WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: We credit Capcom with inventing the fighting game with Street Fighter 2.
I just find that hilarious. What kind of moron would make that claim? At the very least the fact that there is a 2 on the end of it should be a big hint to even a total dumbass that there was a game that proceeded it.
Honestly, I'm not sure. It... wouldn't be the weirdest numbering scheme ever, but it's a pretty ridiculous situation regardless.

Is Super Mario Bros a better example? I don't even know how many times I've explained the Mario Bros before they were Super to people now.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil, calm down. I DO have interest in gaming history but most of my time with games has been spent playing games rather than doing intensive research on the entire history of them. Weren't really old boxing games from the 70s and early 80s the inspiration for more advanced 1 on 1 fighters like SF1 and eventually 2? I'm fairly casual when it comes to playing most games, since I mostly just play them to have fun, enjoy a good playable story with RPGs etc. There are some games I know like the back of my hand, especially some SNES and PS1 RPGs, but most of them I just play to enjoy myself and so I can get good enough at them to beat them and get all the secrets. It's not that I'm uninterested in gaming history, it's that I'm just now starting to read up on the history so I'm bound to make a lot of errors. Assumptions like that are pointless, especially when addressing someone on a forum you've never talked to.

Also, I think I have a good argument against the mindsets of larger publishers like EA and Capcom. I will concede that I make those points too often though. Maybe a market shakeup could create something of a renaissance in gaming and reduce prices? I'd love to have the option of playing every new fantastic game that comes out, but consoles and games are expensive and If I'm interested in the newer consoles in 2-3 years, I'll likely pick 1 or 2. I'll probably miss out a lot since I boycott anything with day 1 or on disc DLC or really restrictive DRM like always having to be online. I'd love DLC to be restricted to expansion pack type experiences.

EDIT: I know SF1 gets ripped on a lot, but it was an interesting concept to press a button harder for a stronger attack, but unlike 2 the button inputs only work about 20% of the time when I emulate the arcade version. I deliberately fail at the bonus games because the sound of Ryu going "OH NO!" and the entire audience booing with the same voice synth for everyone is hilarious. If you haven't seen that, try it out since describing it isn't funny at all. I never saw the first SF at an arcade, so I'm not sure if the machine itself responded to inputs more effectively. It's definitely not me, since I can do everything consistently in SF2 and I'm using a Saturn pad.

other edits: added/corrected some stuff
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: EDIT: I know SF1 gets ripped on a lot, but it was an interesting concept to press a button harder for a stronger attack, but unlike 2 the button inputs only work about 20% of the time when I emulate the arcade version.
It's worth noting there only the dedicated Street Fighter cabinets had the mechanically-complex, failure-prone, pressure-sensitive buttons.
The conversion kits for installation into an existing cab used the same 3/3 layout that Street Fighter 2 used.
I never saw the first SF at an arcade, so I'm not sure if the machine itself responded to inputs more effectively. It's definitely not me, since I can do everything consistently in SF2 and I'm using a Saturn pad.
Careful about making that claim. Street Fighter 2 is a very different game, and it's highly possible the timing is significantly more restrictive. Just because you can nail everything on SF2 doesn't mean you're a natural at SF.

I'm reasonably sure a game from a major company that only takes one in five button presses never would've made it out of beta, so I'm going to go ahead and say the problem isn't the game. And MAME(I assume) isn't known for eating inputs, so...
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Everyone I've talked to has had immense problems performing even hadoukens in SF1, and if you watch some videos of people playing it with commentary you'll hear the same thing every time. I've let friends play it too and I can actually pull off more fireballs, hurricane kicks, and dragon punches(very hard to do in 1) than my friends. No matter the fighting game be it SF2, 3, KOF, Last Blade, Fatal Fury/Garou I have absolutely no problems pulling off even the double half circle forward/backwards supers or double 360s on my Saturn pad. I don't get why people find the Shun Goku Satsu so hard to pull off since it only requires moderate speed other than in Capcom VS SNK 1-2, and even then I'm around 70% accurate although you have to do it FAST. SF1 is known for having shit controls but I'm sure there are some people out there that can do the moves consistently & kick the game's ass. The controls are very, VERY floaty and tight in some places at the same time; you just have to play it. The special inputs for Ryu/Ken are the same as 2, but yeah you're probably right about the timing being really finicky. The game is more hilarious than good due to the ridiculously goofy voice synthesizer.

My reaction time is actually decent since I beat Ghouls n' Ghosts(World) with a 360 d-pad, and I suck at platformers as a whole. Now Super Ghouls(and especially Ghosts & Goblins) kicks my ass every time since I rely on timing so much in games and the slowdown disrupts my rhythm plus it should be called Super Ghosts n' Goblins rather than Ghouls. I'm still practicing to beat that one and while I love the game as a whole, I frankly just suck at it. Once I beat SGNG I wanna try Demon's Crest since I hear it's both hard, good, and I never played it as a kid. I'm curious to hear your opinions and experiences of the GNG series since although they're painfully hard, they have a certain charm to them & they're VERY addictive.

SGNG is at least as hard as the World arcade Ghouls since there are no boss checkpoints and the psycho cannon is harder to get in your 2nd run, plus not being able to fire up/down is tough to get used to.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Everyone I've talked to has had immense problems performing even hadoukens in SF1, and if you watch some videos of people playing it with commentary you'll hear the same thing every time.
So... because a CHEAT CODE is difficult to input reliably, the game has deep-seated input problems?
The hadoken is not SUPPOSED to be a common, reliable tactic. It's a cheat move.
... my Saturn pad.
Another thing we're sick of seeing you mention in EVERY POST YOU MAKE.
SF1 is known for having shit controls but I'm sure there are some people out there that can do the moves consistently & kick the game's ass.
I, too, can kick a game's ass with cheat codes.
Street Fighter was not SUPPOSED to be about shoryukens and hadokens and 80-hit combos. It's supposed to be about dudes punching and kicking each other.
The fireball and uppercut were easter eggs that, for better or worse, would end up defining the genre.

Tangentially, combos in Street Fighter 2 were a completely unintended glitch. It's just one that Capcom et al wound up embracing because people enjoyed it so much.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

What's wrong with mentioning something that's fairly cheap and better than PC gamepads for older games? It saves me a lot of frustration with more complicated inputs.

I've only briefly played SF1 and I don't really consider special moves cheat codes(although they do a LOT of damage) since your enemies use them all the time, especially in the later stages. All I do is input the commands over and over and while it's not particularly consistent, I can usually hit the cpu with a fireball or hurricane kick before they're able to hit me, giving me an advantage or at least a level playing field. You seem to get easily aggravated over small shit dude; I just wanted to talk about an old arcade game. They do count as easter eggs since those inputs weren't the standard back then, but at least with the fireball and hurricane kick, they're not that hard to pull off. The DP is VERY hard to pull off and I only get it like 10% of the time mashing the shoryuken motion, which usually just throws a fireball.

edit: I'm no expert at SF2 or at least not nearly as good as I was in grade school-middle school, but yeah the CPS1 chains were not intended but they show how solid a base the original SF2 is for a fighter. Plenty of bugs and dizzy combos, but the physics are fantastic especially when compared to the 1st SF.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:What's wrong with mentioning something that's fairly cheap and better than PC gamepads for older games? It saves me a lot of frustration with more complicated inputs.
A. it's not that cheap.
B. mentioning it EVERY SINGLE TIME is ridiculous.

There's a reason I only namedrop my Saitek P880 and Horipad EX2 Alpha Turbo Gaiden Custom in actual controller discussions. Because no one actually cares what you're playing with.
I've only briefly played SF1 and I don't really consider special moves cheat codes(although they do a LOT of damage) since your enemies use them all the time, especially in the later stages. All I do is input the commands over and over and while it's not particularly consistent, I can usually hit the cpu with a fireball or hurricane kick before they're able to hit me, giving me an advantage or at least a level playing field.
It's also possible to one-hit a lot of characters with the uppercut, as I understand. The computer AI isn't built to handle super moves, and the amount of damage they do makes it VERY clear they're not intended to be standard gameplay.
[You seem to get easily aggravated over small shit dude; I just wanted to talk about an old arcade game.
You massively over-estimate how aggravated I actually am.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Bioshock Infinite: approved by founding father grinstock
Play it, bitches.

hey, a post that's ontopic ? where's the three-headed monkey ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Bioshock Infinite and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Bioshock Infinite is wonderful. Razor's Edge is a much-needed improvement over NG3.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Metroid: Zero Mission. and a bit of PSO2.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

A strange Dolphin allowed me to test out Xenoblade Chronicles, and I've gotta say even just from playing it for an hour, I'm gonna get a WiiU for that game if I can find it reasonably priced. Why does a fantastic JRPG from last year have to be so rare? The WiiU sequel's trailer looks awesome as well, and I've always been a fan of the 1st Xenogears on PS1 although XBC is totally different.

Gil, the controller and adapter including shipping costs was around $57, cheaper than a wireless 360 pad. I only mention it so often because it has saved me so much frustration in old fighters & shooters that you can't even imagine. I'll try not to mention it as often and get you all hot and bothered, sillybuns. There are cheaper controllers but for emulating games that don't need an analog stick, it's the best bang for your buck you'll find. Also, Saturn pad!

Seriously though, I hope I can find a copy of Xenoblade at Gamestop since I think it's exclusively being sold there, and it's $100+ on Amazon second hand. I haven't played an MMO since Ultima Online back in 97-2000 but it seems to have a similar battle system to WoW. Feels more like a highly refined, faster/better FF12. Gil, did you ever play UO in the late 90s? I quit because I was a 6-way GM(90 resist) and had like 30 kills in a row racked up; that patch that made PKers lose stats if they died & got resurrected with more than 5 straight kills was absolutely retarded. I got killed all the time and I didn't get butthurt over it like the people that complained to Origin and pressured them into making that patch. It was fun while it lasted though and I enjoyed going on a complete rampage right after that patch was forced on us. Me and my friends that had good chars got into a group of 5 and just ruined everyone's shit for hours until we got killed by a massive army of people.

Lastly, EA can eat a dick.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:I'm gonna get a WiiU for that game
Personally I wouldn't do that unless you're also interested in other wuu games to make it worth it.
Otherwise, yes. It's a very good game with a whole bunch of content. No miracles, just great music, a decent plot, who gives a flying rat's ass about graphics anyway, and 200+ hours if you want to do everything in the first run. Plus a CT-style easy NG+ - you keep your levels/various exp points and a hand-picked fraction of your items. Your carrying capacities are heavily cut down, but you won't really grab anything until the endgame anyway so that's fine. You also keep the global achievements, but the local ones are wiped and have to be obtained again from scratch. You get more affinity points from it, so you can experiment all the crazy ability setups you want.
The WiiU sequel's trailer looks awesome
It may be spoilish to say, but I doubt X is a sequel. Xenoblade is pretty self-contained. You'll see what I mean.
It does share a similar battle UI, although the whole "everyone can range/melee, suddenly giant robot punch in my face" will probably throw a wrench in what Xenoblade built up.
Better wait for the finished product to say for sure.
it seems to have a similar battle system to WoW.
The ally AI is fucking good. That's what felt the best about the battles. When they die, it's because you're so outmatched you need perfectly-tuned eq sets to even stand a chance. As long as you don't tackle enemies 15 levels above yours, they use their skills efficiently, considering the various effects in place (break-topple-daze & counter/topple/range spikes), without any FF12-like programming.
EA can eat a dick.
Cannibalism.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

grinvader wrote:Bioshock Infinite: approved by founding father grinstock
Play it, bitches.
The ending is awesome. In fact, the entire story is awesome, once you piece everything together.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I am interested in big Mario, Zelda, and Metroid titles but at the same time I'm not a fan of motion controls, so if the WiiU isn't for me I could just buy a used Wii IF I can find Xenoblade for a fair price($60 or less) and I don't care if it's used or doesn't have the manual or even the box; I just want the goddamn disc even if it's in some random case. I'm no collector and I only buy games to play them. Considering the Wii's hardware, XBC looks gorgeous and I really like the art style. My favorite option in Xeno is that you can use the Japanese voice track and my God does it sound better, although from what I've heard of the English voices they're pretty good.

I'm just used to watching subbed anime, so I prefer my JRPGs that way as well. I LOVE that they included the Japanese track. Thanks for the tips, vader. I think what I'll do is try to find the game before I decide which system to get, because I'm going to play that game whichever way I can. Dolphin was just to test it; I want to support good game developers that don't put tons of DLC and shit in their products, and XBC is the definition of a quality game. It's sad that it's already so rare; reminds me of Suikoden 2 on PSX which I thankfully got right when it came out, and that's a fucking good game too.

Edit: I hope both Monolith and Mistwalker make HUGE hits that beat out their larger competition. Both have the talent to do it, and it'd be the gaming equivalent of Matt Serra knocking out GSP/Buster Douglas knocking Tyson the fuck out.

Edit2: BSI does look really cool, but I've actually never played ANY of the Bioshock games. I'm not an FPS fan at all but that series does look awesome; I want to play the first 2 before Infinite. My GFX card is a shitpile so I either need to get em on 360 or upgrade my gfx card very soon.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:I'm not an FPS fan at all but that series does look awesome
Those are the only FPS I ever bought (hl2 doesn't count because it came with Portal).
As a dirty peasant console gamer, I am very much teh suck @ fps, but those are still worth it.
I want to play the first 2 before Infinite.
I think the PS3 ver has BS1 on its disk (in the US only), which is definitely a must play before BSI.
BS2 is fine if you want to adventure some more in the world BS1 established.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

In a way, I've always liked BioShock 2 more than the first. Sure, BioShock's story can't be beat, but BS2's improved combat and its' own twists really sold the game for me.

Eleanor and Elizabeth FTW
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Vercetti87

Post by Vercetti87 »

I have just finished the game: "Zombies ate my neighbors" of Snes:

Quite fun.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Sleeping Dogs, Ni No Kuni, Plants vs. Zombies Adventures (my first facebook game, I love PvZ that much), and a Sherlock Holmes hidden object game.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

sweener2001 wrote:Plants vs. Zombies Adventures (my first facebook game, I love PvZ that much)
How is it? I heard some good things about the game.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Resident Evil: Revelations and The Walking Dead. Both are great.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

snkcube wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:Plants vs. Zombies Adventures (my first facebook game, I love PvZ that much)
How is it? I heard some good things about the game.
They had the good sense to slap a beta tag on it, it's still kind of buggy. Unresponsive at times, but the gameplay is fun enough. I've been getting by just fine without spending money, although the planter boxes are behind the paywall.

The TD itself is a little more traditional in that there is a set path the zombies follow, and plants can only be planted along or in the path. They'll mix it up with multiple paths, but zombies don't change the track they're on. Stuff like growing your plants is time limited, so they only let you play about three levels at a time, assuming you're keeping your plants fully stocked. I check in a couple times a day, and knock out 5-30 minutes of play depending on whether I play levels or not.

Stage progress is blocked by friend requests or handing over large sums of in-game cash. I finally have enough friends (without sending spam requests) to maybe start not having to pay my way to later stages.

It's fun enough, but the real sequel is coming in a couple months. I can't say you should play it, but if you like PvZ, I would recommend checking it out at the least.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

What the fuck.

( I prefer http://www.walfas.org/?p=1133 )
皆黙って俺について来い!!

odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:( I prefer http://www.walfas.org/?p=1133 )
oh goddammit.

i'll be around level 6700 by the time this post goes through.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

grinvader wrote:
What the fuck.
iceberg after iceberg

You have 6.489634253274652e+40 lollipops!