zsnes Conflustration

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

quequotion

zsnes Conflustration

Post by quequotion »

I have several questions and a few complaints.

1. How can the SVN be compiled, seriously? These directions do not work, and have not worked for quite some time now. This patch for the problem is out of date. Applying the changes from the patch by hand results in this:
jznomoney wrote:

Code: Select all

g++  -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT  -D__OPENGL__ -march=i386 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -fno-rtti -o tools/fileutil.o -c tools/fileutil.cpp
g++  -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT  -D__OPENGL__ -march=i386 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -fno-rtti -o tools/strutil.o -c tools/strutil.cpp
g++  -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT  -D__OPENGL__ -march=i386 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -s -fno-rtti -o tools/depbuild tools/depbuild.cpp tools/fileutil.o tools/strutil.o
tools/depbuild.cpp: In function ‘void dependency_calculate_asm(const char*)’:
tools/depbuild.cpp:134: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int system(const char*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/tmp/ccynwejl.o: In function `dependency_calculate_psr(char const*)':
depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x297): undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'
depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x2cb): undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'
depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x302): undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'
/tmp/ccynwejl.o: In function `dependency_calculate_asm(char const*)':
depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x4b4): undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'
depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x4ec): undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'
/tmp/ccynwejl.o:depbuild.cpp:(.text+0x524): more undefined references to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [tools/depbuild] Error 1
from this thread.

For the mean time, I have found a fairly up-to-date ppa with an amd64 binary (I'd really like to know how this was made..) but I'd much rather have my own compile, as this one has major sound issues (moreso than the average zsnes binary).

2. Is there anything that can be done on the zsnes side of things to fix the following sound issues: Loud pops or clicks at start (like the pop you get if you plug in headphones to an old cd player or gameboy which is already on) in several versions (1.51x). Occasional heavy cpu consumption for sound, slowing down the entire pc even on high spec hardware (it seems to scale to 90% of the limit of whatever you run it on). Sound cutout with high cpu consumption (sound dies completely, and emulation cpu usage jumps up 30-40%--sometimes more)?

I know the choppy and out-of-sync sound problems are related to sdl and pulseaudio having poor interaction, but oddly if you run pavucontrol and leave it open while playing this problem is lessened by quite a lot...

By the way, I'm attempting to compile in a 32bit chroot, which AFAIK is properly set up and has all the necessary dependencies.
quequotion

followup questions & complaints

Post by quequotion »

Why hasn't this three year old patch been added to the SVN? It's third revision looks like a really good idea and was even made by a designated zsnes developer.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Isn't the public SVN just extremely outdated or something? I don't hear of many people using it or anything. May as well just get the source from the front page, or that 1.51b version.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

You seem really angry. Why wasn't a patch added? Probably because ZSNES is a hobby project, being worked on when people have the time to do it. Complaining about something others worked on and you get for free on the internet was never a good idea.

Also I too believe the public SVN is semi-abandoned, as the devs are working on ZSNES 2.0.

I do not have a Linux box avaiable ATM as I am on a business trip. Hopefully someone else can help you in the meantime.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54