ROM Abbreviations?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

zedrein
Rookie

ROM Abbreviations?

Post by zedrein »

Hey all. Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times but I couldn't find this topic in the search. I just wanted to know what the different ROM abbreviations mean. I am in possession of a fair number of ROM files and some of them are called "SMC" files and some of them are called "SFC" files...I swear that the "SMC" files somehow run better on ZSNES, but that could be false. Also there are other denotations like "E" (which I know means that the ROM data is from a European cart) and "U" (which means a NTSC-N. America cart) and even "J" (for Japanese cart) but what about all those other symbols like "!" "b1" and "h1C" following the ROM title? They are all very confusing and it would be nice to have a formal list of some sort so I know what they denote...thanks for your time!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: ROM Abbreviations?

Post by odditude »

the different extensions are due to different formats used by different copiers (e.g. Super Wild Card uses .swc, Super Pro Fighter uses .fig, Super Magicom uses .smc).

as for the annotations, those are from GoodSNES - read here.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

http://byuu.org/bsnes/legacy-formats. <-- list of some extensions and what they mean. Basically, most of them are named aafter the copier that generated them.

http://www.underground-gamer.com/wiki/i ... onventions. <-- what you refer to are goodset names. Here is a legend that describes what they mean.

Edit: smc kind of became the accepted extension, so a lot use smc even though they may or may not be generated by a super magicom. Them working better or worse doesn't depend on the extension. The file format is the same either way. I believe interleaved ROM support has been dropped completely, which was an artifact of some copiers.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

No, only interleaved SFX rom images, which were caused by crazy people trying to dump these games without knowing enough to do it properly.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:http://byuu.org/bsnes/legacy-formats. <-- list of some extensions and what they mean. Basically, most of them are named aafter the copier that generated them.
Only most of them have no relation to the copier that created them anymore, and they're just crazy.

zedrein wrote:I am in possession of a fair number of ROM files and some of them are called "SMC" files and some of them are called "SFC" files...I swear that the "SMC" files somehow run better on ZSNES, but that could be false.
100% false. As above, extension really has nothing to do with file content.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
zedrein
Rookie

Post by zedrein »

Thanks, everyone! WOW, how awesome is it that [!] means a perfect ROM dump!? If only there were a site that hosted only perfect dumps...Oh well. Anyway, my email is -removed- if anyone wants to drop me a line regarding the latest and greatest retro game news :roll: ...WHOO HOO!!!
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

There are sites that have them (usually torrents), but we can't tell you which ones.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Also, just so ya know, responses will be board only, there was no need to post your e-mail address in the open (unless you want unnecessary evils in your inbox...)

also, there was no need to use all those colors in your post.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

At this point, they are filling themselves up with spam... let Darwin work its magic on the foolish.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...