ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Yuber
Trooper

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Yuber »

Damn, that's a lot of moved posts. I just don't know what to talk about when it comes to ZSNES development because I don't know of any recent updates. Has any progress been made?

*puts head back into Tesla coil* How DARE you filthy plebs mock my ancient alien ancestors! It's so obvious that every single unexplained event in the history of the universe was caused by ancient aliens that I can just pull new age bullshit out of my crusty ass without even presenting a single bit of evidence to you ungrateful, feeble-minded insects! My alien ancestors are going to sneak into your bedrooms tonight and tag you by inserting tiny, robotic gerbils into your rectums! Mr. Slave, position 7 please!

I think some new episodes of that goofy show are airing soon. I wonder if Tesla coil man's hair has gotten even more ridiculous looking? I think he was going for the whole "young Einstein" look, but it ended up looking more like "I style my hair with my own spooge".
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:Damn, that's a lot of moved posts. I just don't know what to talk about when it comes to ZSNES development because I don't know of any recent updates. Has any progress been made?

*puts head back into Tesla coil* How DARE you filthy plebs mock my ancient alien ancestors! It's so obvious that every single unexplained event in the history of the universe was caused by ancient aliens that I can just pull new age bullshit out of my crusty ass without even presenting a single bit of evidence to you ungrateful, feeble-minded insects! My alien ancestors are going to sneak into your bedrooms tonight and tag you by inserting tiny, robotic gerbils into your rectums! Mr. Slave, position 7 please!

I think some new episodes of that goofy show are airing soon. I wonder if Tesla coil man's hair has gotten even more ridiculous looking? I think he was going for the whole "young Einstein" look, but it ended up looking more like "I style my hair with my own spooge".
It's best not to ask the developers about progress on Zsnes 2.0, like I said, I've given up all hope for a 2.0 because the emulators now are helluva lot better. Yes, that's negative, immature, but it's been seven f***ing years since the last progress update (btw, progress update != asking for a new release), so yeah....make what you will out of that :wink:
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
grinvader wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:No one really knows how much work on 2.0 has been done in the past seven years.
No one really knows what kind of drugs you've on been on for the past seven years.
It's not like we contracted the coding work to aliens or whatever. Maybe we should have, they probably would've been done by now.

P.S.: heya aliens. short on cats ? look no further.

There are coding aliens now? Dang, we should have them code a PS3 emulator while we're at it. The only drug I've been on is Snes9x/RetroArch.
Coding alien cats, no less!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:it's been seven f***ing years since the last progress update (btw, progress update != asking for a new release)
surely you mean seven fucking days, lel
the only update you care about is "click here to download", anyway. would be a waste of time.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

grinvader wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:it's been seven f***ing years since the last progress update (btw, progress update != asking for a new release)
surely you mean seven fucking days, lel
the only update you care about is "click here to download", anyway. would be a waste of time.
I won't even try denying that in the least. Oh and I edited the offending post ;)
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:

How about no?
Mouse over here to read the URL and realize it isn't what you think it is.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:

How about no?
Mouse over here to read the URL and realize it isn't what you think it is.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen:

(sorry guys, after that post by grin about click here to download links, I couldn't resist...)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

ZSNES 2.0 is all i want for Christmas.
bringing Zsnes back
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Not happening, sorry.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

But Vaderclaus..has worked so hard coding and coding. And all his coding christmas elves need a break. You can't keep making Vaderclaus work for you forever. Sure enough that zsnes 2.0 dream could make all kids wishes come true, but Vaderclaus is checking his list to see who has been naughty and nice and if you beg too much, you're just being naughty. Be nice and give Vaderclaus some milk and cookies, and his coding christmas elves some milk and cookies too. I'm sure they deserve it for all the nice AND NAUGHTY kids who have been wanting presents for christmas.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

darkbenny wrote:ZSNES 2.0 is all i want for Christmas.
Zsnes 2.0? Being worked on? That's a good one. :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet dollars to donuts that Snes9x 1.54 will be out long before the elusive (or would "alleged" be a better word?) Zsnes 2.0 is out. Ain't happening for another seven years I'm afraid. See, 1.51 was released seven years ago, around June 2006 if memory serves me, so I bet we won't see Zsnes 2.0 until at least 2020 at this pace.

It's one thing so busy that it's hard to find the time to port code, it's another to say it's being worked on when it's not.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

I love ZSNES and will always prefer it over the slower(though bit it said more accurate) other snes emus
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Ugh, I still don't see why people prefer Zsnes over Snes9x when it has a better looking GUI and LLE audio. It's like IE 6.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

ZSNES is closes to my heart I like better... I have bsnes, snes9x installed as well... just in case to try a game out with one of them
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I used ZSNES from 98-2012 until I got this budget Win8 PC that doesn't run ZSNES well. I was attached to ZSNES too, but once I switched to 9x, I quickly got used to it(after fucking with the settings) and realized how vastly superior 9x 1.53 it is to ZSNES 1.51. It runs games at the correct(more or less) speed unlike ZSNES, the sound is fucking dead on, and there are more video, sound & other options to top it all off.

JRPGs like FF4-6 & CT make it especially obvious that 9x's sound emulation crushes ZSNES'. Comparing the way they sound in ZSNES to how they sound in 9x is like night and day. ZSNES was my first emulator and I had 14 years of great fun with it, but I believe it's time for people to move on to more accurate emus. Switching is the most difficult part, but I got used to 9x very quickly. It's not like you'll be banned from using ZSNES or your old saves. You'll simply have a superior, more accurate main emu.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:I used ZSNES from 98-2012 until I got this budget Win8 PC that doesn't run ZSNES well. I was attached to ZSNES too, but once I switched to 9x, I quickly got used to it(after fucking with the settings) and realized how vastly superior 9x 1.53 it is to ZSNES 1.51. It runs games at the correct(more or less) speed unlike ZSNES, the sound is fucking dead on, and there are more video, sound & other options to top it all off.

JRPGs like FF4-6 & CT make it especially obvious that 9x's sound emulation crushes ZSNES'. Comparing the way they sound in ZSNES to how they sound in 9x is like night and day. ZSNES was my first emulator and I had 14 years of great fun with it, but I believe it's time for people to move on to more accurate emus. Switching is the most difficult part, but I got used to 9x very quickly. It's not like you'll be banned from using ZSNES or your old saves. You'll simply have a superior, more accurate main emu.
Likewise. Zsnes was the first emulator I remember having sound emulation in 1998 and used it for many years, at least, until 2005 when I heard about SnesGT, didn't realize it at first, but I knew there was something wrong with Zsnes' sound...no, that was SNEeSE, which used very accurate sound, but it wasn't Blarrg's S-SMP core, then came along Snes9x 1.52, and I was blown away from the sound emulation. I was like, say whaaat? and have been a big fan since. The LLE audio emulation is too hard to switch back from, Zsnes' sound is shit no matter how many people try to prove otherwise. Super Mario World is a big offender, his twirl jump, the warp pipe sound, the shrink/grow, Final Fantasy IV through VI, there's just too many sounds. Transitioning is hard indeed, much like many who still thrive on Internet Explorer 6, people don't like the uncomfortable notion of moving from something they're used to.

Games with co-processors run at their proper speed, they don't lock up randomly either. Pseudo hi-res transparency effects in the games that use them are properly emulated (Kirby's Dream Land 3, Jurassic Park, etc), I could spend all day explaining Snes9x's superiority, but I won't :mrgreen: Perhaps I should make a blog...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

IE 6 mostly stuck around because of practical purposes like the expense of porting company web interfaces or specialized plugins or ActiveX controls to a different or newer browser. Also training people who have lost all ability to learn.

With zsnes it's more people being spergy.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Ugh, I still don't see why people prefer Zsnes over Snes9x when it has a better looking GUI and LLE audio. It's like IE 6.
ZSNES has the better looking GUI. And I don't think LLE means what you think it means.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Ugh, I still don't see why people prefer Zsnes over Snes9x when it has a better looking GUI and LLE audio. It's like IE 6.
ZSNES has the better looking GUI. And I don't think LLE means what you think it means.

Oh, I'm so sorry, my mistake, I meant to say cycle-accurate audio emulation and not "LLE". What would you call it then? LLE, low-level emulation. What's so damned wrong with that terminology? I still stand by the fact that the S-SMP emulation in Zsnes sucks balls, better looking GUI be damned. The DSP-1, S-DD1, Cx4, SA-1, Super FX emulation is also effed up too, so... sorry, but Snes9x has better, far more accurate emulation. How should have I said it then?

This just in, mixing the terms "cycle-accuracy" and "low-level emulation" is now grounds for calling others out :lol:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

LLE does not mean accurate.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:LLE does not mean accurate.
Okay, so I was wrong and I admit I got those two confused; I'm not afraid to admit it. If not LLE, then is Snes9x's sound considered cycle-accurate? Take for instance the Lavos Scream, only this and Bsnes get it right, and they sound exactly the same. I can't tell the difference between a real Snes and Snes9x. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both use the same S-SMP core? What is it about its sound emulation that makes it sound practically the same as real hardware? Care to explain why Zsnes sounds like crap when compared?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ZSNES' sound emulation is pretty outdated, and comes from a time when the sound module was very poorly understood. SNES9x uses a much newer, and very comprehensive, emulation.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:ZSNES' sound emulation is pretty outdated, and comes from a time when the sound module was very poorly understood. SNES9x uses a much newer, and very comprehensive, emulation.
Well, that would explain it :mrgreen: Now I know for sure. I sincerely hope one day Zsnes uses more modern sound emulation, but I've given up hope on ever seeing a new version, esp. after what, seven years since 1.51...? 8) Thanks for the explanation :mrgreen: