to stream audio. So just leave the original S-SMP engine to only play sound effects, while the 21fx plays just the background audio. Do this by hooking the CPU-side calls to play BGM -- disable the S-SMP transfer and send a 21fx audio command instead.

While a ROM hacker could add this very easily, I don't think asking a casual user to learn the skill is going to be fruitful.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

oh shush byuu, or we'll make you do it :P haha
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

byuu wrote:The fake device also pretends to have the S-DSP's stereo cart mixer pins connected to it, allowing you to stream audio. So just leave the original S-SMP engine to only play sound effects, while the 21fx plays just the background audio.
The logical extension of that idea would be a "virtual device" that takes the SNES' video output and puts new graphics on top of it.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Nintendo CD 32X
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Nintendo CD 32X
Admit it, you're jealous of the Sega Tower of Power.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

grinvader wrote:Using extra bankswitching for additional data is useless there. You want a software mixer ala ToP/SO.
I thought those used dynamic channel allocation, not software mixing. Also, there are several other games that use dynamic channel allocation, such as Zombies Ate My Neighbors, which uses the channels in a rotating cycle. And then there are several which use a different player, containing the notice "SLICK/Audio v1.01 Copyright(C)1994 Bitmasters,Inc.", such as Earthworm Jim, Mohawk & Headphone Jack... Earthworm Jim 2 also uses the same engine, but v1.07b according to the notice text. There are probably another handful of games that use this player, I don't have a GoodSNES / No-Intro / Whatever set handy to grep for the notice text. I think somebody else already did that for me a few years ago, but I've forgotten the majority of the games.