Legal Permissions

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

ntr11023

Legal Permissions

Post by ntr11023 »

Hey ZSNES team!

I have been searching for hours to try to find how to contact you. I couldn't figure out how to, and this alleged "Radio" guy doesn't show up in any searches. I'll just post my question here. If this is the wrong place, whatever. Just answer my question.

So, I posted a video a few months ago that includes footage of ZSNES. It has recently been accepted for YouTube partnership. But according to the YouTube terms of service, I need your permission to enable revenue sharing since I'm using content created by ya'll. If I don't get your permission before I enable revenue sharing, then my video will be taken down. So, will you give me permission to enable revenue sharing on a video I posted that includes footage from ZSNES?

Thanks!!!
ntr11023
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Legal Permissions

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ntr11023 wrote:Hey ZSNES team!

I have been searching for hours to try to find how to contact you. I couldn't figure out how to, and this alleged "Radio" guy doesn't show up in any searches. I'll just post my question here. If this is the wrong place, whatever. Just answer my question.
Radio was only responsible for site design, not actual ZSNES development.
I WISH I could say he was only alleged to exist, but... he does.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

We really do need to update the website.

Also, I don't really know why you would think that you need permission to show videos of zsnes. At the very least zsnes is GPL, so there is nothing stopping you from profiting provided any source code changes remain publicly available.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: I WISH I could say he was only alleged to exist, but... he does.
hahaha
yeah, radio was a dick.
I could so throw a ddr reference in right now but nah, I'm too tired/drunk.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Yeah I doubt you'd need permission for that. Did all of those people with partnership posting gameplay videos and such get permission from the game copyright holders, for example?

My wild uneducated guess would be that legally it's something like taking and selling a photo of a building; you don't need the architect's permission for that.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Johan_H wrote:My wild uneducated guess would be that legally it's something like taking and selling a photo of a building; you don't need the architect's permission for that.
That one actually depends who you are and what you intend to do with the photo.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

badinsults wrote:We really do need to update the website.

Also, I don't really know why you would think that you need permission to show videos of zsnes. At the very least zsnes is GPL, so there is nothing stopping you from profiting provided any source code changes remain publicly available.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure. The page says, "YouTube Partnership Program: Tutorial
What types of videos are acceptable for revenue sharing

The basic guidelines are simple: for a video to be eligible, you must have worldwide distribution rights to everything in the video, and it must abide by our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.

Here are some specific examples of things that would make a video ineligible:

•Your video contains content that you didn't create or get permission from its creator to use, such as:
◦music
◦video images
◦photographs or artwork
◦live event
◦video game footage
◦any other copyrighted content
•Your video shows people from whom you did not get permission
•Your video has content that would be inappropriate for children. We limit the YouTube Partnership Program to videos that can be shown to all age groups.
We take our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines seriously, and so should you. Let us help you profit from your videos rather than take them off the site by making sure they conform to these guidelines.

If your video does not conform to these guidelines, it may be removed from the site."

ZSNES falls under the category of "any other copyrighted content". I didn't think it would be a problem. I just wanted to make sure and get written permission so that in the case that I get troll'd, I can pull out a hard copy and show that I am not showing anything that I don't have permission to use.

Thanks!!
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

You don't need permission from us to use ZSNES for your purposes on YouTube. Many people use ZSNES to capture game output and this is fine. We don't have any licensing on the output ZSNES produces since most of it is from a 3rd party. But if you want to give us money that's fine too. ;)
Watering ur plants.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ntr11023 wrote:ZSNES falls under the category of "any other copyrighted content". I didn't think it would be a problem. I just wanted to make sure and get written permission so that in the case that I get troll'd, I can pull out a hard copy and show that I am not showing anything that I don't have permission to use.

Thanks!!
I'd be more worried about the game developers than the emulatorn developers, personally.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'd be more worried about the game developers than the emulatorn developers, personally.
I am. I'm in the process of contacting them. And no, I didn't do anything stupid. All I mentioned was that I had a video that contained content from Super Mario World. That's all I said about it:)
Alvein
Rookie

Post by Alvein »

congratulations on getting to be a partner, great way to make a little extra money in these hard economic times.
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

Alvein wrote:congratulations on getting to be a partner, great way to make a little extra money in these hard economic times.
Well, I have recieved indirect permission from Nintendo. They replied to me and said it's their policy to deny any requests, but they also said, "Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization." That's indirectly giving permission under the equal enforcement act (I can't remember the exact name), which states that all laws must be enforced equally. Since there are other videos of videogames on YouTube that have ads on them that Nintendo has not saught legal action against, they couldn't seek legal action against my video. Google may take down the video and put a strike against my account, but all I have to do to get it back up and reverse the strike is call on the equal enforcement act. Because of the equal enforcement act, there is absolutely no way that removing my video or disabling ads will be anything but a disadvantage to Google.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'm curious. Is there a way to get partnership for the longer video length allowed, but not enable the ads?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

paulguy wrote:I'm curious. Is there a way to get partnership for the longer video length allowed, but not enable the ads?
You know how to bypass the 10-minute limit? How? I need to know to answer your question.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

A few months ago, they raised the time limit to 15 minutes.

Edit: before that, there was only one way to get that limit raised: by getting permission from Youtube. Of course, they only granted it to big companies that put TV and movies on Youtube...

There was a method they killed years ago, however. Used to, you could get a $10 or so Director's Account and get a time limit of like two hours or something. They removed the longer time limit back in 2007 or so, though.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

badinsults wrote:You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.
Except sometimes YouTube will take down videos (not just VG stuff, I'm talking in general), even if they'd meet the fair use requirements.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

That is because Google is pussy.
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

adventure_of_link wrote:Except sometimes YouTube will take down videos (not just VG stuff, I'm talking in general), even if they'd meet the fair use requirements.
If that happens, just file a counter-claim. It'll usually get your video back up.
I.S.T. wrote:A few months ago, they raised the time limit to 15 minutes.

Edit: before that, there was only one way to get that limit raised: by getting permission from Youtube. Of course, they only granted it to big companies that put TV and movies on Youtube...

There was a method they killed years ago, however. Used to, you could get a $10 or so Director's Account and get a time limit of like two hours or something. They removed the longer time limit back in 2007 or so, though.
Idiots. I'd pay $10 to remove the time limit. But this is Google we're talking about, so why am I so surprised? But the time limit is now 15 minutes... I can take advantage of that.
badinsults wrote:You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.
Interesting... Please explain.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

Copyright law

read about it

Perhaps you could use Google to find more information about it? I have no idea what country you live in.
ntr11023

Post by ntr11023 »

badinsults wrote:Copyright law

read about it

Perhaps you could use Google to find more information about it? I have no idea what country you live in.
Haha use Google... I'll take another look at it. It's just annoying having YouTube take down a video that took 12 hours to make.