Best games for SNES

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Best games for SNES

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Personally, I like the World of Ruin.
Reminds me of RPGing in the NES days, where they just threw you onto the map with an end goal and told you to go nuts.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I admit it's the only of the three I've played
Yuber wrote:I haven't played the original Soul Blazer
Dudes. You two are SO missing out. Go play through it. And if anyone else here has gone through it, do it again.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Personally, I like the World of Ruin.
Reminds me of RPGing in the NES days, where they just threw you onto the map with an end goal and told you to go nuts.
I really enjoy the openness too, but I would've liked a few more story-heavy sequences as well. I'm not sure what would've worked well story-wise after the FC, but my guess is that the WoR is open because the devs made the game in a year and ran out of time. That said, the character sidequests are cool and do have good story segments, I love the 8 dragons, and the final boss battle is an absolute masterwork visually and especially music-wise. Dancing Mad is my favorite VG tune. The final boss should've been as powerful as Zeromus with much more HP(plus Life3), but the artwork and music in the final battle are still unmatched imo, especially considering the limits of the SNES hardware.

adventure_of_link wrote: Dudes. You two are SO missing out. Go play through it. And if anyone else here has gone through it, do it again.
I have a big backlog of long RPGs to play and my DQVIII order arrived today, so it'll be a while before I play it. How does it compare in story/general quality to Terranigma and Gaia? Terranigma is arguably the best action RPG on the SNES; the story is fantastic, the exploration is awesome, and the combat is tight and responsive.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SB is less dynamic than Terranigma (no running, no walking in diagonal, only two attack moves + magic), but the world building feels more personal (since you resurrect each single soul yourself). Smaller world, but closer to the various flora/fauna. Plot is more straightforward, with some nice touches here and there.
No permanently missable things, unlike IoG and Terranigma (choosing the wrong development decisions for that town, remember ?). Lots of optional items you can 'miss', but you can come back and collect them. Rather, you will definitely come back for mandatory things.

Battle system is a bit more contrived, being an actiony take on Actraiser - most monsters spawn from a spawn point, have an invulnerable timer, you kill them, another spawns... there are exceptions. Some spawn at a set delay regardless if you killed the previous one(s), and a third type of spawn point already has every mob spawned and roaming around the area. Lastly, some mobs just aren't linked to any spawn point and will repop everytime you come back to an area (which is a good thing). Some enemy types are immune to normal damage. See also: mandatory backtracking. Absolutely zero need to grind as long as you kill everything that crosses your path at least once. Linear stat scaling damage formulas, so one level doesn't matter much (I'm looking at you, Terranigma).

Considering it's the first of them, the other two clearly built on top of it with extras.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

To me SB plays decently.

You have six different regions and basically you have to explore the cave, dungeon, whatever (even a painting and two model towns!!) in the region in order to resurrect it, revive the townspeople, restore the flora/fauna, etc. Kind of like Mario region wise; you have the grass land, a forest, water area, ice land, someone's house, and finally the last gigantic town. Additionally the EXP system plays like Super Paper Mario; how big your EXP (or score in that regard is) depends on how your level is factored.

Also if you can figure out which enemies re-spawn even if you touch a monster's lair that resurrects part of the town, etc that would be helpful, you could gain levels a bit faster...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:like Super Paper Mario; how big your EXP (or score in that regard is) depends on how your level is factored.
what

The exp system is entirely static. An enemy always gives the same amount, regardless your level or equipment. You level up at set boundaries. You reach endgame between level 24 and 26, depending how much extra stuff you killed in backtracks. The final boss is a decent challenge at level 25, but you can go all the way to 50 - which doesn't really matter, since you can only hurt the final boss with an attack that doesn't scale with level, so all it does is more HP buffer for you (almost double the hp does help).
For a reference,

lvl - exp - hp
24 - 420k - 54
25 - 570k - 56
26 - 760k - 58
50 - 100M - 100
Yes, I know those by heart. Yes, HP maxes at level 47 (59M), so there's really, really no reason to get the last 41M exp, aside from a few extra offence/defence points that don't do anything since you already kill every non-boss in one hit (the final boss' flame pillars always take 5 hits, regardless your offense), can't kill the final boss any faster, and already take 1HP damage from anything since around level 33. Bite me.
you could gain levels a bit faster...
Grabbing an extra level out of place is horribly tedious and not worth it for a single second. The only places where 'enough' exp is concentrated is (1) the room with the mimics in magridd's castle (1k a pop, around 4k/minute) to try and reach level 22 for the Recovery Blade faster (waste of time) and (2) the very final area's first spot with the 3 panels (36k, around 20k/second).
Considering both the exp reqs for levels and the exp earned from enemies rise exponentially during the game, staying in an old area instead of going to the next is absolutely not optimal.
Being overlevelled in SB is retarded (the amount of time spent doesn't justify the miserable increase in abilities), and underlevelled is quite impossible for a first-timer (since you don't know which monsters you have to kill to advance the plot, you'll kill everything and advance naturally).

In paper mario, you get clearly diminishing exp returns from being over the enemy's level, until even fucking amazy daisies give you jack shit 1 exp (i assume, since the drop rate is pretty steep. haven't actually reached that point, but from the maximum of 70 it can drop i'm only at like 8 on my save).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Damn vader, you sound like a SB savant! I've only played through Terranigma once and I did neglect lots of town development so I could progress through the story. I agree that there are WAY too many permanently missable sidequests/development arcs etc. I've watched a few YT videos of SB's gameplay and it looks very simplistic but seems solid physics wise. I loved Terranigma because of its incredibly epic story for an action RPG; it's better than most turn-based JRPG stories. The sense of emotional investment in the souls in the original SB interests me, but I'm guessing the story isn't quite as grand in scale as Terranigma. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll give it a go once I'm done with DQ8 and FF4DS.

Unrelated, but YuYu Hakusho Tokubetsu Hen is ridiculously fun, especially 2-player mode. The mode 7 effects in it are pretty amazing. YYH is a pretty damn good anime imo, and that game captures the fights really well for an old SNES game. The sense of scale and the impact of attacks work really well and look awesome, especially Toguro at 100%. Even if you don't like YYH, you should play it because it's a really fun game that's easy to navigate despite the Japanese text. Toguro's thumb blasts are cheap as shit at 100% power.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Sorry to bring up a four month old topic, but Yu Yu Hakoshu Tokobten Hu has a very very steep learning curve which is why most people on z-net don't play it. You have to learn all the moves for all 30 to 40 characters in the game and I really don't want to invest my time in a game that will take a learning curve to learn when street fighter or gundam wing endless dual uses casual rotations to do special moves. I find casual rotations aka. Sabin (FF6) Blitzez, Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter to be much more standard to learn than complicated moves such as Yu Yu or the horendously boring Mortal Kombat.

Soul Blazer was good in its own right. The last boss DeathTroll was easy, but the game was still fairly decent. The hardest rpg I considered that I played and beat on the snes is Romancing Saga 3. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma were ultimately very well made quality games too.

Nobody mentions this obscure game also, but so was Robotrek. Robotrek had a very interesting battle system and moves list system also.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Mark57Raider wrote:>The last boss DeathTroll was easy
>The last boss DeathTroll
>boss DeathTroll
>DeathTroll

Robotrek had a very interesting battle system and moves list system also.
Pretty hard too. Finding effective weapon combos on some of the bosses... well, then you reload and engage raep time.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

grinvader wrote:
>boss DeathTroll
>DeathTroll
Hahahahhahhahahhaahahhahahhhaahaha
Robotrek had a very interesting battle system and moves list system also.
Pretty hard too. Finding effective weapon combos on some of the bosses... well, then you reload and engage raep time.
The bosses weren't particularly hard in Robotrek.. Well I take that back, a lot of them were annoying since either A. my RRR each turn was either A. a weak measly 1 damage. or B. 200+300 critical hit omg can't believe that happened hit. I found my first play through to be luck based dude to my noobiness on how to upgrade my robots. That being said on my next playthrough my hits did more than just 1-2 damage each turn for the fact of calculating "Attack", "Defense", "Energy" and "Speed".
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Mark: I agree that SF-style movesets are much better in general than Tokubetsu Hen's cinematic, kinda turn-based system. It's so damn fun to play though, even just against the CPU. The effects are incredibly well done for a SNES game too. It's fun to play as 100% Toguro & wreck everyone's shit in tournament mode, but against real people he's just too strong. I used to watch the anime a lot when I was younger, so I even enjoy watching different characters fight eachother in tournament mode while I wait for my next match. It's got this weird turn-based play style that's surprisingly addictive.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader wrote:
>boss DeathTroll
>DeathTroll
Hahahahahaha x2

The Death Troll: It consumes EVERYTHING.

that said I just went through Soul Blazer for the first time recently (yeah yeah go on and flame for me going through a game FOR THE FIRST TIME in its 21 years of existance) and I must give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.
NSRT here.
mayalew

Post by mayalew »

Zelda Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Terranigma
Breath of Fire 1/2
Final Fantasy 4/5/6
Ogre Battle
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia 1/2
Tales of Phantasia
geekwithnintendo

Post by geekwithnintendo »

Super Mario World- 4
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

This list has been done already....
Super Mario World is highly overrated and way too easy...Unless you are talking about hacks...
To whom the platform gamer tolls, play Umihara Kawase or Pac-in-Time...
It has better rope physics mechanics.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:This list has been done already....
Super Mario World is highly overrated and way too easy...Unless you are talking about hacks...
To whom the platform gamer tolls, play Umihara Kawase or Pac-in-Time...
It has better rope physics mechanics.
Mario World is fun as hell, even if it IS easy.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

For some reason I found the Donkey Kong Country snes series to be better games than Super Mario World. They are just as easy if easier. To be quite frank, I found Super Mario Bros 3 to be a better platformer than Super Mario World. In super mario world you can exploit shortcuts to finish the game quickly...Even though you don't have to do it and you can work your way around to killing all the koopa kids, I think if Nintendo didn't allow that short or no special road shortcuts it would have been a much better game. Just my opinion.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:For some reason I found the Donkey Kong Country snes series to be better games than Super Mario World. They are just as easy if easier. To be quite frank, I found Super Mario Bros 3 to be a better platformer than Super Mario World. In super mario world you can exploit shortcuts to finish the game quickly...Even though you don't have to do it and you can work your way around to killing all the koopa kids, I think if Nintendo didn't allow that short or no special road shortcuts it would have been a much better game. Just my opinion.
Yes, if they didn't have short cuts, built into some kind of, I dunno, warp zone... the game would've been much better.

Less sarcastically, Star Road required far more skill to exploit than the traditional warp zones of every prior Super Mario game. It's not much of a viable option for your first runthrough.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Well Super Mario Bros 3 had two flutes you could use to warp straight to world 8 I know, but the ridiculously low level count of Super Mario World... 12 to 13 levels if I'm counting correctly, straight to Bowser's Castle. Beat Yoshi's Island and then also with Star Road having the first level as "spin jump to the right you win, Yoshi eats yellow star eat all fish, Kill Lakitu key, Go down with Blue Yoshi get key you win and fight bowser. Save princess. That's pretty much star road and the game in a nutshell. Donkey Kong Country had more levels.... Sure you can use the warp to orangutang gang, but that leaves you with more levels to beat than Super Mario World... Also the difficulty of the Donkey Kong Country games is tuned up by just a tad bit.

I know there are better runs of donkey kong country out there, but hey... knock yourself out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NHkTbPCAw. Just so you know what to expect it's a Non TAS 1 Death 50-65 minute speedrun.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'd be surprised if you found ALL the second exits in the star road stages on your first go...

And the first exits, well, don't activate the shortcuts. It's a reward for people who sniff the secret stuff.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

If anything I think that the Special is pretty much the hardest part of the game. And no I didn't have the luxury of finding everything on StarRoad in the first go. Then again, playing on an original cartridge, I was able to sniff out all the exits and stuff basically through trial and error. Donkey Kong Country is as linear as you can get though, except save for Funky Kong letting you use his barrel plane.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Mark57Raider wrote:I was able to sniff out all the exits and stuff basically through trial and error.
Even chocolate island 2's exits ? Sure smells like bullshit to me !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Mario World is ridiculously fucking fun and the fact that it's easy doesn't make it any less fun. Chrono Trigger & FF6 are both stupidly easy but they're incredibly fun, engaging games as well. I like a challenge and everything but if a game is fun I don't really care if it's too easy or hard.

SMW and SMB3 are the best Mario games imo. Also yes I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread; I'm bored.