So.. What am I missing out on? (Snes9x 1.52)

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

orly?yarly!

So.. What am I missing out on? (Snes9x 1.52)

Post by orly?yarly! »

I SWEAR I have an AMD CPU that's supposed to be Core 2-level and a Windows XP OS, but I don't know why SNES9x (for all my life) will not work for me. It won't even start.
I've heard all my life that ZSNES was the best emu for this system until the release of the fan-build SNES9x 1.52.
So what's so great about it besides having WAY better sound?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: So.. What am I missing out on? (Snes9x 1.52)

Post by odditude »

what processor?

what error do you get with snes9x?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
orly?yarly!

Post by orly?yarly! »

It won't start (the .zip or .RAR or whatever it is won't even open), and I believe I have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+. And I am absolutely sure that I have an .RAR extraction method (Free .RAR Extract Frog or FREF) if it is .RAR.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

1. Make sure you have downloaded the official file not some random package from the interwebs.
2. Try to use some other archive extractor like 7zip instead of some random obscure program.
3. If you can't figure out if it's a .zip or .rar you should probably enable "Show File Extensions" in windows folder options or learn how to right-click/show file properties.
odditude

Post by odditude »

orly?yarly! wrote:I believe I have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+.
yeah, definitely not on-par with a core 2. doesn't support sse2, let alone sse3 (or ssse3 or sse4).
thoroughbred and barton were valiant attempts to counter the northwood pentium 4, but didn't quite have the oomph to match the northwood 'B' variant (and were utterly crushed by the 'C' variant).

for the record, the core 2 equivalent would be the phenom or phenom II - either way, about two and a half generations newer than your chip (which is likely from ~2004).

anyways, like paulguy said - if the archive won't open, it's corrupt. redownload it from the proper source.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Yeah, redownload from one of the links listed in the thread below:

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4542

Yep, Snes9x 1.52 is a bit ahead of the latest stable ZSNES SVN build, especially in terms of sound and compatibility, particularly with certain special chip games. Overall, its a good alternative to SnesGT, which is also really good for your kind of setup.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

odditude wrote:... paulguy...
Got me on the mind eh? I didn't even post in this thread yet. :)
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
odditude

Post by odditude »

paulguy wrote:
odditude wrote:... paulguy...
Got me on the mind eh? I didn't even post in this thread yet. :)
yeah, brainfarts aplenty this week.