Jailbreaking and DVD backups actually legal in US now

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Jailbreaking and DVD backups actually legal in US now

Post by sweener2001 »

So, the Librarian of Congress has made his three-year evaluation of the DMCA and added some very nice exemptions.

among them, dvd backups, jailbreaking and unlocking phones, circumventing ebook DRM, and even pc game DRM breaking, but not for personal use. also DRM breaking if the program requires an obsolete dongle.

warranties are still an issue with jailbreaking, but motorola probably can't pull the trigger on the e-fuse in the droid-x now. or they'll have to release an update de-activating the e-fuse, i can't remember what that phone's situation is. jailbreaking in general might become easier, now, as well. some new blood will more than likely enter the scene now that the legality of the matter is decided.

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Libr ... ement.html
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Re: Jailbreaking and DVD backups actually legal in US now

Post by franpa »

sweener2001 wrote:among them, dvd backups, jailbreaking and unlocking phones, circumventing ebook DRM, and even pc game DRM breaking, but not for personal use. also DRM breaking if the program requires an obsolete dongle.
So, we can do all that so long as we never ever actually make use of any of it? Or can we only do it if we intend to share it with someone else?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Franpa:

US law != Oz law.

However, Australian law does already offer some DVD backup and copying provisions according to "fair dealing" rulings (which are similar to what the US has just implemented), which are for educational uses *only*, and there are strict controls over what a "fair dealing" or suitable amount of work is. :?
This person is a fucking douchebag, they should die.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

mudlord wrote:Franpa:

US law != Oz law.

However, Australian law does already offer some DVD backup and copying provisions according to "fair dealing" rulings (which are similar to what the US has just implemented), which are for educational uses *only*, and there are strict controls over what a "fair dealing" or suitable amount of work is. :?
I am aware I am not in America. I am aware it only affects America.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Oh, just your post suggested otherwise.

Oh well. :)
This person is a fucking douchebag, they should die.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

franpa wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:among them, dvd backups, jailbreaking and unlocking phones, circumventing ebook DRM, and even pc game DRM breaking, but not for personal use. also DRM breaking if the program requires an obsolete dongle.
So, we can do all that so long as we never ever actually make use of any of it? Or can we only do it if we intend to share it with someone else?
that bit is fuzzy. the only part that the "not for personal use" applied to was pc game drm breaking.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]