Is It Possible To Implement Blarrg's NES Filter To FCEUX?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

ssj4evil

Is It Possible To Implement Blarrg's NES Filter To FCEUX?

Post by ssj4evil »

any suggestions? cause i use FCEUX as my main emulator on my cpu, and i just love it to death, the debugger and sound quality just rocks. i do like blargg's nes filter that's on NESTOPIA, and i was wondering if it was possible to add it to FCEUX. any help would be great!
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Is It Possible To Implement Blarrg's NES Filter To FCEUX

Post by paulguy »

What does this have to do with zsnes? I'd check if there's an fceux forum or if you can contact any of the devs. They'd be the ones who could give you a response.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
ssj4evil

Post by ssj4evil »

yes i know, but ive tried a few forums like nesdev.parodius.org and a few others, but i couldn't get a response or reply from anyone, so i figured i'd give this forum a try, just was hoping that somebody could help me with my question simply. that's all.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

if you haven't checked their irc channel yet, you should do so.

if it's dead, then your only option is to go digging in the source and add it yourself.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
ssj4evil

Post by ssj4evil »

The Point Is, Is That I Don't Know How.... Im Just One Of Those Emulator Geeks That Enjoy Retro Style Filters, Especially BLARRG'S Handy Work For Sure On NESTOPIA. I Have No Clue How To Implement That Filter Into A Source Code. Just Needed A Helping Hand On Who DOES Know How, To Put It Simply.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Image Why Is It That When The Subject Of Code Edition Is Broached Your Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Posture Of Surrender Imaginable
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Why not just use Nestopia?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah, I'd just use Nestopia for general purpose playing, but use FCEUX when you need debugging.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

IIRC FCEUX already has blargg's filter.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Apparently, FCEUXD does not.
ssj4evil

Post by ssj4evil »

really? IIRC FCEUX? ive never heard of that, do u have a link u can post? OR do u mean the latest version of FCEUX 2.1.4a? cause that NTSC2X filter is horrible, it's too blocky and ugly, nothing like NESTOPIA's ntsc filter, unless im somehow doing something wrong, and everytime i try to use NTSC2X without disabling hardware acceleration, the emulator crashes, fullscreen or in window mode, it sucks really bad, but yea post a link if u can, thanks.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

IIRC = if i recall correctly
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
ssj4evil

Post by ssj4evil »

oh haha DURR!!, anyways, yea the latest FCEUX's ntsc filter is just awful, ive tried everything to match the filter to NESTOPIA's filter, but no luck, it doesn't seem to have bilinear interpolation with the filter either from what i can see like NESTOPIA does, any suggestions?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

It's possible that FCEUX isn't applying bilinear filtering when scaling the image vertically, so you get blocky scanlines.
ssj4evil

Post by ssj4evil »

hmmmm i see, i'll see if i can experiment with it a little bit and see if i can have better luck with it, i just don't understand why everytime i use NTSC2X, it won't let me set the bpps to 32 and when i don't have the Disable Hardware Acceleration checkmarked, it crashes everytime and when i DO have it checkmarked, it's sloppy as hell, it only works on 16 bpps for some odd reason and it's ugly as hell on that setting, talk about a complicated filter, wow.