WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Rashidi
Trooper

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by Rashidi »

hasn't got dnf yet, so is the multiplayer better than dn3d?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Rashidi wrote:hasn't got dnf yet, so is the multiplayer better than dn3d?
Hard to say. The games were laggy as hell, but my ISP is more than likely to blame there. I couldn't really do a fair comparison, considering the last time I played Duke3d multi-player it was over modem when I was still an awkward teen.

I found it enjoyable, but I got stomped a lot. Literally. Fucking shrink ray.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And I play single-player, because I don't have friends.
Or at least, no friends I can sit down and play games with.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

just got the arcade edition addon for ssf4 - having a post-Comic Con mini gaming party tomorrow with that + mk + marvel2 + tatsunoko + x-arcade stick, and probably some ydkj and buzz, too.

i still maintain the best defense against projectile spamming is a well-aimed elbow to the ribs :D

besides that, just need to do edward's trial in the lunar ruins and clean up a few bestiary entries before moving on to interlude (ff4psp). probably starting infamous2 on monday.

and because i'm insane (and regretted selling my copies back when i was a broke-ass college student), i picked up excellent-condition copies of BoF3 and 4 at this awesome little game trading store when we were in Austin. they had everything from used consoles (yellowed SNES decks were $10 cheaper) to boxed Dreamcasts to ColecoVision games, the biggest Saturn selection i've seen since '97 or so, and even a LttP cart that had been re-shelled because the original shell was damaged (it was obvious because they just put a label over the replacement shell's label and wrote in "Zelda III"). plus, they had the kind of staff willing to pull consoles out and hook them to a TV so you could make sure the games you were buying actually worked before taking them home some 1500 miles away. besides that, Austin is an awesome little city - i definitely want to go back there sometime, maybe for SXSW.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Posting with my 3DS to say I'm playing Link's Awakening DX on the Virtual Console, Ocarina of Time 3D, and planning to replay F.E.A.R., which I recently bought on the Steam weekend sale.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

For a while, I was playing a lot of Super Stardust HD. That game has to be one of the most addicting games I've played. As with odditude, I'm playing SSFIV:AE. Sounds like you had tons of fun too.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

OutLand and Dead Nation. Good times.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
odditude

Post by odditude »

yep, good times were had =)

MK is kinda hilarious when nobody bothers to look at the movelists except to try and do a fatality - especially since the movesets and the inputs for those moves that are still around have changed rather dramatically since MK2. that's the first time i've ever tried a game without at least looking at the book and in-game movelists... but the book is a trifold leaflet with nothing but the safety & regulatory info and "to go online, use the keycode in the box." button-mash fests punctuated by the occasional "how'd i do that" special move and the spamming of any move that HAD been figured out.

the best part is the "ooooooo! OHHHHHHH!" from everyone watching the first time someone lands a new x-ray move (they're just L2+R2 together, we figured that out immediately).

infamous 2 is absolutely fantastic - i haven't had the "gotta play, GOTTA PLAY!" urge in a while. there's even that little voice going "c'mon, you can fit in one mission before work..."
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:Ohhhhh, man alive! Nothing feels better.
It's just... why I've gotta play, I've gotta play !
Someone's been plugged in some weird mainframe again.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

* Dissidia 012 Duodecium Final Fantasy
* Dissidia Final Fantasy
* Super Mario Bros 3
* Super Paper Mario
* Final Fantasy 2/4 (I'm actually close to finishing it this time.. Damn Zeromus :x)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

I recently clocked Illusion of Gaia for the snes and Resident Evil 3 on PC. I'm playing Risk 2 for PC a fair bit at the moment.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote: (I'm actually close to finishing it this time.. Damn Zeromus :x)
use curaja and don't prompt his counters (aka avoid holy and meteor to not get whacked by meteor as a counter, and avoid black magic in general if his flare counter does too much damage to you). don't bother with haste/berserk/shell, since black hole will nullify them anyway. if big bang is killing you outright, you're underleveled (and probably are terrified of red dragons and wickedmasks).

it doesn't take very long to go through his 200k hp if you're doing even 2500 per hit from cecil/kain/edge.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Also he really does not like Bahumat.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:I recently clocked Illusion of Gaia for the snes ...
Oddly, I just finished a rerun of that yesterday.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Did you get all the red jewels?
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gonzo wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
metal mantis is a much bigger pain in the ass when you can't just walk backwards on the conveyer belts with your sword out.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

odditude wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
metal mantis is a much bigger pain in the ass when you can't just walk backwards on the conveyer belts with your sword out.
I hear ya, he was a pushover boss in Soul Blazer. I found him almost impossible to beat in Illusion of Gaia, the only way I ended up getting him was by dumb luck. I was on the bottom side of the left conveyer belt and he was on the top side. He kept throwing fire balls at me but I was standing in a spot where they just went around me. As soon as the fireballs went past I ran at him and hit him, then ran back to the spot where the fireballs go around you. Then he'd throw more fireballs, and I'd repeat the process. I tried to do it a second time but I miss timed running at him and got hit by a fireball, which knocked me out of position. Then I tried to get back into position, but his fireballs kept hitting me and knocking me back. Basically he fucked me up from there.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gonzo wrote:I hear ya, he was a pushover boss in Soul Blazer. I found him almost impossible to beat in Illusion of Gaia
Which actually makes sense in-universe, with the whole jewel thing. Probably up in the top 50 smartest boss of all games.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

odditude wrote:use curaja and don't prompt his counters (aka avoid holy and meteor to not get whacked by meteor as a counter, and avoid black magic in general if his flare counter does too much damage to you). don't bother with haste/berserk/shell, since black hole will nullify them anyway. if big bang is killing you outright, you're underleveled (and probably are terrified of red dragons and wickedmasks).

it doesn't take very long to go through his 200k hp if you're doing even 2500 per hit from cecil/kain/edge.
by Curaja you mean Cure4 right? Keep in mind this is FF2 US on the SNES. I don't remember seeing holy/meteor combos, though. but yeah, big bang is doing some pretty hefty damage there. :(

Thanks for the heads-up on no haste/berserk/shell though.
I.S.T. wrote:Also he really does not like Bahumat.
With the one guy known as such here, I wouldn't be surprised.. :P and I do believe I did use him (hell he does A LOT of damage per hit; sometimes as much as a darted Excalibur..)
Gonzo wrote:I hear ya, he was a pushover boss in Soul Blazer. I found him almost impossible to beat in Illusion of Gaia, the only way I ended up getting him was by dumb luck. I was on the bottom side of the left conveyer belt and he was on the top side. He kept throwing fire balls at me but I was standing in a spot where they just went around me. As soon as the fireballs went past I ran at him and hit him, then ran back to the spot where the fireballs go around you. Then he'd throw more fireballs, and I'd repeat the process. I tried to do it a second time but I miss timed running at him and got hit by a fireball, which knocked me out of position. Then I tried to get back into position, but his fireballs kept hitting me and knocking me back. Basically he fucked me up from there.
While it's still a pain in the ass, I've had good results spamming Spin Dash on him every time.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Yes, but failed miserably at the bonus dungeon.
I've beaten him before, if it matters at all.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
odditude wrote:use curaja and don't prompt his counters (aka avoid holy and meteor to not get whacked by meteor as a counter, and avoid black magic in general if his flare counter does too much damage to you). don't bother with haste/berserk/shell, since black hole will nullify them anyway. if big bang is killing you outright, you're underleveled (and probably are terrified of red dragons and wickedmasks).

by Curaja you mean Cure4 right? Keep in mind this is FF2 US on the SNES. I don't remember seeing holy/meteor combos, though. but yeah, big bang is doing some pretty hefty damage there. :(

Thanks for the heads-up on no haste/berserk/shell though.
didn't realize you meant ff2us. much easier then.

shell's a nonissue, since it doesn't exist in that game. holy = white, flare = nuke, meteor = meteo. edge should be throwing everything but the kitchen sink (since there's no postgame to worry about your stuff for), although the only things that will likely do significantly more damage than his regular attack (masumune + murasame) are the spoon, excalibur, and however many ninja stars you picked up/bought. rosa should stick to cure4, and equip best staff you have for the will boost (either silence staff if you got one via rare drop or the one you get in lunar subterrane that casts life1, don't remember its name). someone else (rydia) should use an elixir on her if you somehow manage to blow through all her mp. cecil should just attack (crystal sword). kain should jump unless he needs healing, in which case he should use regular attacks (lance of white) til the next cure4. rydia's a liability if you can't take zeromus's spell counters, in which case she shouldn't do anything other than attack (flame whip or dragon whip if you got it), use items (cure3 potions/elixirs on anyone who's hurting too much to wait for rosa's next spell), and summon asura if you're desperate (and hope you get lucky).

what level is your party?
alyxx
Rookie

Post by alyxx »

Duke Nukem Forever, Back to the Future, Bulletstorm, Need For Speed HP, and some oldschool games too.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

child of eden.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

Earthbound is taking most of my gaming time these days.

I'm also playing "Alone in the Dark: Inferno", but not putting much effort into it.
What?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I'm downloading the Resistance 3 Multiplayer Beta at this moment. I never played the other two games, so hopefully this will be fun.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform