I hate Linux

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

funkyass
"God"

Re: I hate Linux

Post by funkyass »

sweener2001 wrote:i don't like opera just because i think it's ugly as sin.
thats the reason why I avoided opera till the late 9 series, and I only use it at work.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah that's something that bugs me about Opera... I really wish it had the option to use the native controls as much as possible. Every program should do this, really. At LEAST try to match the system colors without looking broken/terrible.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

what really put me off was the CLUTTERED FIRST SCREEN it used to present.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Hm..

It turns out that Google Chrome passes Acid 3 100% too, in addition to Acid 1 and Acid 2. And it's open source, unlike Opera... well it looks like I've got a new browser. It's interface is awesome, too.

Clean, fun and friendly.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm a bitter old fart.
I use Seamonkey, as begotten from Mozilla Suite, as begotten from Netscape Navigator, as begotten from Mosaic.

All this new-fangled googlebox and search toolbar and no menubar nonsense is for sissies. REAL MEN use apps with a GUI from 1993(or 2003).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm a bitter old fart.
I use Seamonkey, as begotten from Mozilla Suite, as begotten from Netscape Navigator, as begotten from Mosaic.

All this new-fangled googlebox and search toolbar and no menubar nonsense is for sissies. REAL MEN use apps with a GUI from 1993(or 2003).
x2
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

grinvader wrote:

x2
Iceape for myself (Debian fork of Seamonkey) but yeah, all the same as above.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

lordmister wrote:Google Chrome [...] looks like I've got a new browser
SRWare Iron > Google Chrome
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

creaothceann wrote:
lordmister wrote:Google Chrome [...] looks like I've got a new browser
SRWare Iron > Google Chrome
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

lordmister wrote:Hm..

It turns out that Google Chrome passes Acid 3 100% too, in addition to Acid 1 and Acid 2. And it's open source, unlike Opera... well it looks like I've got a new browser. It's interface is awesome, too.

Clean, fun and friendly.
it may be open source but they like to know everything about you. I never understood what was so cool about the interface either, it has no soul.

In any case Iron is a good way to go unfortunately it's very outdated at the moment.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Panzer88 wrote:it may be open source but they like to know everything about you.

<Aerdan>    Unrelatedly, for the benefit of people who complain about Google's tracking in Chrome: http://inari.aerdan.org/gallery/chromeopts.png
<Aerdan>    Because really, if you need that image to figure out how to disable it, you're an idiot.
You are.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Never use Iron. It rips out all the tracking. Including things that just have 'Tracker' in the name and are otherwise irrelevant (which an actual developer would know is irrelevant). Plus, the fact that it's independently maintained does indeed mean it's going to be out of date. But hey, if you're so paranoid you'd rather have lots of security holes than let Google have anonymous statistics, then go right ahead and be too retarded to survive in this world.

Props to grin for alerting and quoting me.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

tukuyomi wrote:
grinvader wrote:

x2
Iceape for myself (Debian fork of Seamonkey) but yeah, all the same as above.
No, Iceape is a Debian rebranding of Seamonkey inspired by Mozilla's asking people to either not patch Firefox/Seamonkey or not ship them as Firefox/Seamonkey.

Iceweasel and Iceape are also GNU forks that nobody really cares about because GNU sucks. (GNU sucks so much that Debian et al are using eglibc instead of glibc, and posixutils instead of coreutils, etc.)
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

grinvader wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:it may be open source but they like to know everything about you.

<Aerdan>    Unrelatedly, for the benefit of people who complain about Google's tracking in Chrome: http://inari.aerdan.org/gallery/chromeopts.png
<Aerdan>    Because really, if you need that image to figure out how to disable it, you're an idiot.
You are.
heh, I use either variant of the browser so I don't really care.

my main point was that people see them as their own benevolent father, but they are businessmen, same as most, and they are making money on your statistics. It was a response to someone talking about how open source and loving google is.

As for disabling it, that only disables part of the tracking within the browser (albeit the largest part)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

No.

By unchecking all of the encircled checkboxes, you disable all of Chrome's tracking. I have confirmed this with one of Google's engineers, who actually works on the damn thing. Unlike you.

And you may interpret the periods in the above as being "you fucking idiot". Since, y'know, you are.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Aerdan wrote:No.

By unchecking all of the encircled checkboxes, you disable all of Chrome's tracking. I have confirmed this with one of Google's engineers, who actually works on the damn thing. Unlike you.

And you may interpret the periods in the above as being "you fucking idiot". Since, y'know, you are.
BIASED SOURCE!111
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

No, that would be Google's marketing department.

You're welcome to source-dive and prove me wrong, though.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The !111 denotes sarcasm.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Nowadays I use Opera as my main browser with Chrome as a backup. I switched from Firefox when it started to appear noticeably slow compared to the competition, but apparently they are working on that now.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

anything that is less bloated are better i guess?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Iron really sounds like it is for paranoid people to be honest. If you are incapable of disabling a few options, then I guess there's not much else to say.

At least Chrome 5 is out...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

...this thread is still going?

I just installed Chrome 5 on my AMD64 Ubuntu box. At least I'm not using a beta version of the software anymore.