ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote: Nach is very present there as well (6 days per week usually).
I like to describe it as 23/6.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snesmaniac »

And how is the current development zsnes, which is being improved on it and your news?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

It's quite tasty.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Raymond9987654321 »

Nach, it's almost been 6 years since the latest public release of this emulator. Can I have an update as to it's progress?

Can there maybe be some sort of beta release so ZSNES fans can help test out the work in progress to make your work a little bit easier, and to let more people actually know that ZSNES is not dead?

I'm trying to believe that this project is not dead, but on the other hand it's easy for me to feel that ZSNES hasn't been making too much progress lately. In my thinking, 2 or 3 years is probably plenty for finishing an software update when developers aren't constantly working on an update.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Raymond9987654321 wrote:Nach, it's almost been 6 years since the latest public release of this emulator. Can I have an update as to it's progress?

Can there maybe be some sort of beta release so ZSNES fans can help test out the work in progress to make your work a little bit easier, and to let more people actually know that ZSNES is not dead?

I'm trying to believe that this project is not dead, but on the other hand it's easy for me to feel that ZSNES hasn't been making too much progress lately. In my thinking, 2 or 3 years is probably plenty for finishing an software update when developers aren't constantly working on an update.
I'd just like to point out that it wasn't an update so much as a ground-up rewrite.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Raymond9987654321 wrote:In my thinking
Yup.
Now try and guess why it's not out.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
deepblue22
Rookie

Post by deepblue22 »

As long as zsnes.com is up, ZSNES can't be dead. :mrgreen:
Gothicall

Post by Gothicall »

Hey, and what about ZKnight, he left his project to Nash and to _Demo_ and we never knew about him again.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Real life called in a harsh manner, and he answered.

Also, no Nash ever had anything to do with ZSNES (aside from street fighter zero 2). And you typoed his name as well. Sucks to be you.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Zsnes is still being worked on? That's news to me. :shock:
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I know absolutely nothing about programming, but I do hope the next ZSNES is compatible with Windows 8/64-bit Windows in general. snes9x64 is a good emulator, but the sound crackling is incredibly annoying since I have ridiculously sensitive/good hearing. I actually prefer the sound in ZSNES 1.51 because even though it's not as accurate, there isn't nearly as much popping with bass-heavy samples and music. SF2 hyper fighting in 9x is agonizing audio wise because it's so bass heavy, and no matter what I do with the audio settings it cracks constantly(which is why I only play the Genesis and arcade versions)

I just wanted to give props for an excellent emulator and I really hope the new version comes out in the next couple years. I hope the new version(if it comes to fruition) uses the same .zst savestates since almost all savestate editors are zst-based. Despite more accurate(but very buggy) sound in 9x, 1.51 is still absolutely superior to snes9x 1.5.3 imo.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

What's the benefit to a 64 bit SNES emulator? If the 32 bit snes9x doesn't have the crackling problem, may as well use that. You won't get any tangible benefits emulating a 16 bit console in a 64 bit emulator, especially one with a C core.

Either way if zsnes 2.0 is ever to be a thing, I would imagine it would work on all the latest operating systems. Also, I wouldn't bet on old save state support, at least not directly or reliably.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:I do hope the next ZSNES is compatible with Windows 8/64-bit Windows in general
We won't personally do anything to accomodate progm^Wmetro in any way, shape or form. The gui backend may provide some integration, but not on our doing.
amd64 platforms are the primary target.
I hope the new version(if it comes to fruition) uses the same .zst savestates since almost all savestate editors are zst-based.
We'll rework the format, so editors won't work (until their author update). In-game saves (.srm) compatibility will be assured, as usual. Not sure if we'll even try to support the older states due to the various core changes.
paulguy wrote:What's the benefit to a 64 bit SNES emulator?
"Not needing a multilib setup" comes to mind. Simplifies things a bit for some people.
Also some data tricks become quite cheap cpu-wise, so that's always good (gotta go fast).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

grinvader wrote:
paulguy wrote:What's the benefit to a 64 bit SNES emulator?
"Not needing a multilib setup" comes to mind. Simplifies things a bit for some people.
Also some data tricks become quite cheap cpu-wise, so that's always good (gotta go fast).
I see. That makes sense and I figured that would be the answer.

To the person's original dilemma, if the 32 bit version of snes9x works and the 64 bit build of it has trouble, and they have support to run 32 bit applications, they probably won't see any major slowdown by using the 32 bit one.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

After so many months of inactivity in this thread, I didn't know it was still being worked on. :shock:
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'm not at all tech savvy as I stated before, but maybe supporting directx 9+ would allow me to run the emulator in full screen, but I really have no idea and from what I've heard, 1.51 just isn't compatible with Windows 8 or 64-bit operating systems in general. Older versions of arcade emus such as FBA that use directx 7 are VERY slow full-screen, but in the newer versions I can play 3rd strike with the highest quality 4x(4XBR Rounded is what I use) with the directx 9 blitter at 100% full speed. Tekken Tag runs runs perfectly in MAME too, so I guess snes9x is just buggy as all hell with its sound. I know it's all totally different programming but anything that supports directx 9+ runs really well.

My system specs: AMD FX-6120 6-core processor, 10 gb DDR3 RAM, and the weakest link is my AMD Radeon HD 7450. Gotta replace my graphics card although I can run basically everything I use at full speed. Windows 8 home, thankfully with Classic Shell installed; the whole charms/app screen is fucking retarded.

Also, snes9x 32-bit has the same sound crackling problems, although I still use it all the time. At least Chrono Trigger and other RPGs run near-perfect, and I mostly use SNES emus to play retranslations/games that only came out in Japan and were fan translated. My old SNES from 1992 still works perfectly, although I need some new controllers for fighters. My hearing is so sensitive that I can hear the high pitched noises that come from idle monitors when turned on, and it's loud to me.

Thanks for the response, and I'm curious if the planned new release will work on my system in full screen mode. I can run 1.51 windowed but full screen runs at around 5 fps or so. Excuse the long ass post

EDIT: new save state formats aren't a big deal; the editors are just fun for fucking around in games I've already mastered.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

While zsnes might have issues in the latest windows, I don't think it's entirely incompatible, and works perfectly for most people. You might need to mess with graphics drivers or something.

As for your snes9x problem, I've heard of solutions to that but don't remember. Probably just mess with sample rate or buffer sizes or something. It's either way to small buffer or clock jitter.

But yeah, programs using more modem APIs will generally work better with less fuss.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I've tried basically every possible sound configuration in 9x, but the crackling is still there, although it doesn't happen unless there are rapid bass-heavy sounds like in SF2 WW/Hyper fighting. It's annoying but I still use it all the time and other than that bug, 9x works perfectly. Disabling the high resolution mode completely seems to decrease the crackling. I just prefer the layout of ZSNES to 9x since I've been using various versions of it since 1998. I remember playing Final Fantasy V translated and being blown away by how awesome it was to play SNES games on my PC; ZSNES was my first emulator. When the new ZSNES comes out, I hope it has even better and more accurate sound than 9x without all the buggy crackling; it's just a nicer, more user-friendly emulator imo although 9x is very good. As far as running 1.51 full screen, I think everyone that uses Windows 8 or other 64-bit Windows OS has this problem, or at least the people I've talked to. If I were to fix my old computer with 32-bit Windows 7, ZSNES works flawlessly on that in full screen with 4x and the best sound sampling rate+interpolation. I can play ZSNES in windowed mode in semi full screen perfectly with W8; the slowdown only happens in true FS mode. I really need to get a new graphics card.

This is off-topic I know, but Windows 8 is just complete shit imo. I can run almost all of my emulators perfectly at full speed, but the general layout is just a really bad imitation of an apple touch screen and the desktop is severely dumbed down, or "streamlined" in corporate terms. Thankfully the program Classic Shell restores the Start menu, making W8 tolerable. I have no idea what MS was thinking when they made W8; they should've created one version for touch screens and a separate version for desktop computers like I usually use. The desktop version should've been basically 7(or XP, my favorite) with improved compatibility and speed imo. Seriously, does anyone actually think the ridiculous charms nonsense is superior to the old, traditional start menu? It's almost unusable without Classic Shell; I thank and respect the people that created that little gem.

I've heard there are a few ways to disable the charms bar completely, but it doesn't really bother me as long as I've got my start menu back. I suppose W8 is just a reflection of our society dumbing down in general, but that's just my take and I really don't know.

edit: typos and added some stuff. I'm going to become notorious for ridiculously long winded posts.

way too many edits: I know real life makes it incredibly difficult for you developers to work on the new ZSNES, but I just want to say good luck and I hope once it's released, it's the best SNES emulator there is. Since ZSNES was my first emulator, it brings back a lot of good memories of playing fan translations and re-translations of old RPGs, and I just love the simple, user-friendly layout of the GUI. I have a ton of respect for anyone that makes emulators, because they bring so much joy to old school gamers like me that don't care for the current generation of consoles. Thanks for all the good times and good luck making the best SNES emulator possible.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I have no idea what MS was thinking when they made W8; they should've created one version for touch screens and a separate version for desktop computers like I usually use. The desktop version should've been basically 7(or XP, my favorite) with improved compatibility and speed imo. Seriously, does anyone actually think the ridiculous charms nonsense is superior to the old, traditional start menu? It's almost unusable without Classic Shell; I thank and respect the people that created that little gem.
I'm pretty sure they were thinking what I thought almost twenty years ago: the start menu is a trainwreck if you have very many programs installed, and they should've improved on Program Manager rather than throwing it out and starting over.

Not that I'm fond of the specific implementation that they went with but... there IS a problem and they ARE trying to fix it.
I've heard there are a few ways to disable the charms bar completely, but it doesn't really bother me as long as I've got my start menu back. I suppose W8 is just a reflection of our society dumbing down in general, but that's just my take and I really don't know.
Personally, I wouldn't be so worried about "my start menu is full-screen and iconic" as I would about "I can't develop Windows 8 applications unless I pay Microsoft an annual fee, and they have final approval over whether or not I can release my programs to the world."
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Well, I really know nothing about how to create/program an OS but I've been relying on the start menu since 1995 and I just found it silly to completely discard it. Maybe they should have given users the option of using the new menu or reverting back to the classic Windows 95 style start menu. I don't have a large amount of programs installed so my start is really easy to navigate and is much more convenient than dragging my mouse to the top or bottom right, pulling up a gigantic mess of an apps/programs menu and looking for the program I want to run. Classic shell uses the classic style to list "apps" as well, separating them from traditional programs. It's just a lot easier to navigate without having to pull up a full-screen menu full of icons. I couldn't care less if start is iconic; I'm simply used to it personally. I feel no sense of loyalty towards MS or any other large company for that matter; they just want my money and that's it.

The whole thing about having to pay an annual fee to develop for W8 is disgustingly greedy and a good point, but I'm not a programmer and I don't follow news when it comes to that topic so I didn't even know about that. I do appreciate you bringing that point up since extreme greed like that pisses me off and disgusts me in every way. I've been boycotting Capcom for the last couple years for shit like on disc "DLC" plus I put up with their nonsense with all the SF2 releases back in the 90s as a kid; enough is enough and I'll keep boycotting Capcom until their DLC abuse stops, as well as any other company pulling shit like that.

The reason I love emulators like ZSNES and others is because older classics have staying power and will be remembered forever. If games developed mostly for online don't have a good single player campaign or a quality local multiplayer component, they're basically worthless after a couple years when the servers shut down. Things like online passes also really turn me off when it comes to today's games and I'm a HUGE console style/JRPG fan, so this generation has really sucked for me personally. No recent RPG can compare to, say, Chrono Trigger or Xenogears imo. As much as I like FF7, I'd MUCH rather see a legit remake of Chrono Trigger or a new Chrono game. FF6 could use a remake as well. I'm talking 2-d or cell shaded, HD, no voice acting or censorship; just remake it in classic form with updated graphics and lots of extra content. I'd absolutely LOVE King of Fighters XIII-like HD sprites, especially for CT. Square-Enix hasn't really been on its game lately though, but nothing's impossible although I certainly don't expect anything that awesome from them. I'd love an FF7 remake too, but Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG and Xenogears could use a remake as well.

Sorry for going off topic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how systems being online gives developers an excuse to release incomplete/beta-like games and just update them constantly after release. There are people who don't have internet at all and back in the day despite having plenty of shitty games, the major titles had to be tested and at least mostly bug-free to be considered acceptable, but with constant patching that's just gone. Basically I'm just getting old but I've replayed a lot of older games and they really do just seem better, more complete, and it's hard to put into words but they seem to have a lot more heart/personality to them. I'm 28 and the NES was my first console, so I'm talking NES-PS2 era games.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Well, I really know nothing about how to create/program an OS but I've been relying on the start menu since 1995 and I just found it silly to completely discard it.
I too would find that silly. If it was what happened.

Completely discarding Program Manager and starting from scratch would have been dumb. But they didn't do that. Lessons learned from Program Manager were integrated into Explorer, of which the start menu is one component.

Similarly, it's not like there's nothing learned from the start menu in the start screen(which is a much less drastic change). Sometimes clinging to the old ways holds you back, and you need to make a major overhaul of things. I don't deny Program Manager had some large issues and needed to be shot in the head.
That said, the start menu's undergone some rather large changes over the years, and the Win7 start menu is almost completely unrelated to the Win95 start menu. This is just one more big change.

I still remember people ranting because Windows 98 forced the programs section of the start menu to display in a single scrolling column instead of flying out into two or three columns. Which was the first of several attempts to get it under control when it started breaking down hilariously in real-world operation.
None of them have been completely successful, all of them have been hated by a very vocal portion of the computing enthusiast population.
Maybe they should have given users the option of using the new menu or reverting back to the classic Windows 95 style start menu.
Because more code paths to maintain and test for regressions and corner cases is the optimal solution to "some people hate it when we try to fix a broken interface."
I don't have a large amount of programs installed so my start is really easy to navigate and is much more convenient than dragging my mouse to the top or bottom right, pulling up a gigantic mess of an apps/programs menu and looking for the program I want to run.
Ummm, you know the new interface du jour supports keyboard shortcuts too, right? You can just mash the win key. At which point, apparently typing a few letters will usually get you exactly where you were going, though I can't testify to experience there.

If keyboard shortcuts don't count, then you still have to drag your mouse to the bottom-left and navigate a multi-tiered wall of text(it's a multi-tiered wall of text straight out of the box) to get to anything.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Ummm, you know the new interface du jour supports keyboard shortcuts too, right? You can just mash the win key. At which point, apparently typing a few letters will usually get you exactly where you were going, though I can't testify to experience there.
i can. only difference is results are segregated into apps, settings, and documents, so you're less likely to have what you want be at tthe top of the list unless it's an "app" (Windows Update, for example, is a "setting").

for me, this is a "boo" - added keystrokes irritate me.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

The concept probably wouldn't be too bad if it was just a box that popped up on the main desktop with similar functionality. Kind of like what Unity and Gnome 3 have. It doesn't replace the desktop, instead it works with the desktop, to provide a similar sort of navigation, but without having to go to a completely different screen to launch software.

Except they want to promote their watered down "easy to use" garbage mobile-like apps, with it's whole silly separate API.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:The concept probably wouldn't be too bad if it was just a box that popped up on the main desktop with similar functionality. Kind of like what Unity and Gnome 3 have. It doesn't replace the desktop, instead it works with the desktop, to provide a similar sort of navigation, but without having to go to a completely different screen to launch software.
I don't see why you WOULDN'T want to use the entire screen.

Launching another application is... not something that goes well with multitasking. It demands undivided attention, and I haven't seen an implementation that allows you to leave mid-procedure and come back since... Program Manager. Where it was a nuisance more than anything else. You want to get through the process as fast as possible so you can get back to business, and don't want distractions vying for your attention while you do so.

Yes, you CAN implement it in a window or a pop-up menu, but... why?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The next version of zsnes will have a start menu with multiple branching options that flare out when the mouse goes over them, just to satisfy your Windows 95 nostalgia.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome