WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:
Yuber wrote:there are a lot of people who prefer using motion in Xenoblade due to being able to input commands more quickly/better multitasking.
They must be pretty sad then, since there's no motion commands in xeno.
and would be good for Yuber then amirite?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote: First of all, motion control aiming for shooters, while not quite PC-mouse level, is infinitely superior to using an analogue stick to drunkenly wobble the aiming reticule in the general direction of an enemy, hoping to hit something with the built in autoaim all console shooters have, which is made specifically to negate analogue stick control issues.

Analogue stick aiming is to motion control aiming what d-pad aiming was to analogue aiming around 1998. You're either crazy or just afraid of change if you want to keep using the older method.
'3, of course, doesn't use motion-control for aiming. It uses lightgun technology for aiming. Point and click, just like a real gun. :P
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I should've phrased the Xenoblade part of that post differently, my mistake. I meant that you can use the Wiimote to play the game, although you're right that there's nothing specifically motion-based in it, and yes it does make it much more appealing to me. I'm FAR from the only person who dislikes motion and/or touch controls.

Also, innovation is always good but it's also good to give people options when it comes to control schemes. I can understand games like Wii Fit and others that are 100% motion based only having that option, but it's never a bad thing to offer gamepad support for games like DKC Returns. I grew up with consoles so a pad feels like an extension of my hand; it's personal preference and I find it silly that people are arguing with me about something that you can't be right or wrong about. I simply don't like motion or touch controls.

I think gamepads are pretty good the way they are right now, and I'd much rather have innovative games with "traditional" pad support instead of innovating with different control schemes. Why not give people who don't like motion and/or touch controls options in games that aren't completely built around those control schemes? Improving the precision of sticks and dpads(360 dpad) would be nice as well. If motion controls become standard and mandatory in all games, I'll probably stop playing new games. Standard 60fps for all games would improve things a lot more than innovative control schemes, imo.

Edit: Still playing CT, at the ocean palace. I'm gonna power through the rest of the game so I can immerse myself in DQ8's world, and I'm putting FF4DS on hold for a bit. Once I learn the basics of DQ8 I'll alternate between the 2, but finishing CT comes first since it won't take long to finish it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Man, this week's been good to me entertainment-wise. Saint's Row IV, Hate Plus, and DiveKick all hit at once.
Yuber wrote:Also, innovation is always good but it's also good to give people options when it comes to control schemes. I can understand games like Wii Fit and others that are 100% motion based only having that option, but it's never a bad thing to offer gamepad support for games like DKC Returns. I grew up with consoles so a pad feels like an extension of my hand; it's personal preference and I find it silly that people are arguing with me about something that you can't be right or wrong about. I simply don't like motion or touch controls.
I'm arguing that there should always be an option. Not that you don't like accelerometers or touchscreens.
Though your statements about how Wii games play show you hate it without experience.

DKCR APPEARS to be a case of shoe-horned motion control just to say they did it, which is usually not all that good. I've not played it, but it seems to just be using accelerometer input as a button.

Wii Speed Racer made decent use of the accelerometers. Decently accurate analog steering with no extra hardware purchases, and stunts/attacks were easy and intuitive.
It's a case where all the inputs are right to do it on a regular controller, but it still wouldn't go so well. Driving games in general are a great case for the Wiimote. When used properly, it offers much finer turning than an analog nipple. A NeGCon isn't a bad option either, though those are somewhat scarce, ill-supported in the modern era, special-purpose devices, and also prone to failure with age.
I think gamepads are pretty good the way they are right now,
I think gamepads as they are now are fucking terrible, frankly.
We have twenty years of "what addons can we glue to an SNES pad?" substituting for actual thoughtful development, and when someone does something RIGHT, they back off it the next time around because it's "strange." (last major offender: XBox Controller S->360. Most notable cockup: Pause moved from right by the thumb to the middle of fucking nowhere).

And the SNES pad itself was a half-hearted update of the NES pad. While there were ergonomic considerations made for once, it was still a half-hearted update. And the NES pad was itself an adaptation of the Game&Watch-style input to a game console, most likely to keep costs down.
The Game&Watch series was not designed to provide the best input ever, it was designed to be pocketable and "good enough".
and I'd much rather have innovative games with "traditional" pad support instead of innovating with different control schemes.
There's room for both. As said, my weapon of choice is a joystick. But I'm open to new ideas.
I don't even gripe about games built around a gamepad layout anymore. Hell, Robot Alchemic Drive makes me like Sony's stacked shoulder triggers and twin analog nipples.
Why not give people who don't like motion and/or touch controls options in games that aren't completely built around those control schemes?
If it makes sense, fine. That's a much more reasonable stance than all games should have a traditional input scheme fallback for grumps that hate change.

But accelerometer/lightgun is a much different form of input than buttons and analog nipples, and it's easy to run into sanity issues in the process of making a multi-input game. If sanity has to take a back seat to supporting multiple controller types, or if you start sacrificing features because they can only be implemented sanely on a single controller type, it's time to re-evaluate that option.

I own games that were rendered almost unplayable by the decision to do multi-input(with original target input going both ways). The end result was neither control type worked worth a damn.
Improving the precision of sticks and dpads(360 dpad) would be nice as well.
Or getting rid of the fucking analog nipples entirely and replacing them with something that works worth a damn. They've always been a half-assed excuse for an analog input device that excels at nothing other than being cheap and easy to glue onto an existing design. They lack the travel distance and resistance required for decent analog input outside full-tilt to the edges. Hell, they don't even provide uniform resistance in most cases, being biased towards the 4 cardinal directions due to the centering mechanism they use.
I seem to recall the Saturn analog pads working better(and I know they have an unbiased centering mechanism), but I can't swear to it as it's been YEARS since I've had my hands on one.

The only device I know of to try to deal with the tension issues completely is the Sinistar joystick, which is designed so that the further from center you are, the more tension there is. This makes it very easy to do fine motions in the central area without "falling" to the far limits of the stick's range.
It's basically the opposite of most sticks, where once you apply enough force to get out of the dead zone, there's no meaningful tension, and I'd love to see what one actually feels like in use(I've sadly never actually touched a Sinistar cab). It certainly explains why such a well-regarded game controls like a drunken ice skater in emulation if I'm expected to have more fine control than I do.

The 360 d-pad HAS been improved, BTW. There was a running change somewhere in the line that fixed the sloppiness and imprecision(which was entirely down to parts having the wrong tolerances). I can't say where, as I own a very early and a very recent 360 pad. But a new 360 pad will work just fine, while an old one will have difficulty even navigating a menu.

And in my opinion, the only time Sony ever did a damn thing right with their controller design was the original analog joystick. Not the DualShock gamepad. Not the older Dual Analog gamepad. The Analog JOYSTICK. Decent range of motion, and you have access to all controls(except select and start, a regrettably common oversight) at all times. You never have to let go of one control to reach another.

I grudgingly concede the DualShock 4 looks to be a second time they got it right, in that they moved Start to a more accessible location AND KILLED SELECT DEAD LIKE IT DESERVED TO BE A QUARTER-CENTURY AGO IT NEVER SHOULD'VE EVEN BEEN BORN.

And yes, input device design is something that I've thought a LOT about.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Welp, first run of Hate Plus concluded. They managed to get that same sense of horror going that Analogue had towards the end, this time WITHOUT any physical violence.

First run, of course, I imported the one true clear file from Analogue. And the girls continue to remind me that I had to punch a hole in reality to MAKE that clear file. You'd think they'd quit questioning my extra-temporal skills after one game, but whatever. Impossible harem end get!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
*Mute

Post by *Mute »

Harem end get? Who talks like that?

Hey, wait a sec! I'm not his wife, okay? That's just *Hyun-ae's delusions, and she needs to stop forcing them on people.

Wait, am I onscreen? Is this shit really text-only? Where's my avatar controls?
Off-site URL? Static image file? What sort of ass-backwards stone-age system am I connected to?
Mugunghwa ship security AI, retired
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'd like dpads that are AT LEAST as precise as Saturn pads, and those Madcatz fightpads are vastly inferior to a Saturn pad which is just inexcusable considering all the leaps in tech we've made since the Saturn. They're cheaply built, overpriced trash. I don't personally have a problem with the 360 analog sticks, but I mostly play old games that use its shitty dpad. I usually use a wired 360 pad for emulation, and since I'm so used to the dpad I can use it pretty well in games that aren't fighters or shmpus. Good fightpads that are even better than a Saturn pad would certainly be nice. I prefer the SS pad to a joystick simply because I'm more used to pads than I am sticks, although GOOD sticks are generally the most precise controllers available for fighters/shmups.

You are right that I don't have a lot of experience with the Wii(and I don't hate it, I simply dislike its control schemes other than the classic pad), but I dislike motion controls as a whole even if they're very well implemented; it's just not my style. I'd much rather play an innovative game with a great story, great gameplay etc that uses a "standard" pad than even a VERY precise motion-based game. Light gun shooters are an exception for me because trying to use a gamepad to move a cursor around to shoot is incredibly annoying and sloppy. I always enjoyed those LG shooters back when arcades were popular. Making pads MUCH more precise as a whole plus having all games run at 60fps standard would make me much happier than innovative control schemes.

Still playing CT. I've been busy lately so I've only gotten as far as the Blackbird. I LOVE 12,000 BC in CT; it's my favorite time period with 600 AD being #2. It's a really cool take on the whole Atlantis story and even today the world map of Zeal is stunningly gorgeous. I know a lot of people hate Chrono Cross(it's no CT), but I personally enjoy it and I see El Nido as a grounded, island-based version of Zeal with elements replacing innate magical powers. It sucks that Magus' story wasn't implemented though; he's my favorite CT character.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I'd like dpads that are AT LEAST as precise as Saturn pads, and those Madcatz fightpads are vastly inferior to a Saturn pad which is just inexcusable considering all the leaps in tech we've made since the Saturn.
Tech-wise, the d-pad is virtually unchanged since the Game&Watch. Occasionally someone forgets that a fulcrum is very useful, but for the most part... it's all down to tolerances and the precise configuration of the fulcrum.
About the only d-pad that ISN'T the Game & Watch d-pad with the serial numbers filed off is Mattel's Intellivision d-pad. Which was the first d-pad, and had more than eight directions(but no fulcrum).
I don't personally have a problem with the 360 analog sticks, but I mostly play old games that use its shitty dpad.
Oh, I wasn't complaining specifically about the 360's analog nipples.
This is a global complaint for EVERY analog thumbstick I've ever used.
And THE 360 d-pad isn't shitty. SOME 360 d-pads are shitty. YOUR 360 d-pad is shitty. ONE of my 360 d-pads is shitty. One of them works well enough to be considered a viable gaming input(and I have standards for this sort of thing).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

*Mute wrote:Harem end get? Who talks like that?

Hey, wait a sec! I'm not his wife, okay? That's just *Hyun-ae's delusions, and she needs to stop forcing them on people.

Off-site URL? Static image file? What sort of ass-backwards stone-age system am I connected to?
....dafuq?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

adventure_of_link wrote:

....dafuq?
It's a bot...I hope. Speaking of d-pads, it seems like MS vastly improved it on the Xbox One controller.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

we're waiting with popcorn and hammer.

skyward sword hero mode complete. the sheer quantity of damage you take for the most minor fuckup during the final sequence demands patience, precision, and/or a metric shitton of potions. (i refused to use the invincibility potion on principle.)

just started kingdom hearts:3ds. it's pretty and mildly bewildering, as is standard for the series.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
*Mute

Post by *Mute »

snkcube wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

....dafuq?
It's a bot...I hope. Speaking of d-pads, it seems like MS vastly improved it on the Xbox One controller.
That's a little rude. I don't call you a meatsack, so don't call me a bot, okay?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

snkcube wrote:Speaking of d-pads, it seems like MS vastly improved it on the Xbox One controller.
*sigh*
They improved it ON THE 360 CONTROLLER.

I swear, if people handled Sony hardware like this, we'd all be amazed and astounded that the Vita has a working [] button.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Isn't the improved 360 dpad only available on wireless controllers? I use a wired 360 pad for emulation and even with the floaty dpad I can play any game that isn't a shmup or fighter fairly well. I used to use one of those Gravis PSX knockoff pads with the VERY floaty dpad and I could even play fighters with it, so I can deal with it for the most part. I don't plan on buying an Xbox One but the controller in general looks better; it looks like an updated version of the OG Xbox pad. I'm just saying, dpads in standard controllers for modern systems should be at least as precise as a Saturn pad's, which is still the best dpad available imo. The PS gamepads aren't exactly good for fighters either; neither the layout nor the dpad cut it.

Got through the Blackbird in CT,(I hate that part other than the awesome reward at the end) and a certain mage has joined my party. Don't wanna spoil for people who've never played CT. If you haven't played it, the Doctor L retrans and DS versions are the best versions. I prefer the patched SNES version using 9x, but the DS version has some extra content.

Also, I've never even played the KH games other than using KH1 to test PCSX2(my computer is too slow), but once I upgrade my computer I really should play the final mixes of each game. I don't have a PS3 so the HD remake(s) are out of the question. I do have a PSP but I'd rather play BBS:FM. Fuck SE for not releasing the final mixes outside of Japan; those would've sold fairly well here considering how passionate many KH fans are, plus 1-2 sold more copies in the US than in Japan.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Isn't the improved 360 dpad only available on wireless controllers? I use a wired 360 pad for emulation and even with the floaty dpad I can play any game that isn't a shmup or fighter fairly well.
I don't know when it was introduced.
I know MS doesn't SELL wired pads anymore, so... it's possible. Depends if it was introduced before or after the wired pads were axed.
I used to use one of those Gravis PSX knockoff pads with the VERY floaty dpad and I could even play fighters with it, so I can deal with it for the most part.
Ugh. I had a Gamepad Pro once. Biggest fault is the d-pad was designed to dislike cardinal directions. There's stops under the base ^v<>, and they aren't wide enough to rest the d-button edge on, so they work as pivots instead of stops, and flip the directional disk into a diagonal.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yep, when I played fighters with the Pro and I pressed forward, it was very common for it to register a jump instead, but despite the floatiness I was usually able to pull off quarter circle, half and 360 motions rather easily along with most of the motions required in the King of Fighters series. It was tremendously hard to get used to but I was somehow able to get used to the floaty crap. I still have the pad now and while a couple of the buttons are messed up, I actually find it much easier to pull off specials & supers in fighters with that pad than with my wired 360 controller. I think it's mostly because the dpad is so loose feeling compared to the fairly "stiff" feel of the wired 360 dpad. I don't know the technical terms so I'm just speaking from my own experiences.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

No question, for all it's faults, the Gamepad Pro's d-pad WAS better than the old 360 d-button.
Neither was what I'd call a decent directional, but...
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:(i refused to use the invincibility potion on principle.)
That's the only place I ever used the invincibility potion on fucking principle.
sweet tender loving sandpaper buttrape with a fistful of broken glass

no wonder assface cursed me for all time or smth

oh well
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Saints Row: The Third.

I bought the full package all cheap, beat it a while ago, but recently realized that I never touched the DLC.

I'll be getting back into Skyrim for the DLC as well. I'm debating if I should get more paragon levels in Diablo 3 ahead of the expansion or not. Probably not. Too many other games.

Also on the plate in a sporadic manner: Mark of the Ninja, Orcs Must Die 2, Gears 3, Ni No Kuni, ME3 Citadel.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

*Mute wrote:
snkcube wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

....dafuq?
That's a little rude. I don't call you a meatsack, so don't call me a bot, okay?
First off, it was judged based on your first post here. WAAAY off topic. And bottish.

That said... OK. That is rude, and this conversation is over. (And this conversation is over.)
NSRT here.
*Mute

Post by *Mute »

He, like, calls me his harem and it's off-topic for me to correct the issue? Ahhh, whatever.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:No question, for all it's faults, the Gamepad Pro's d-pad WAS better than the old 360 d-button.
Neither was what I'd call a decent directional, but...
It's WAY too floaty, but I was able to perform a lot of supers and specials in fighting games that are nearly impossible on the old 360 dpad. I'm generally not a fan of wireless pads due to battery issues but they're not a dealbreaker, but for emulation a wired controller is needed for me personally. No need to jump through any hoops with most wired pads, as they get instantly recognized and are easily set up in almost every emulator I use. The Pro is no SS pad, but the fact that I can pull off nearly every super in games like Last Blade 1-2 and the KoF games proved to me that it's much better than wired 360 dpads. Seriously, what was MS thinking when they designed that horrid dpad? I never owned an original Xbox and all my friends had PS2s like me; was the OG Xbox's dpad nearly as bad? From what I've read about it, it's not bad at all and vastly superior to the 360's so I wonder why MS fucked the older 360 dpad up so much?

Still playing CT and doing all the sidequests now. I want that powered up Masamune(Grandleon in the version I'm playing), Rainbow katana, and Prism gear, especially those beastly Prismspecs. Magus is my favorite character, but Chrono's Luminaire(Shining in the retrans) is actually more powerful than Darkmatter even when both of them are at lvl 99 with max magic+Prismspecs on both. In a previous playthrough with ZSNES, I messed with a SS editor just to see which spell was stronger. Luminaire= heaven elemental version of FF's Ultima. Might as well call it Final Judgment.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I'm generally not a fan of wireless pads due to battery issues but they're not a dealbreaker, but for emulation a wired controller is needed for me personally. No need to jump through any hoops with most wired pads, as they get instantly recognized and are easily set up in almost every emulator I use.
Most wireless pads are exactly the same?
The whole song and dance required to get Wiimotes and PS3 pads talking to a PC is unique.
Seriously, what was MS thinking when they designed that horrid dpad?
Probably "Let's reuse the XBox Controller S d-pad, it was pretty sweet. Hey, are the tolerances right on the new parts? Fuck if I know, does it matter?"
They took a good design, then botched it by not actually measuring right.
I never owned an original Xbox and all my friends had PS2s like me; was the OG Xbox's dpad nearly as bad? From what I've read about it, it's not bad at all and vastly superior to the 360's so I wonder why MS fucked the older 360 dpad up so much?
The S Controller has a damn good d-pad. The original controller was an abomination.
The difference between the bad 360 pad and XBox S pad is something like a millimeter of plastic. Swapping an S pad d-button into a bad 360 pad fixes most of the issues, it seems. See also: Pringles mod.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

*Mute wrote:That's a little rude. I don't call you a meatsack, so don't call me a bot, okay?
My bad. Your post was a bit random, so it looked kind of bot-ish to me.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
snkcube wrote:Speaking of d-pads, it seems like MS vastly improved it on the Xbox One controller.
*sigh*
They improved it ON THE 360 CONTROLLER.

I swear, if people handled Sony hardware like this, we'd all be amazed and astounded that the Vita has a working [] button.
I know they improved it with later 360 controllers and I'm not disagreeing with you here. However, a lot of the hands-on stuff I'm reading are saying the d-pad on the Xbox One controller is much improved over the current 360 controllers. You can watch this video on the changes.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this farce.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads