Sound problems while playing Contra 3

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

MethidMan

Sound problems while playing Contra 3

Post by MethidMan »

I've been noticing weird sound effects with ZSNES on Contra 3 (I've yet to notice any sound defectiveness in other games). For instance, the fire and missile sound effects sound kinda "spluttery" compared to the real game and on Snes9x. I've made a couple of audio samples of the gameplay's sound effects (the Spreader weapon and flame gush) for comparison. Here's how it sounds like in Snes9x and here's how it sounds like in ZSNES on my computer. This is regardless of whatever I set the frequency and interpolation to.

Could it just be my computer? Or is that just the best ZSNES can deal? In case it's necessary, here are my computer's specs:

Windows 7 Home
Toshiba Satellite L455
Intel Celeron 900
2GB RAM
Sound device: Realtek High Definition Audio (this is up-to-date)

If you guys need more info, lemme know.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Sound problems while playing Contra 3

Post by odditude »

that's the best you're getting out of the current version of ZSNES.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The sound emulation in ZSNES 1.51 is very inaccurate and this has been know for ages now. Wait for a new version or use an older version of ZSNES. If you must have more accurate sound emulation right now, uses Snes9x.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
MethidMan

Post by MethidMan »

Wait, you're saying older versions have better sound?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Maybe better timing between the different components, which would affect some sound effects. I don't know what changes were made to the actual sound core that would affect the quality other than that.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

old
what makes the very old version sound core, that produces the infamous "uuueeee....uuuueeeew" sound for wind sfx in FF3U?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Rashidi wrote:
old
what makes the very old version sound core, that produces the infamous "uuueeee....uuuueeeew" sound for wind sfx in FF3U?
Remembers the seagulls from Chrono Trigger
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Rashidi wrote:
old
Don't they... all do that? Or some other variation of "not quite right".
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae