screen tearing???? tried everything... plz help!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

seam
Rookie

screen tearing???? tried everything... plz help!

Post by seam »

man..i know my comp is fast enough to run zsnes at fullspeed(1.3ghz fx 5600). i get full 60fps or 50fps(pal) in every rom with 2xsai. and no matter if i use vsync or not, its still the same. ive messed with the frames per second stuff as well, and ive turned vertical sync in my nvdia options on and off...it seems like no matter what i do i just CANT get it to run without tearing..and the funny thing is, when i had a 700mhz with a fx 5200, i dont remember ever having this problem. ive also messed with the refresh rate and video drivers. tried direct-x 8 and 9. i dont know what else to do. i really appreciate any suggestions. thanks. :)
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Try the new command-line option which forces your computer's display to run at 60Hz refresh rate.

First, download the latest WIP version. Create a shortcut to the ZSNES exectuable. In the first text box, add -6 (with a space) after the "zsnesw.exe" part. The -6 option must come after the end quotation mark, and must have a preceding space (" ") character.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

And then enable VSYNC in the emulator options.
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

ok, first off i tried both ideas and it didnt work. but when i think about it, i shouldnt have said screen tearing to begin with cus its not really tearing i dont think. like when im playing a 3d game like quake3 or something and the screen tears its clearly a tear. like the video not syncing with the refreshrate u know? this is more like.... well im testing mario world and yoshis island. and it does it in both. its like when i start running the screen has a hard time keeping up. it just jerks and jerks and jerks. its sooo annoying. it looks like a refresh rate issue. but i have changed the refresh rate to various settings and it made no difference at all. also triple buffering doesnt help at all either. also when i DO turn on vsync, it KILLS it. ha. it just makes it jerky times 50. so yeah.. i dont know what to do.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

What resolution are you at and what quality are you running them at.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
KingKirby

Post by KingKirby »

This sounds identical to the problem I was having, except I only got it with HQ3X enabled. That is, in 800x600 and 1024x768 the screen couldn't keep up with my sprint shoes, but in 640x480 (in HQ2X) it works fine. Since you say you're using 2xSaI instead of HQxX, maybe the problem is more universal than I thought. But at any rate, although I'm sure you've thought to change your resolution by now, I'll suggest it anyway.
I hate you all.
KingKirby

Post by KingKirby »

Good thing I just suggested the same thing the guy before me mentioned.
I hate you all.
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

1024x768 super sxsai. and my refresh rate is at 60.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Try 800x600.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

i just tried 640x480 800x600 and my 1024 current setting with super 2xsai and without and with vsync and without, etc. it still doesnt matter. nothing i do makes it not jerk like that.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

What type of cpu are you using and what OS?
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

xp pro. 1.2ghz celeron(tualatin). sorry its not 1.3 like i said b4. i just ran sandrasoft and checked. anyway, so yeah thats what i have. also i have 448 of sdram and a geforce fx 5600
PKFAIRY
Cosmic Chaos

Post by PKFAIRY »

os and processor speed shouldnt have a bearing on this problem rage, its a matter of the horizontal refresh matching the vertical refresh which is what vsync is supposed to do. Some cards have drivers with an option to activate vsync automatically if you access the advanced properties under your display settings.
*poof*
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Try a different monitor, and or, video-card.
PKFAIRY
Cosmic Chaos

Post by PKFAIRY »

thats a bit extreme and almost stupid if only zsnes is giving you problems. My first line of action would be along the lines of trying to find a way to limit the refresh rate as was stated by using the -6 and enabling vsync. If that doesnt work I would go into my adapter properties and tweak those. Buy a new vid card if its something minor like this is utterly stupid.
*poof*
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

DISABLE Triple Buffering in ZSNES
then
ENABLE VSYNC

If you have them both ENABLED, it really ONLY uses Triple Buffering.
It's kind of a bug in ZSNES.
Version 1.36 doesn't have this problem.

If it still "tears" after that, then I don't know what to say...
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

ive tried that already
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

PK I didn't tell to go buy a vid card I told him to try another one, he might have onboard video or a pci or agp card lying around somewhere. Try taking a step back and looking at the forest instead of the tree there.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Right click your Windows desktop then choose Properties. Go to the Settings tab, then click Advanced. Go to the Monitor tab, and there you can change the screen refresh rate. Change it to 60 (if it's not already).
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

ha.... thanks, but im not a moron. i know where to change the refresh rate. i said before that i had messed with it already... didnt help :( although it DID seem a little better at 100 instead of 60. but not much.
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

also. this is probably stupid and doesnt matter. but i noticed that yoshis island runs at 50fps?????? could it be i have like a pal rom and this is causing the problem?? cus it does seem like its worse in yoshis island as opposed to mario world.. probably nothing right.
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Maybe you should test different games, on different computers, on different Versions of ZSNES.

I dunno, I have 3 LCD Monitors and THAT IS ALL I USE.

- I have a 19" Sony SMD-HX93 LCD Monitor running from a DVI Cable on my ATi 9800 Pro (25ms Response)
- I have a 15.4" WXUGA Screen on my Dell XPS Gaming Laptop (16ms Response)
- I have a 50" Sony HD LCD TV with DVI-in

I HATE CRT Monitors.
They give me a head-ache
Refresh Rates suck, even at 100+.

If you can, I recommend you buy yourself a nice fast $1,000 LCD :)
I can play Doom 3 or any FPS just fine.
ZSNES doesn't have any "tearing" issues either.
Having a precise LCD for Photoshop is a huge plus too!
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

While LCD technology is clearly superior to CRT in terms of power usage, physical space occupied, and the easy-on-the-eyes factor...I really doubt that it has anything to do with the issue posted by seam. If anything, I would blame the video card long before the display device. Though without similar behavior in other applications, it is difficult to blame the video card as well.

I find your comment "Refresh Rates suck" humorous, because traditionally CRT has been able to achieve significantly higher rates of screen drawing than LCD. Traditionally, anyway. With the basis of the two technologies completely different (LCD passes electric current through liquid crystals in the nematic phase to control the passage of light through said crystals in a predictable way; whereas the cathode ray tube is basically a large electron gun inside a vacuum shooting x horizontal lines across the screen's surface per second), comparing how quickly they can change the display is comparing two entirely separate methods. Metaphorically, it's similar to comparing analog and digital technology, considering the degree of the difference.

Most importantly, very few people are willing to spend $1,000 USD on an LCD computer screen as you suggest. $1,000 USD will get you a top-quality flatscreen television of impressive size, though.
seam
Rookie

Post by seam »

I personally hate flatscreen screens. The framerate issue is a downer, plus I hate that "interpolated" look to the picture. I just don't see any real advantages, besides saving space. And you're certainly not saving money. Anyway, the ONLY other app/game I really have this problem in seems to be genecyst. It's a great emulator, but it also seems to have the tearing/slowdown problem. Nebula, and gba, etc. are fine though.. I'm surprised no one else has had this problem. Like I said before, even at 640x480 with NO special effects, it still does this... and I have a 1.2ghz with a fx 5600... it just doesn't make sense. I'll keep checking up on this topic until I figure something out, or just give up. Any help is appreciated, as always.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

seam wrote:Anyway, the ONLY other app/game I really have this problem in seems to be genecyst. It's a great emulator, but it also seems to have the tearing/slowdown problem.
Why does one you Genecyst when you've got enought horsepower in your machine to run Gens?
Last edited by Agozer on Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.