ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Silensho
Eternal Witness

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Silensho »

I'll be pretty excited to see the new version, when available.
What?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The zsnes 1.51 browser exploit roms have been released.

http://media.smwcentral.net/Alcaro/zsnes/

Oh, the humanity!
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Oh, the huge manatee!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Also, when does the security patch version come out?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Looking at another week to get everything together.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

It's gladdening to see progress for Zsnes :D
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I sent a SNES into a lab for decapping and dissection learned some nice things from it, most already known but some new things were discovered and those changes will make it into ZSNES 2.0. Will write up a doc later with the findings but it was an interesting experiment.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:I sent a SNES into a lab for decapping and dissection learned some nice things from it, most already known but some new things were discovered and those changes will make it into ZSNES 2.0. Will write up a doc later with the findings but it was an interesting experiment.
Sweet! The more documentation we have on Snes hardware the better :mrgreen:
epman6
Rookie

Post by epman6 »

any progress with either zsnes 1.52 or 2.0, pagefault? haven't heard from you for almost a month.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Looking at this weekend for 1.53. Some further testing for Windows needed then we are ready to go for release.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:Looking at this weekend for 1.53. Some further testing for Windows needed then we are ready to go for release.
Nice! I can't wait to see it! :mrgreen:
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Some people in the community have decided to be complete asshats and send me some kind of insulting email. I get it guys ZSNES is old and has problems but if it wasn't for ZSNES you wouldn't have whatever exists right now. It was made with what was available at the time which was basically nothing. Anyway to those people you, you know where you can shove it. This is a maintenance release and 2.0 is still being developed on our own time. We don't owe you anything. It's sad that that people resort to this kind of thing these days.
Watering ur plants.
OxLa

Post by OxLa »

I kind of understand both sides :roll:

From your perspective, it seems like no on appreciates your work at github.

From an end-user's perspective, it seems that you "talk" a lot about exciting things but later, you appear to be lazy.

Remember those ipher release days? now those were the kind of days where "progress" and "contribution" was visible to end-users (probably gave them chance to test nightly builds and report here). Right now, it all looks like a "one man show" to them.

IMHO, no matter how many perfect builds you release, they won't be satisfied however, if you make nightly releases, they will slowly appreciate the "final build". Back in the old days, Bill Gates was releasing Windows every year, some releases got them negative feeds but eventually some became greatest. Their disaster was Vista (which was released after many years instead of 1 year cycle) likewise, I don't expect anyone to be satisfied with your surprise "final" release. :wink:
OxLa
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

OxLa wrote:Back in the old days, Bill Gates was releasing Windows every year
When was this?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

OxLa wrote:I kind of understand both sides :roll:

From your perspective, it seems like no on appreciates your work at github.

From an end-user's perspective, it seems that you "talk" a lot about exciting things but later, you appear to be lazy.

Remember those ipher release days? now those were the kind of days where "progress" and "contribution" was visible to end-users (probably gave them chance to test nightly builds and report here). Right now, it all looks like a "one man show" to them.

IMHO, no matter how many perfect builds you release, they won't be satisfied however, if you make nightly releases, they will slowly appreciate the "final build". Back in the old days, Bill Gates was releasing Windows every year, some releases got them negative feeds but eventually some became greatest. Their disaster was Vista (which was released after many years instead of 1 year cycle) likewise, I don't expect anyone to be satisfied with your surprise "final" release. :wink:
This is all unpaid work, he doesn't owe you or anyone anything. Grow up and stop complaining about not getting your free videogames fast enough.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:Some people in the community have decided to be complete asshats and send me some kind of insulting email. I get it guys ZSNES is old and has problems but if it wasn't for ZSNES you wouldn't have whatever exists right now. It was made with what was available at the time which was basically nothing. Anyway to those people you, you know where you can shove it. This is a maintenance release and 2.0 is still being developed on our own time. We don't owe you anything. It's sad that that people resort to this kind of thing these days.
Yeah, it's annoying when people are douche waffles and decide to be asshats at the same time, it sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Keep it up, man, and know that many support you in this endeavor, as I for one can't wait :mrgreen:
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

It's one thing to fuck around and give you a hard time for being slow but anyone who is seriously bashing you and sending mean spirited emails needs to fuck off because like blackmyst said, it's a free emulator and the devs aren't getting paid shit which means they have to juggle jobs/family life and all that shit with development. I can't wait to test it whenever it does come out but I'd much rather you guys take a long ass time and polish the program up as much as possible.

For the people flaming these dudes, you do realize BSNES and 9x exist right? If you don't like old ZSNES there are alternatives. Then again, they're probably just trolls whoring for attention.
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

Sorry to hear about that Pagefault. That's the kind of people society is raising now, with all the "had me outs" the government gives and all. Take from the struggling and give to the worthless lazy. Then the worthless lazy feel they are entitled to whatever they want. Its very aggravating. Granted, I don't have something like zsnes to offer, but I do have skills, and when I feel like taking time for myself or my family instead of helping the more fortunate than me, but lazy, I become the bad guy.

Please don't let this discourage you though. In all truth, if everyone that supports you were to send you an email of encouragement you would probably find that even more aggravating because your inbox would be so flooded. :wink: You have more support than you may realize. Its just.... The stupid are so loud and annoying they tend to obscure the reality.

Anyways, I'm rambling now, and am half asleep, so I have probably typed something I didn't mean to and am going to insult someone, so I'm singing off for now.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

More likely just a kid who will grow out of it or a developmentally delayed adult than anything like a specifically lazy person or anythign like that. No need to make up bullshit. :p

Anyway, yeah, this stuff happens to people with some kind of exposure all the time. It's just part of the whole thing. It sucks that it happens of course, and it would be nice if it didn't, but we all know about phil fish and various other stories of people who got trolled. Best to just shrug it off and don't acknowledge it, and keep a positive perspective. Zsnes is still hugely popular and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy the new version. Also, do it because you enjoy it. If you don't find it fun or interesting then it's no big deal, there's alternatives. Don't feel like you're obligated, but don't let the lamers get you down. :p
Last edited by paulguy on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

WHERE AM MY ZSNES (FYI, I am really really dumb) U AM TEH SUX
SNES X9 IZ TEH SUK IT CANT EVEN RUN MARIO WORLD HAX RITE
BZNES TAKEZ A SUPERCUMPUTER LOL
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Oh Gil, you silly, silly douche.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:WHERE AM MY ZSNES (FYI, I am really really dumb) U AM TEH SUX
SNES X9 IZ TEH SUK IT CANT EVEN RUN MARIO WORLD HAX RITE
BZNES TAKEZ A SUPERCUMPUTER LOL
This sums it up pretty well, actually. Oh my favorite:

SNES9X CANT RUNN MAI GAEMZ AND ZSNES SUXX BECAUSE I HAS A PENTIUM III AND WINDOWS 98!!1!1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, man, keep it up, don't let those pinheads discourage ya.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

having some issues with the sound, right now so would like to try to get that right before release.
Watering ur plants.
Vitor Vilela

Post by Vitor Vilela »

I'm been watching this thread for a while looking on how ZSNES 2.0 is going. I'm pretty happy that you guys are still developing this and I hope that new ZSNES version be fast and accurate enough for everyone's tastes.

For who don't know, I'm more known on SMW Central for doing a patch that activates the SA-1 chip into the game and I got a bit of SA-1 experience with all studies I done on past years and many tests and issues I found from every emulator since when.

I always worried about SA-1 compatibility with ZSNES since everyone knows, ZSNES is the most popular emulator and some people didn't like the fact that my patch always had some weird issues with ZSNES, which is also the main reason I'm been hoping for a new version so far.

Since you didn't post much specific about SA-1, I neither know how is the development so far nor if your initial version will ever support it. But just to be sure, I would like to you check if your current SA-1 emulation gives the correct speeds (or something close) since past ZSNES versions used to emulate SA-1 40% to 50% slower than it was supposed to. I have coded a homebrew ROM that test various situations and of course it measures the supposed full speed. Here it is. For reference, here is what real hardware gets and here is what ZSNES 1.51 gets. As you can see, ZSNES currently gives much slower speeds and the ROM crashes on the BW-RAM test so hence why it's incomplete. While bus conflicting speeds would be hard to emulate (someone even mentioned here once that it would need a 10 GHz CPU to emulate it properly), if you manage to get around 10 MHz on all tests with exception of BW-RAM (where it should be around 6 MHz), it will be very good.

Either way, I hope you have success on this new ZSNES and please ignore these bastards that only wants to bring you down and your valuable motivation.

mod edit: in ur post, fixin ur links
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:having some issues with the sound, right now so would like to try to get that right before release.
It happens, take your time :)