Some help with ZSNES and macros, please.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ArchmageRandius

Some help with ZSNES and macros, please.

Post by ArchmageRandius »

Hi, all.

I registered on this forum since I'm looking for some help with my ZSNES, specifically macros. Here's the situation.

I'm playing SoulBlazer and I'm trying to level from 32 - 50, which is going to be a huge PITA if I play it conventionally. Level 32 is about 3.2 million experience, and level 50 is about 100 million experience. I'm trying to level up to level 50 in one of the final dungeon areas. On one screen, I teleport to the next area, kill 3 enemies that show up immediately onscreen (2 right away and the 3rd about 1/2 second later as it rolls in). Each enemy is worth 4000 experience, so thats about 12,000 experience per screen, so I'll need oodles of this to get 100 million experience.

I press the UP button to step on the teleport tile, then in the new area, I hit B three times to fire 3 ranged attacks, killing each enemy in one hit. Then I press DOWN button to get back on the teleport to the previous area, and then rinse + repeat over and over.

I was wondering if there's any way that I can make a macro for ZSNES to do the following:

1. UP, wait 1/2 second, B, B, B, wait 1/2 second, DOWN (as macro)
2. Loop this macro like a turbo button
3. Able to loop while using the speed-up feature (the ~ key)

That way, I don't have to spend weeks trying to mash buttons, and can have ZSNES do it automatically overnight. Sadly there's no gameshark, game genie, or codebreaker codes that will bypass the experience problem, nor level up correctly. Thus, the need for a ZSNES macro.

Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks!
Hyos
Regular

Re: Some help with ZSNES and macros, please.

Post by Hyos »

ArchmageRandius wrote: 1. UP, wait 1/2 second, B, B, B, wait 1/2 second, DOWN (as macro)

No1 is easily done, check the "misc" button in the menu, then "key comb."
No2 cannot be achieved with ZSNES AFAIK, but could be achieved with any number of small tools that are out there for mouse/keyboard macros
No3 Will be be impossible because of 2 I believe, as firing the macro by external tool will not be in sync with the turbo'ed emulator (provided I am correct with No2)

Perhaps the better idea to achieve this would be to just edit your savegame? Depends on the way SoulBlazer saves the data, but you can try to edit either ZSNES' save state or the file for the ingame save.
Even better, you can try to look for a "100%" lvl 50 savegame on the net and then edit your character name in...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ArchmageRandius wrote:I'm playing SoulBlazer and I'm trying to level from 32 - 50, which is going to be a huge PITA if I play it conventionally. Level 32 is about 3.2 million experience, and level 50 is about 100 million experience. I'm trying to level up to level 50 in one of the final dungeon areas. On one screen, I teleport to the next area, kill 3 enemies that show up immediately onscreen (2 right away and the 3rd about 1/2 second later as it rolls in). Each enemy is worth 4000 experience, so thats about 12,000 experience per screen, so I'll need oodles of this to get 100 million experience.
One afternoon. It's all it takes.
On a PAL system, so it's faster on NTSC.

Of course, you might not have the sort of dedication I have.
I was wondering if there's any way that I can make a macro for ZSNES to do the following:

1. UP, wait 1/2 second, B, B, B, wait 1/2 second, DOWN (as macro)
Yes, there's a way to do that, however please keep on reading:
Sadly there's no gameshark, game genie, or codebreaker codes that will bypass the experience problem, nor level up correctly. Thus, the need for a ZSNES macro.
You are fortunately mistaken. Soul Blazer just happens to be one of the few games that stores experience in BCD, so you're not searching for the right value. :)

Please make a simple code search in ZSNES, but instead of keeping the "decimal" box ticked, click on the "hexadecimal" one. Then input the number exactly as you see it onscreen.
One to three exact value matches will give you the address for the PAR code.

If you genuinely can't get it, post again and i'll paste it for you (expect biting sarcasm, though).

edit: never mind, you took too long :3

Code: Select all

7e1b78 99
7e1b79 99
7e1b7a 99
7e1b7b 99
Hyos wrote:No2 cannot be achieved with ZSNES AFAIK, but could be achieved with any number of small tools that are out there for mouse/keyboard macros
wut
No3 Will be be impossible because of 2 I believe, as firing the macro by external tool will not be in sync with the turbo'ed emulator (provided I am correct with No2)
1- link the macro to a joypad key
2- hold the joypad key
3- rejoice at the feature that joypads autorepeat key combos without any intervention from the user as long as the button is held down, unlike keyboard key combos.
4- MOVE ZIG
5- err, turbo mode. same thing
6- ????
7- skip all that stuff since you used a single gameshark and 2 minutes of your brain time.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

If it can be done in one afternoon normally, then let's say it's 30 minutes in turbo. Holding down a button for 30 minutes or so is not really my idea of automation, whether on a joypad or a keyboard. The same with using duct tape to hold it down or a weight on a keyboard button. You can achieve the same with many small software tools, but not with ZSNES alone. Guess I should have mentioned the "ZSNES+creative hardware use" way for completeness' sake.

Also, if the emulator is in turbo mode, but a joypad always sends button presses with the same frequency, does that mean the game advances more frames between button presses? If yes, running the emu in turbo mode but activating the macro with the standard frequency would cause the macro to go out of sync with the game, possibly breaking the macro.

Or I am wrong and it does not matter whether the emu is in normal or turbo mode, in that case all the better as that means ZSNES usability is even better than I thought.
ArchmageRandius

Post by ArchmageRandius »

grinvader wrote:
Sadly there's no gameshark, game genie, or codebreaker codes that will bypass the experience problem, nor level up correctly. Thus, the need for a ZSNES macro.
You are fortunately mistaken. Soul Blazer just happens to be one of the few games that stores experience in BCD, so you're not searching for the right value. :)

Please make a simple code search in ZSNES, but instead of keeping the "decimal" box ticked, click on the "hexadecimal" one. Then input the number exactly as you see it onscreen.
One to three exact value matches will give you the address for the PAR code.

If you genuinely can't get it, post again and i'll paste it for you (expect biting sarcasm, though).

edit: never mind, you took too long :3

7e1b78 99
7e1b79 99
7e1b7a 99
7e1b7b 99
I worship the ground you walk upon. Thanks so much! You saved me a lot of aggravation trying to spend weeks killing the domino enemies over and over. I checked Google for the codes and couldn't find any "100 million exp" codes, but yours worked like a charm!

I'm rather new to hex editing. I know the hexdecimal system, but thats pretty about it. I dunno how to find values or use hex editing programs or what have you. Thats another reason why I thought I'd ask about the ZSNES macros.

I tried the Key Combo option, but it doesn't seem to work. I put the button pattern "Up, wait 0.5 seconds, B, B, B, down, wait 0.5 seconds" and the Soul guy moves up for 0.5 seconds, fires only once, then moves back down. I don't understand why he isn't firing 3 times from the 3 B's in the combo.

On top of that, I dunno how to create macros in programs and such, then make them work.

Although your 100 million experience code was a godsend. Thanks again!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

ArchmageRandius wrote:I tried the Key Combo option, but it doesn't seem to work. I put the button pattern "Up, wait 0.5 seconds, B, B, B, down, wait 0.5 seconds" and the Soul guy moves up for 0.5 seconds, fires only once, then moves back down. I don't understand why he isn't firing 3 times from the 3 B's in the combo.
you need to insert a few frame delays in there. as it is, the macro's hitting B three times in about 1/20th of a second (i.e. you've hit B the second and third time before Blader ever finishes his first swing).

experiment with the delays until the timing is correct. you'll get a feel for it quickly.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.