Snes9X v1.52 released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

byuu

Snes9X v1.52 released

Post by byuu »

Downloads:
http://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/

Changelog:
http://snes9x.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4542

Contains blargg's S-DSP core, abolishment of graphics packs, and UPS support.
Rashidi
Trooper

Re: Snes9X v1.52 released

Post by Rashidi »

its alive! its alive!!

ehm, *downloading*
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

For whatever reason, the configure file isn't recognizing my OpenGL dev libraries in my 32 bit Linux.

It compiled fine in my 64 bit installation. The sound is very nice. I also love the new GTK interface, it is much better than the sloppy GTK frontend that existed before. However for some reason after I hit pause emulation, and the emulator ran very slowly. Subsequent loads also ran slowly. I imagine it was because it installed a kernel update during that time and I didn't restart.

I will try it again later.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I must say, I'm really surprised to see that Snes9x is still alive and kicking!
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
byuu

Post by byuu »

The original team abandoned it, and then the replacement team that took it over also abandoned it. Three unofficial porters got together to make this one possible. zones in particular really pulled it all together.

But it's quite reflective that despite talking about this for weeks and having the release planned out, nobody can even update the frontpage of the website to reflect the release. Hell it hasn't been touched since 2006.

It almost may as well be considered a fork. But I'm extremely grateful for it -- now people without super-computers can enjoy proper sound emulation at long last. I have no reason to recommend SNESGT anymore with an open-source alternative.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

byuu wrote:nobody can even update the frontpage of the website to reflect the release. Hell it hasn't been touched since 2006.
which domain registrar & hosting whose that cheap-o ?
byuu

Post by byuu »

EDIT: or not, holy shit fuck. Do not try and play Earthworm Jim 2 on this. Wow. I almost went deaf. It stops at a 130dB note on the title screen.
Inzane
-Burninated-

Post by Inzane »

which is better zsnes or snes9x?
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Inzane wrote:which is better zsnes or snes9x?
If a new Snes9x was never released, I'd recommend SnesGT. But this is no longer the case; I highly recommend Snes9x 1.52 (spc emulation tied w/Bsnes), but for better compatibility (like playing Earthworm Jim 2), use Zsnes. Snes9x has a major bug that renders people like byuu and me temporarily deaf at the title screen.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

byuu wrote:EDIT: or not, holy shit fuck. Do not try and play Earthworm Jim 2 on this. Wow. I almost went deaf. It stops at a 130dB note on the title screen.
After all these years, Earthworm Jim 2 still doesn't work. I originally signed up to the Zsnes and Snes9x forums to ask when it would work! I eventually re-purchased the cart.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Snes9x has a major bug that renders people like byuu and me temporarily deaf at the title screen.
Oh god, you went and tried it? D:
Imagine that sound as an alarm clock.
If a new Snes9x was never released, I'd recommend SnesGT.
Indeed, my main reason for mentioning it. It's great to have an open alternative.
After all these years, Earthworm Jim 2 still doesn't work. I originally signed up to the Zsnes and Snes9x forums to ask when it would work!
Yeah, I've still got a list of things I reported back in '98 that are still broken in one or both of them :(
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

What's breaking earthworm Jim 2 now?
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

I was playing some StarFox 2 and Jikkyou Oshaberi Pardius, both worked great!
sensory

Post by sensory »

Loving this since Zsnes gives me some very crackly sound on every game. Thanks for the time spent on releasing this! :D
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

Yeah really, I think that with this new sound core and a great GTK gui, I would choose snes9x 1.52 over zsnes 1.51. This is a great release. :D
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:What's breaking earthworm Jim 2 now?
Probably the fact that it hates humanity.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

fkd sound.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
fkd sound.
._. I meant what is breaking its sound now...
byuu

Post by byuu »

S-CPU timing. It's getting stuck in a loop waiting for S-SMP responses that come in at the wrong time. It never gets the right values because they are out of sync, and it breaks.

It wasn't anything in the Snes9X code that broke it, it was using blargg's more accurate S-SMP core that misaligned it. The usual timings hacks don't appear to be helping in this case so far. Still looking into it ...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Talking about blargg's more accurate core, emulators using it but still aiming at full determinism (a requisite for all games to replay inputs without desyncs) should implement a controllable source of random for the tntarget glitch instead of a timer-dependant srand().
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

I spoke to blargg about this very issue. Our conclusion was to use a pseudo-random number generator (based on the CRC32 magic number) that is purposely re-seeded to a constant value at every power-on event.

He came up with the following:

Code: Select all

inline unsigned prng() {
    static unsigned n = 0;  //you would need to globalize this; reset it on power-on
    return n = (n >> 1) ^ (((n & 1) - 1) & 0xedb88320);
  }
Perhaps we discussed this after his core was completed.

Also, the TnTARGET glitch only occurs on certain revisions of the hardware. It does not occur on the SNES-mini, and possibly not on other revisions.