Blargg's NTSC Filter Question...

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

J8son

Blargg's NTSC Filter Question...

Post by J8son »

Hello,

I'm trying to tweak my emulation setup for use with my HD TV and I've found that using Blargg's NTSC filter is an excellent way to recreate a nice CRT feeling on a plasma without getting all the nasty blockiness an emulator would normally have after stretching to that size.

However, I've notice that, depending on the emulator, Blargg's filter seems to operate differently.

For instance, on Blargg's Filter for Nestopia you have the option of Composite, S-Video and RBG. However, on Fusion (Genesis) you can choose only the Filter option, but have no customization options or filter types (IE: no Composite, S-Video or RBG options).

And then there is ZSNES. Blargg's filter is back to having all three settings to choose from but it automatically integrates scan-lines into the picture. I find this terribly distracting and degenerates the over all image. Even when the scan-line feature of ZSNES itself is turned off, Blargg's filter still adds them with the NTSC settings, with no option to turn them on or off.

However, I've tested the same Blargg's filter in BSNES, and it creates the NTSC filter WITHOUT the scan-lines, so that tells me it's probably not the filter itself, but the emulator. However, I'd still much rather use ZSNES for compatibility reasons.

Why does Blargg's filter not seem to have a uniformed effect across all platforms (IE: not having the same options always available and providing a different look depending on the system)?

MOST IMPORTANTLY, is there a way for me to utilize the NTSC effect WHILE getting rid of the scan-line look?

Thanks!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Blargg's NTSC Filter Question...

Post by odditude »

The effect is different for different systems because the systems themselves displayed differently (e.g. the vertical-line artifacts on the Genesis).

The version of the NTSC filter used in current ZSNES adds scanlines and they can't be disabled, sorry.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:The effect is different for different systems because the systems themselves displayed differently (e.g. the vertical-line artifacts on the Genesis).
Actually, what he's talking about has everything to do with interface and nothing to do with system differences.
Genesis offers more than one video output. RF, composite, and RGB are all available options*. S-video admittedly requires a mod, but it's not a complex one.

*Depending on model... which actually affects more than just what outputs you have due to significantly different NTSC encoders.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
J8son

Post by J8son »

odditude wrote:The version of the NTSC filter used in current ZSNES adds scanlines and they can't be disabled, sorry.
So your saying that it was a choice on the part of the coders of the ZSNES emulator to implement the scanlines WITH the NSTC feature? Or are you saying Blargg decided that he wanted his SNES version of the filter to have scanlines?

I can't image it's the latter as I've tried his SNES filter on other emulators (BSNES as mentioned earlier) and it has 0 scanlines.

If it is a decision on the part of the coders, why? What's the purpose? There was already a scanline feature we can manually turn on or off in different increments. We already had complete control over it. Why force it with the NTSC filter without allowing some customization?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I don't think zsnes allows stacking filters like that, especially since I think zsnes has to pull some weirdness to get ntsc filter to even work right. Basically, just use bsnes if you want ntsc filter with no scanlines.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Or bzsnes if you need proper emulation of the zsnes platform.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

bsnes is the better emulator anyway...
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I think you missed the z in that name, bzsnes.

You know, byuu's low effort April Fools' gag. He already had the ZSNES theme for his old Qt UI, all he had to do was modify the emulator core to be less accurate, allowing things like VRAM writes during rendering.
J8son

Post by J8son »

Well, I was skiddish to try another emulator with ZSNES being such a reliable standard for SNES emulating. However BSNES might be the way to go.

I just hope there is a way to get it to automatically go full screen once emulation starts (when using a front end like Maximus Arcade for example) as I can't find that option. With BSNES, I always have to manually go full screen.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

There's a lot of things you always have to do with bsnes.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
J8son

Post by J8son »

Any chance there is a command line I could implement in my Maximus Arcade under the Super NES config that would do this when launched?

Really, even If I could implement a simple F11 command after launch, that would also do the trick. I just don't want this to stay manual for when friends are trying to play. I don't expect them to know all the advance functions of how to run my emulator before they can play a simple game of Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

could try autohotkey that can launch apps, perform series of keystrokes, etc...

however, since i have no bsnes, i don't if bsnes will accept the "send {f11}" command from that autohotkey.
J8son

Post by J8son »

Hmm, sounds interesting but even if you map autohotkey to a F11 command, would it function only when launching the BSNES emulator for Maximus Arcade?

Maxims does have an option to run certain apps at startup, so this could work possibly.
Awakened
Rookie

Post by Awakened »

You'd probably be better off using Hyperspin if autohotkey is the only way to get the latest bsnes to start in fullscreen. It comes with ahk support to resolve stuff like that.
J8son

Post by J8son »

Also, to follow up on the original scanline issue, I've been in touch with the author and here is what he has confirmed:
Yeah, I customized the blit function for zsnes. I believe it was simpler for them to have it add scanlines. As I remember, adding things was difficult due to the whole thing being in asm, thus I didn't make the darkened scanlines optional. Without darkening them, the pixels look much more boxy than they look on a TV, thus partially defeating the purpose of the filter.
I guess I can see the rational if it's due to compatibility reasons. I suppose you can have your choice, either way, depending on if you use ZSNES or BSNES.