Need to find out something about SPC700 emulation accuracy

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

king_harkanian
Rookie

Need to find out something about SPC700 emulation accuracy

Post by king_harkanian »

So, a user started a topic on the Snes9x forums (here http://snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5215 ) stating that Seiken Densetsu 3's holy ball and gold goddess statue sound effects were not accurate (stating them to sound "garbled") compared to Zsnes 1.51 or Snes9x 1.51. I then proceeded to explain, as best as I could, that 1.52 and on implemented Blaarg's SPC700/S-SMP audio core, which, to my knowledge, sounds like a real Snes. After talking back and forth, with me also explaining how back when Square Enix was Squaresoft, they were known for using peculiar algorithms/techniques for creating their sound effects, which required highly-accurate emulators to get right (Bsnes>Snes9x>SnesGT>Zsnes). Are the sound effects that this used pointed out outputted correctly in Bsnes and Snes9x or is it not quite right? I really need to know, because I have no way of comparing to a real console. I guess I could compare it using Bsnes.
kode54
Zealot

Re: Need to find out something about SPC700 emulation accura

Post by kode54 »

bsnes should be binary accurate, going by the SPC700 CPU/DSP unit alone, and probably also from the main board coupling as well, considering how anal byuu is about timing. Snes9X 1.52 or newer should also be fairly accurate, barring any possible timing issues that may still exist.

Older Snes9X were passable, but not very accurate. ZSNES 1.51 or older, fuggedaboudit. Neither of these should be used for accuracy comparisons.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Thanks for the verification, and that is the sole reason I stopped using Zsnes. It's not because I have anything against the developers, as I find it to be a fairly stable emulator, it's due the fact that the Sony SPC700/Nintendo S-SMP emulation bugged the heck out of me. Hopefully, I can move back to Zsnes whenever 2.0 is released. Good to know that these sound effects from Snes9x/Bsnes are indeed normal.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

king_harkanian wrote:the Sony SPC700/Nintendo S-SMP
... choose a name and stick with it, but drop the brand, since the chip has both nintendo and sony on it. ¬_¬
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm always seriously worried when I see bug reports filed on emulation improvements against older versions of the emulator.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

You mean what HCBaily said about Snes9x 1.53 emulating Seiken Densetsu 3 incorrectly compared to 1.51? Yeah, that confused me, too. I guess his ears aren't fully accustomed to (more-or-less) accurate SPC700 emulation after using 1.51 for so long. Square sure used some funky methods for their sound engines, that's for sure. To my knowledge, that's how those sound act like on a real console.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah, it's really sad when the wrong method becomes the accepted norm. Let's players are mostly fucking dumb, lazy people, though. Complaining about problems and not trying anything to fix it. (See signature.)
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

king_harkanian wrote:You mean what HCBaily said about Snes9x 1.53 emulating Seiken Densetsu 3 incorrectly compared to 1.51? Yeah, that confused me, too. I guess his ears aren't fully accustomed to (more-or-less) accurate SPC700 emulation after using 1.51 for so long. Square sure used some funky methods for their sound engines, that's for sure. To my knowledge, that's how those sound act like on a real console.
It's not the first time I've seen it happen.
There's a few examples around here, too.

I've seen fixes of some very blatant and obvious wrong behavior reported as new bugs.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Too bad using youtube isn't a good way to compare Snes emulators (and how they emulate the sound processor) like that, because that would otherwise be a decent way of making people aware. But, it is what it is. I can't expect to change peoples' opinions or preferences on what they like in an emulator, despite any major flaws that others notice.