Mysterious Freezing

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Hamlet_7768

Mysterious Freezing

Post by Hamlet_7768 »

I read that this might be the "infamous game freeze" on the original support site (italics are theirs), but this happens regularly, and only after a specific event has taken place; that of saving a state.

To put it more clearly, I am playing (or trying to play) a ROM of Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, with a patch to translate most of it into English. If you've played the game, you'll know that the game features VERY long intervals between saves, and thus I have largely tried to use save-states to mitigate this.

However, twice now I have saved a state, and loaded the state, then entered a battle. Normally, the screen then wipes to black, and the music stops for a moment while the battle loads. Then it fades up to the battle, and the battle music plays. However, in the instances of which I speak, the screen fades up to battle, which plays out normally, but with no sound! Then, when the battle is finished, it fades to black....and freezes! :x

Is this the emulator, the ROM, the patch...? I circumvented this once, only to get it a second time, which I cannot circumvent.
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Mysterious Freezing

Post by Gonzo »

While I'm not a huge expert on the issue, I do recall hearing two things that might explain your problem. Firstly, some patches are either buggy, or cause certain emulators to act buggy, so it could be the patch on your rom. And secondly, if you have the misfortune to hit a glitch(usually a freeze) after you savestate, reloading a state won't fix the problem, because you've effectively save stated the glitch and will just run into it again. Depending on the game you're playing, this might then become an unavoidable glitch, so you'll have to start the game again from scratch.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

What's even worse is patches made around a specific version of an emulator (and many that don't work well or at all on real hardware.).
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Playing patches can be a hit or miss affair. Most have not been fully tested on real hardware, and may randomly glitch if a specific emulator is not used. I guess it is like they say: use at your own risk.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Just in case, make sure you have enabled loading SRAM from savestates. Some games really hate when you don't.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Hamlet_7768

Post by Hamlet_7768 »

Okay, I just got further than I did before, without using any savestates. Though I still lost a guy and have to start all over again. :evil:
It seems that it's just savestates. I'll try the SRAM thing.