Is Zsnes Dead? Seriously?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

joelmreed

Is Zsnes Dead? Seriously?

Post by joelmreed »

I realize this has been covered many times before, but I think it's worth HIGHLIGHTING this question once more ... 'is Zsnes is still alive?' I should mention that once in a while I do read on the forums that the developers are "still working on it", but I would have thought that nearly 5 years to release an update would be plenty of time regardless of this being done on your spare time.

Now don't get me wrong, I am extremely thankful to the people out there who take the time to develop these Emulators, because I certainly know nothing about developing an emulator! However, over the last few years I have personally developed more than 5 professional looking websites in my spare time, and wrote 2 novels ... and I have to say, I still have enough spare time to do more!

Seriously people, we'll be coming up on 5 years in the next few months since the last official release, and I'm just wondering why there has been virtually no communication from the Developers regarding the progress.

Even if the project takes another 5 years to complete, can we at least get a news update once in a while?

Thanks!
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Is Zsnes Dead? Seriously?

Post by Gonzo »

joelmreed wrote: However, over the last few years I have personally developed more than 5 professional looking websites in my spare time, without help ... and I have to say, I still have enough spare time to build more!
You're comparing building a website with programming? That's fucking hilarious.
joelmreed

Post by joelmreed »

I thought someone would say that ... which is why I added the fact that I wrote two novels as well ... (One published)

Keep in mind, this isn't about my accomplishments, this is more asking the question ... why is it taking so long?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

joelmreed wrote:I thought someone would say that ... which is why I added the fact that I wrote two novels as well ... (One published)

Keep in mind, this isn't about my accomplishments, this is more asking the question ... why is it taking so long?
out of curiosity, were you getting paid for those 5 websites and two novels, or did you squeeze them into your spare time after your actual job? if so, that kills your basis for comparison right there.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
joelmreed

Post by joelmreed »

I received no payments ... infact I voluntered my time 4 out of the 5 times to build other people websites ... even paying for the domain setup fees ...

The book that was published was actually published by a company at no cost to me, but I received no payments either.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to attack the programmers here ... I'm just impatient and want to benefit from their hard work now!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It'll be done when it's done. Stop whining.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i don't know, i kind liked hearing how productive he'd been in the last five years. five years, five websites and two novels. i'd say that's completely equivalent to translating an ASM beast into C++. i say just throw the source into google translate and throw something out for the impatient.

or make some cheesy .NET translation layer API.

or just keep doing what you're doing.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

sweener2001 wrote:i don't know, i kind liked hearing how productive he'd been in the last five years. five years, five websites and two novels.
It sounded even funnier before he edited in the part about the novels.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

While the original poster made some rather silly points, I'm sure people are curious about what's been completed, and what is left to comlete. I know I am.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Well, as long as it shows more signs of life than no$gba, then I might use Zsnes again. I've been using Snes9x 1.53 in lieu of Zsnes 1.51, so....yeah. It would be nice to at least see a small tidbit of information regarding its status. :mrgreen:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

joelmreed wrote:I realize this has been covered many times before
So much times. You can't count 'em anymore.

Hell, I thought that thread was a bumped old thing from 2 years ago before checking the post date.

Just gonna cookie cutter through...

It's worth HIGHLIGHTING this answer once more ... 'ZSNES is still alive.'
but I would have thought that nearly 5 years to release an update would be plenty of time regardless of this being done on your spare time.
Yeah, how does that work when you don't have any (spare time, that is) ? Jack shit, that's what you can do. And Jack died of starvation a couple times over.
I'm just wondering why there has been virtually no communication from the Developers regarding the progress.
Repeating yourself is boring after a while. 'A while' being 'a couple minutes', in that instance. Funny how that works.
can we at least get a news update once in a while?
Yea, maybe one day we'll update the main page. Not really a priority.
Thanks!
np

paulguy wrote:I'm sure people are curious about what's been completed, and what is left to comlete. I know I am.
Tron ported a lot of stuff before leaving, pf is still gutting out the innards. Nach is done with his 5th bat-headquarters, and I am chasing kids off my lawn.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:It'll be done when it's done. Stop whining.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome