ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

king_harkanian
Rookie

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by king_harkanian »

At least it's more alive than no$gba.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

king_harkanian wrote:At least it's more alive than no$gba.
But less alive than no$sns.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Ouch. Guess it's Snes9x 1.53 for me.
Scyris

Post by Scyris »

I think its more its been years since the last new program release that has people worried.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I asked Nach a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was working on things. So as the thread indicates, zsnes is still in development and is not dead, despite the lack of recent releases.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

badinsults wrote:I asked Nach a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was working on things. So as the thread indicates, zsnes is still in development and is not dead, despite the lack of recent releases.
Yay :P
bringing Zsnes back
Thalon
Rookie

Post by Thalon »

badinsults wrote:I asked Nach a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was working on things. So as the thread indicates, zsnes is still in development and is not dead, despite the lack of recent releases.
So now we can assume that zsnes is not dead and even Nach is still active coding?
BTW, what about Pagefault? It's been a while (almost 2 years) since his last post here: did he quit the project?
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

pagefault is also still working on zsnes, as of a week ago.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

o_0
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Why the weird face, dood. It's only what I've been repeating for the last few years.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Thalon
Rookie

Post by Thalon »

grinvader wrote:Why the weird face, dood. It's only what I've been repeating for the last few years.
You know, the average reader comes here and doesn't see new releases, nor he reads news from the developers, so I think it's natural for him to presume that zsnes is dead.
I also think that something more substantial like a detailed status report (something like "we are still alive and coding, we did these updates to the code since the latest report, these things are missing and we're planning to do them in a near future" like the ones that Pagefault did in the good old days) would be good to avoid unnecessary questions like "are you still alive?" or so...
4lltim3z0ck3r

Post by 4lltim3z0ck3r »

and the funny thing: zsnes is still the best snes emulator out there... especially for linux
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

4lltim3z0ck3r wrote:and the funny thing: zsnes is still the best snes emulator out there... especially for linux
Gonna have to disagree with you there.
It's the best SNES emulator... if you're on a marginal system that can't run a more accurate emulator at full speed.

It is the NESticle of SNES emulation.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Oh, I wouldn't quite place it that badly. Mostly why it's held on with people a lot longer than nesticle has. With nesticle, it's easy to run in to problems with common games. With zsnes, it's a bit more dangerous in that it's problems with games usually pop up a few hours in to a game, and most people just think it's completely alright because they haven't run in to a problem yet. I honestly don't understand people's reluctance to change, even in the face of problems (see: many youtube let's plays). They'll jump through hoops and try EVERYTHING before they try a different emulator.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Personally, I've grown too fond of ZSNES over the years (in actuality, a decade+ more like) to consider using another emulator... save for Snes9x. Maybe. For certain games.

Yes, ZSNES sorely needs a new stable release... but still.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Oh, I wouldn't quite place it that badly. Mostly why it's held on with people a lot longer than nesticle has.
I meant in terms of how people keep holding it up as the pinnacle of perfection well after it's been surpassed.
Though... NESticle held on for a looooooong time. I think people would STILL be recommending it if it hadn't finally lost any semblance of compatibility with current computers.
I remember when FCEU took over from NESticle. It was a glorious day.

In ZSNES' case, the NESticle effect is amplified because there's so little competition.
With nesticle, it's easy to run in to problems with common games. With zsnes, it's a bit more dangerous in that it's problems with games usually pop up a few hours in to a game, and most people just think it's completely alright because they haven't run in to a problem yet. I honestly don't understand people's reluctance to change, even in the face of problems (see: many youtube let's plays). They'll jump through hoops and try EVERYTHING before they try a different emulator.
But ZSNES is 100% accurate, so it's CLEARLY a problem with the game. Changing emulators won't solve anything.

People said the same thing about NESticle, too. I saw a lot of "there are no good dumps, just deal with the graphical corruption" back in the day.

Again, I'm not saying the difference in actual emulation accuracy is the same as the NES scenario, just the "ZSNES is perfect forever" mentality.

Agozer wrote:Personally, I've grown too fond of ZSNES over the years (in actuality, a decade+ more like) to consider using another emulator... save for Snes9x. Maybe. For certain games.

Yes, ZSNES sorely needs a new stable release... but still.
I still love ZSNES, but I don't use it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
4lltim3z0ck3r wrote:and the funny thing: zsnes is still the best snes emulator out there... especially for linux
Gonna have to disagree with you there.
It's the best SNES emulator... if you're on a marginal system that can't run a more accurate emulator at full speed.

It is the NESticle of SNES emulation.
I wouldn't go as far as to call in the NESticle of SNES emulation, but certainly zsnes is showing its age compared to the latest updates of SNES9x and bsnes. Although the interface for bsnes is not that user friendly, which is likely a big negative for a lot of people. There is really no need to run zsnes unless you want to do netplay or have a really old computer.
snesmaniac

Post by snesmaniac »

I'm very fanatic for zsnes, already use it for several years and is what I like most, 2012 has now arisen emulators with more interesting features like accurate emulation faithful to the snes, but I did not want the zsnes stay behind so wanted to know if zsnes really is no longer being developed and improved as there are some games that have not run perfectly as marvel super heroes of the wars gems, g-gundam among others. the zsnes over? will no longer be developed? zsnes had also wanted to run on consoles like ps2, xbox360, ps3, wii, and phones and tablets for years wait for a new update zsnes and not get so heavy and work on older computers with single core
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You're not so good at reading either, eh ?
snesmaniac wrote:I did not want the zsnes stay behind so wanted to know if zsnes really is no longer being developed and improved
See the thread name.
as there are some games that have not run perfectly as marvel super heroes of the wars gems, g-gundam among others.
We know.
the zsnes over? will no longer be developed?
Read the thread name again. Just in case.
zsnes had also wanted to run on consoles like ps2, xbox360, ps3, wii, and phones and tablets
This will probably never happen.
not so heavy and work on older computers with single core
It still works on old computers exactly as it used to.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
snesmaniac

Post by snesmaniac »

What I want to know is who created the zsnes and not of forum users if zsnes is still being developed and improved by breeders and when will release the new version and what improvements it will have

ipherswipsite the site for years I have not seen updates zsnes

is possible to make accurate emulation equal to snes without requiring much of the machine and it is possible to run on older PCs with single core 1.20 Ghz?

wanted to answer all these questions
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

one of the developers just answered most of your questions.

there haven't been any public releases in a long time.

and checking ipher's site is pointless when he posted over 4 years ago on said site that he's not planning on doing any further updates.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

snesmaniac wrote:if zsnes is still being developed and improved by breeders
Maybe? Even nerds get laid sometimes.
Anyone know if there's any ZSNES babies?
is possible to make accurate emulation equal to snes without requiring much of the machine and it is possible to run on older PCs with single core 1.20 Ghz?
If you want perfectly accurate SNES emulation, then your target may be a bit hard to hit. Especially if that 1.2 GHz is an older architecture.
REASONABLE accuracy might be doable, however.

See also: no$sns
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
snesmaniac

Post by snesmaniac »

to finish, the zsnes still being developed it will receive future updates? like the answer of who created the emulator
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

snesmaniac wrote:to finish, the zsnes still being developed it will receive future updates?
Yes. That's kind of why this whole thread exists.
snesmaniac wrote:like the answer of who created the emulator
Ok, based on all your posts I'm going to guess that english isn't your first language. So I can interpret this statement in two different ways.

You're either asking who created zsnes, in which case, the original creators of zsnes were(according to wikipedia) zsKnight, _Demo_, pagefault, and Nach. Since then there has been a whole bunch of coders contributing to zsnes in varying degrees.

Now if you we're trying to say that "I'd like the answer to come from someone who created the emulator", then good luck with that. I can't remember the last time I saw a post by zsKnight, hell I don't even know if I've ever seen a post by zsKnight and I've been coming to the zboard since 2001. _Demo_ and pagefault haven't posted in a few years now and Nach is still floating around here but he posts pretty sporadically. Your next best bet is Grinvader who is one of those coders I was referring to before. And what do you know, he's already answered your question. Multiple times.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gonzo wrote:You're either asking who created zsnes, in which case, the original creators of zsnes were(according to wikipedia) zsKnight, _Demo_, pagefault, and Nach.
Lul wikipedia.

First zsKnight and _Demo_. Then Pharos came in and helped a bunch.
Then pagefault, teuf, theoddone and hpsolo worked on it at that time for the win/sdl ports.
A while after, Nach came in. kode helped as well. ipher too.
Then I joined the fray, and jonas, deathlike, aerdan, tron... I kinda lost track in the recent years. :/

Most of those retired, but _Demo_ still checks every once in a while to see if stuff isn't burnt or something. :p
pagefault is still active. Maybe not visibile to forum-people, but he's around quite often on IRC.
theoddone is the IRC channel creator and hangs around all the time.
Nach is very present there as well (6 days per week usually). ipher comes by pretty often too.
kode, aerdan and I are essentially there all the time unless network crap happens.

Most of us do have more important things to do, though, so hobbies take a backseat.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Anyone know if there's any ZSNES babies?

<DrNach> yes
皆黙って俺について来い!!