Couple of questions

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Smokin Kipper

Couple of questions

Post by Smokin Kipper »

1)Why doesn't the search option work on these boards? If I search for anything it just says no results found, even topics I can clearly see on the first page.

2)For games that have built in saves such as Mario World, Yoshi's Island etc is there anyway to share their saves between the different versions of ZSNES? So if I'm using 1.42 for netplay and the latest to get the best performance can I use the same saves or do I need to use save states?

3)In version 1.42 what are the optimum settings for playing Yoshi's Island? I have it running perfectly using 800x600 DS Full with Tripple Buffering, High-Res mode 7, HQ3X, New Grfx engine and VSync however when I reach Bigger Boo's castle in the area where you ride the log over the lava I start getting glitchy graphics. If I tick Use old graphics engine it fixes it but if I leave this on I get glitches in dark levels. Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to keep switching between the two modes?

Thanks
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Couple of questions

Post by odditude »

Smokin Kipper wrote:1)Why doesn't the search option work on these boards? If I search for anything it just says no results found, even topics I can clearly see on the first page.
chalk it up to growing pains. the board was just upgraded to phpBB3 over the weekend.
Smokin Kipper wrote:2)For games that have built in saves such as Mario World, Yoshi's Island etc is there anyway to share their saves between the different versions of ZSNES? So if I'm using 1.42 for netplay and the latest to get the best performance can I use the same saves or do I need to use save states?
actually, you NEED to use the battery save (*.srm) files. save states are not compatible across versions.
Smokin Kipper wrote:3)In version 1.42 what are the optimum settings for playing Yoshi's Island? I have it running perfectly using 800x600 DS Full with Triple Buffering, High-Res mode 7, HQ3X, New Gfx engine and VSync however when I reach Bigger Boo's castle in the area where you ride the log over the lava I start getting glitchy graphics. If I tick Use old graphics engine it fixes it but if I leave this on I get glitches in dark levels. Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to keep switching between the two modes?
more than likely, the correct answer is "use a newer version" - but someone else may have a more accurate response.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Smokin Kipper

Post by Smokin Kipper »

In my Zsnes folder there is a file called "Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (E) (M3) (V1.0) [!]" is that the file you are reffering to?

I downloaded the latest version earlier today and tried to move this file but the new version wouldn't recognise it and even worse the older version wouldn't recognise it either so for some reason the file became useless on both versions.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i meant a newer version of zsnes.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Not sure if the bugs are zsnes specific or not, but you may want to try running the NTSC "(U)" version. Some PAL versions have weird timing problems, which might be made worse in emulators.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

There is very little reason to play PAL versions anyway, unless you must have a slower game and possibly more than one language option.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Smokin Kipper

Post by Smokin Kipper »

I might as well upgrade to the newer version but how can I maintain my progress in Yoshi's Island on the new version of ZSNES?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

odditude wrote:you NEED to use the battery save (*.srm) files
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Smokin Kipper

Post by Smokin Kipper »

I've tried moving the srm file twice but the new version doesn't recognise it and I have to start over.
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

Verify that the directory where you put the srm files is the same as the save directory for the new Zsnes version. You can check what directory Zsnes is using by viewing the config.cfg file in the Zsnes directory.
What?
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Smokin Kipper wrote:In my Zsnes folder there is a file called "Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (E) (M3) (V1.0) [!]" is that the file you are reffering to?
Not sure; There is no file extension in that name, so it's hard to tell whether or not it's the correct file. The correct file should have the same name as the ROM itself (can have a number of different extension names, some common ones are .FIG, .SMC, .SFC), and it should have an extension of .SRM. That does look like a valid ROM name, so you should be fine there but check just to make sure.

Windows by default hides the extensions of files, so you would either need to right-click on the file and examine it's properties, or you can set folder options to show file extensions.

The save states (emulator specific saves not compatible with different versions of emulators) will have the same name as the ROM with some sort of .ZST extension (multiple saves will change that extension to like .ZS1 .ZS2 IIRC).

Just make sure you backup the .SRM before doing anything with it!