Killer Instinct Problem

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Epoch

Killer Instinct Problem

Post by Epoch »

I got a black background on TJ Combo's stage. Is this a known issue? Any workaround? I am using the latest version. It's not a rom issue since the problem wasnt present when I checked with some other emulator. Thanks!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Killer Instinct Problem

Post by Deathlike2 »

Screenshots are helpful here.

The workaround is to disable Windowing. It's a rendering issue (BG priority or something).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I remember this one. Disable Windowing.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The other option is to disable the New Graphics Engine.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Epoch

Post by Epoch »

Agozer wrote: Disable Windowing.
Sorry but what exactly is windowing? I can't find such an option. In case you mean running the app in fullscreen and not window mode I am in DS F and it doesnt seem to change anything.
Deathlike2 wrote:The other option is to disable the New Graphics Engine.
That actually worked. But only if I also enable the "old graphics" option. Should I leave it like that in general or there's actually a gain from the New Graphics Engine?
Thanks a lot.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Epoch wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:The other option is to disable the New Graphics Engine.
That actually worked. But only if I also enable the "old graphics" option. Should I leave it like that in general or there's actually a gain from the New Graphics Engine?
Thanks a lot.
From what I remember some games will have major graphical problems if you use the old graphics engine. It's better to stick with the new graphics engine for the most part and only switch to the old one when you need to. Which I don't think should be very often, I can't think of another game off the top of my head that needs the old graphics engine to fix graphical problems.
Epoch

Post by Epoch »

I see. Makes sense. Wonder if I understood correct what windowing is and if I did, why it didn't fix the problem.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Epoch wrote:Wonder if I understood correct what windowing is and if I did, why it didn't fix the problem.
you didn't. press '9' to enable/disable windowing (configurable in misc->misc keys).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gonzo wrote:I can't think of another game off the top of my head that needs the old graphics engine to fix graphical problems.
tactical orgy

well, jonas fixed most of these old issues, anyway. sorta moot.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Epoch

Post by Epoch »

odditude wrote:
Epoch wrote:Wonder if I understood correct what windowing is and if I did, why it didn't fix the problem.
you didn't. press '9' to enable/disable windowing (configurable in misc->misc keys).
Well since I am not really familiar with the snes / zsnes graphical engine (apart Mode 7) it didn't really make sense to me. Yet, instead of asking again right ahead, I looked for a windowing option in the settings or something and finally took a wild guess, bringing up the only thing that I thought it could MAYBE (not really) relate.
It does make sense now and it of course solves the problem as well. As I did with the new graphics engine, I wonder if that (windowing disabled) is a feature that could be left like that for general use or it's preferable to leave windowing ON and only disable in special cases like the TJ Combo's BG. Which is not a problem anyway.
Thanks everyone for the workarounds and an extra "thank you" to the devs of this nice emulator. :wink:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Epoch wrote:I wonder if that (windowing disabled) is a feature that could be left like that for general use or it's preferable to leave windowing ON and only disable in special cases like the TJ Combo's BG.
It's better to leave it on and disable only when needed, else many other games will suddenly crap out.

It's a longstanding bug that has been less-longstanding fixed (end of 2008), but no release since then due to other stuff... There have been talks of backporting most of those fixes to the 1.51 tree, but no time lol.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54