WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by Agozer »

Cave SH-3 shooters. Mushihime-sama Futari Black Label is awesome.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Enjoy your magenta.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Ni no Kuni, in the postgame. While I hadn't bothered counting how many gaps there were in the journal, there are a LOT more postgame sidequests than I ever expected - and they're far more complex than the maingame quests, as well. I'm quite pleasantly surprised.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I have this one cousin on Facebook who perpetually invites me to play Candy Crush Saga at all hours of the night. The only reason I don't notice them 90% of the time is because I have Facebook email notifications for that sort of shit turned off.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Monster Rancher 2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Pokémon X
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

[rant]I think those crappy phone games do a good enough job of mocking themselves quality-wise. Unfortunately, lots of people have taken the bait, gotten addicted to shit like Candy Crush & are spending shit tons of money on that garbage.[/rant]
Noxious Ninja wrote:The microtransactions are absolutely optional, and frankly, mostly useless. All you can do is buy SP, which gives you extra turns in battle. Maybe that would be useful on hard, or if you're fighting the bare minimum number of battles or something, but I haven't felt any need for it. You can collect a couple of SP a day just leaving the game in sleep mode, and I haven't even used those.

The combat, fortunately, hasn't been dumbed down like so many games these days. In true JRPG fashion, you need to spend a few hours here and there grinding to stay ahead of the difficulty curve. However, the Abilink feature provides a cheat of sorts. Friends (including random people you come across through StreetPass or the game's Net Friends feature) can share moves which you are then able to copy on a limited basis. There's no level requirement to use these, so you could borrow, say, a level 50 player's power even if you're at level 10.

I've only used this during a couple of the harder boss battles. Most of the "friends" I have are randoms who have shared low-level moves, so it's not super useful. However, if you have a bunch of high level friends, I imagine it could get really over powered.
Good to know, and thanks for replying. The grind can be part of the fun, especially if the battle system is good. I don't own a 3DS but if I buy one, BD is definitely a game that has me interested. Isn't it kinda FF5-like with its job system? Sorry if I'm overwhelming you with questions, but is the story good so far? I mostly play JRPGs for the characters, story & music/general atmosphere. The battle system has to be good enough to make me wanna play more. Based on YT videos, it looks like a classic turn-based game on the surface but I'd have to play it to really get a feel for it.

If I do buy it, I'll go 100% solo without any microtransactions. MTAs are for suckers.

kode54: Only way I'd ever play that garbage is if someone paid me a few hundred bucks an hour to play it, and even that's pushing it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Earth Defense Force 2025.
Best game in this thread forevermore, and if you want to dispute this, you better bring evidence of a dismembered giant ant being launched into low Earth orbit by a shotgun. A plasma shotgun. Fired by a chick with a jetpack.

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

adventure_of_link wrote:Monster Rancher 2
Recently beat Monster Rancher 2 (and by beat I mean going through the main "story" of raising a monster through the major 4 and getting master's rank, assuming one could call THAT a story), so...

I recently got Wine to work on my Mac, so I've been tinkering with UT99 and GTA3 (PC) to get them to go. Only problems I have are:

* UT99: Screen flickers if I use the direct 3D mode. Software rendering, no flicker, but the shield belt animation doesn't display correctly. GlideFX works, no flickering, but shield belt doesn't display AT ALL.
* GTA3 (PC): The intro movies won't play the video, but the audio tracks work fine. Additionally there's times at random where it'll stick for a few seconds but come out of it. Other than that it's playable. And of course there's the bit where if you get wasted or busted during a mission you don't immediately get the chance to restart the mission like you can on the Android port tho :x

And i've been tackling some more GTA4 and Pokémon X. It's still amazing how my PS3 collects dust unless I'm playing GTA.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: It's still amazing how my PS3 collects dust unless I'm playing GTA.
Feed it EDF2025. You can kill a nest of spiders with naught but a laser chainsaw and a jetpack, then take a lightning crossbow as your spoils of war.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: It's still amazing how my PS3 collects dust unless I'm playing GTA.
Feed it EDF2025. You can kill a nest of spiders with naught but a laser chainsaw and a jetpack, then take a lightning crossbow as your spoils of war.
Wait, why would alien spiders leave lightning crossbows around ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Just finished BD despite having had it since the European launch... yeah I'm kinda slow, also the latter parts were kind of a slog (if you finished it you know why - and this is coming from someone who LIKED the Temple of the Ocean King in Zelda PH, and will defend it to the death. Seriously, come at me bro.)

I didn't like the dungeons at all. They all felt the same. Every single one of them. It's all just square floors with the same hallways and chests, even the places that are supposed to be like a forest or somesuch. After I'd been through 3 of them I dreaded having to go through another because I knew what was coming: absolutely Zero surprises.

And what's with the towns and that thing where you just press A in front of a door and buy shit from there instead of actually being able to go inside buildings? It remains a mystery to me why ANYONE ever thinks that's fun. I realize it's easier on the developers, yeah doing a halfass job is always easier, no argument there.

The SP, yeah you can ignore it. But can we stop for a moment to appreciate how HOLY FUCKING SHIT RIDICULOUS it is? It's HALF a euro for 3 extra character actions. That's not 3 turns for the party, just 3 single character moves (or less if you use any moves that cost BP). So let's say you do a typical turn where everyone braves 4 times, that's 16 character moves. That's more than FIVE GODDAMN EUROS FOR A TURN.

Seriously, it seems everyone is silent on this. It's baffling. Maybe nobody ever clicked through to the shop screen to be able to see the price? I think it needs some more attention, just out of principle.

Anyway, other than those things I obviously liked the game, having sunk over a hundred hours into it. For various reasons. Mrgrgr!
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Monster Rancher 2
Recently beat Monster Rancher 2 (and by beat I mean going through the main "story" of raising a monster through the major 4 and getting master's rank, assuming one could call THAT a story), so...
Well, that's something to accomplish, at least.
adventure_of_link wrote:I recently got Wine to work on my Mac, so I've been tinkering with UT99 and GTA3 (PC) to get them to go.
Oh boy, wine. I would advise using Wineskin to bottle things up. Maybe peek into Crossover occasionally to see what game specific hacks they throw out.

There's always Cider, too, which is sort of based on wine. In fact...
adventure_of_link wrote:* UT99: Screen flickers if I use the direct 3D mode. Software rendering, no flicker, but the shield belt animation doesn't display correctly. GlideFX works, no flickering, but shield belt doesn't display AT ALL.
Tried these? Beware of :filez: though.
adventure_of_link wrote:* GTA3 (PC): The intro movies won't play the video, but the audio tracks work fine. Additionally there's times at random where it'll stick for a few seconds but come out of it. Other than that it's playable. And of course there's the bit where if you get wasted or busted during a mission you don't immediately get the chance to restart the mission like you can on the Android port tho :x
Well, for $9.99, you can buy it on Steam, and that version is SteamPlay for PC and Mac, so you get the official Cider port for free. I'm pretty sure they make sure those work properly out of the box, or at least listen to bug reports.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Activity is low here because it's high elsewhere.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

aceofkings wrote: What are you thinking about PC vs Console war? Because for me PC always win.
That platform wars are stupid. And that you need to discover the "new thread" button instead of posting your random thoughts in whatever random thread you stumble into. Threads can go off-topic, but there needs to be some organic drift, not just wandering into a discussion and throwing out a non-sequitur.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Titanfall and Diablo 3 have been taking up my time lately. I should make time again for FFVIII, as I also recently got it (again). That would finally make room for the FFX remaster. I'll finally get to try X-2, and see what all the International version stuff is about.

Throw in finishing Ni No Kuni, and I'm busy for a good while.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
odditude

Post by odditude »

just started FFX remaster myself.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

catching up big time on Pokémon X...

and been playing that FF5 port for Android. Modernized graphics but SNES-era sounds and music :)
NSRT here.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Been awhile, I know... *sigh* just kinda forgot about this place for awhile.

Anyway, since I got the new computer built I've been playing gta4, south park: stick of truth, paper mario, darkstone, Unreal Tournament GotYE and 2004, and Final Fantasy 9.
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Got myself a PlayStation 4, so Killzone: Shadow Fall and MGSV: Ground Zeroes it is.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
odditude

Post by odditude »

still working on FFX remaster when i get the time.

main story is done up to the point of no return. all monster arena bosses dead except for the final one, and one of the dark aeons is dead. grid's built for 255 of all but luck. need to dodge lightning and finish blitzball (14 more games), then i'll start on the slaughterfest to get moar lucky.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

up all night to get lucky

Still playing Diablo III, and still playing FFX HD Remaster. Just got Shiva.

Titanfall dropped off the radar a bit, none of my friends picked it up, or picked it up on different platforms. Just got The Last of Us (PS3), so I'll be giving that a spin this weekend.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
odditude

Post by odditude »

i'm NOT playing dq7 on 3ds, because squeenix hasn't localized the damn game. screw economic realities, i want my dq!

speaking of which, currently playing the original nes dw on my phone (yay, double-speed grinding!). i've been carrying the princess around for ages, and just got erdrick's sword. i figure i'll keep carrying her until i've levelled-up to my satisfaction and then let her watch me slaughter the dragonlord.

i'm incredibly late to the party on this one, but castlevania HD is quite entertaining for what it is. single-playing four controllers to maximize lootage is amusing, and drew snarky comments from the gf about playing with myself.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Trying to survive in Alien: Isolation.

Failing... so much failing. This game is so mentally exhausting.
mayalew

Post by mayalew »

I'm playing Call of Duty and The Walking Dead
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

I've been playing a lot of Halo multiplayer lately on gamespy network, and Final Fantasy 6 Expert edition with my friend online. Ys V and Rogue Galaxy on PCSX2.