Mac emulators

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Gonzo
Regular

Mac emulators

Post by Gonzo »

Hi,

I have recently got a macbook. This is the first mac I have ever owned.
I have been a pc user all my life, so I am still getting my head around using a mac.
Anyway, I have been into emulation for years, but never on a mac. I was hoping you guys could recommend the best emulators I should get for the following systems;

SNES
NES
SMS
GENESIS
N64
GAMEBOY / GAMEBOY COLOUR
PLAYSTATION 1
GAMEBOY ADVANCE
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Mac emulators

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You still ARE a PC user.
Macs were personal computers last I checked.
Hell, the new ones are even IBM PC clones like everybody else in the consumer market.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:You still ARE a PC user.
Macs were personal computers last I checked.
Hell, the new ones are even IBM PC clones like everybody else in the consumer market.
Don't care.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Ok, I've managed to cross most of the emulators off my list. The only one I am having a hard time with is a playstation emulator. I heard from a friend that there isn't a really good ps emulator for the mac, so I'm wondering if it's a lost cause or does anyone know of a good emulator?
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I don't have a Mac, but this seemed to be the best I could find:

http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You'll be that Bannister guy's bitch.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Which is to say, that Bannister guy. If you bought a recent Macbook you should have no problems running Bannister's BSNES port, but if you do there's an official Snes9x port. I think there's a half-decent port of some other SNES emulator starting with 'Z' too, can't remember the name, though.

Oh, and for news and resources, you'll want to hit up Mac Emuscene, which.. uhh, has apparently been renamed to MacScene since the last time I visited, all those years ago.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Thristian wrote:Which is to say, that Bannister guy. If you bought a recent Macbook you should have no problems running Bannister's BSNES port, but if you do there's an official Snes9x port. I think there's a half-decent port of some other SNES emulator starting with 'Z' too, can't remember the name, though.
ZSNES perhaps? ;) :mrgreen:

having said that, isn't the official snes9x port made by Zones good enough?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Clements wrote:I don't have a Mac, but this seemed to be the best I could find:

http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/
Ok, I tried that emulator out, but it seems to only play cd's. The only game I really want to play, Suikoden 2, I only have an ISO of. Thanks anyway though :)

I've tried several PS emulators and they all either just crash on me or also only play cd's.

I think I'll just forget about PS emulators for now, I might consider putting XP or windows 7 on my macbook, but it seems a bit ridiculous to put another operating system on my computer just to use one emulator.

All the other emulators I've tried for the other systems seem to work fine, so I can't complain too much.
Thristian wrote:Which is to say, that Bannister guy. If you bought a recent Macbook you should have no problems running Bannister's BSNES port, but if you do there's an official Snes9x port. I think there's a half-decent port of some other SNES emulator starting with 'Z' too, can't remember the name, though.

Oh, and for news and resources, you'll want to hit up Mac Emuscene, which.. uhh, has apparently been renamed to MacScene since the last time I visited, all those years ago.
Cheers for the links. I've added them to my bookmarks. I think I will be going back to them a fair bit.
adventure_of_link wrote: ZSNES perhaps? ;) :mrgreen:

having said that, isn't the official snes9x port made by Zones good enough?
snes9x was the emulator I grabbed for the snes and so far it works great. It's funny, on all my old computers I could never get snes9x to work, it always crashed on me.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Might be some CD emulation software you could use.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote: Ok, I tried that emulator out, but it seems to only play cd's. The only game I really want to play, Suikoden 2, I only have an ISO of. Thanks anyway though :)
Burn it? I know it's a bit cumbersome, but...
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Gonzo wrote: Ok, I tried that emulator out, but it seems to only play cd's. The only game I really want to play, Suikoden 2, I only have an ISO of. Thanks anyway though :)
Burn it? I know it's a bit cumbersome, but...
I'm playing around with daemons at the moment without much luck so it looks like I might just have to do that. I haven't got any blank cd's on me at the moment, but I can give it a go on the weekend.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

paulguy wrote:Might be some CD emulation software you could use.
Last time I used Mac OS X (admittedly some years ago) Roxio Toast Titanium had that feature. It was enough to fool PCSX, anyway.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Ok, so just thought I'd give you a quick update.
I ended up getting a version of parallel desktop and winxp so I'm running espxe now for my playstation emulation. I totally forgot about a bunch of windows only games I had left at my sisters place which kind of tipped me into deciding to put xp on my macbook. So between all the mac emulators and now having xp, I've got my emulation needs all covered :D

So anyway, thanks guys for all the help :)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Reason to buy a Mac #1: As an IBM PC clone, It can run Windows. Wait, what?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

"see also: Reason to buy a PSP #1"
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Heh, I'm guessing you're wondering why I got a macbook, when I just ended up putting xp on it as well, when I should have just got an IBM laptop.

Basically, I enrolled in a film school a few months ago and they had a deal with apple where new students could get a macbook with the system specs:

2.6 gHz processor
4 gb ram
500 gb hard drive

The laptops also included Final Cut Pro and Adobe Master Suite CS5.

This deal only cost us $500 aud.

My last laptop had recently died on me and I couldn't afford anything even remotely as good as this deal, so naturally I took my film school up on their offer.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:Heh, I'm guessing you're wondering why I got a macbook, when I just ended up putting xp on it as well, when I should have just got an IBM laptop.
Pretty much.
You DID get an IBM laptop. Macs haven't been a unique platform since they shifted to Intel processors.

This genuinely makes me sad.
Pretentious fucks or not, the Macintosh was the last competing personal computer platform. Now it's all IBM PCs at the consumer level.
And the IBM PC was a horrible platform that never should have won.
Basically, I enrolled in a film school a few months ago and they had a deal with apple where new students could get a macbook with the system specs:

2.6 gHz processor
4 gb ram
500 gb hard drive

The laptops also included Final Cut Pro and Adobe Master Suite CS5.

This deal only cost us $500 aud.

My last laptop had recently died on me and I couldn't afford anything even remotely as good as this deal, so naturally I took my film school up on their offer.
That actually makes sense. Helluva deal, actually.
Redirect any snide remarks to Apple's front door.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads