could vsnes be integrated into snes9x or Zsnes?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Player1
Hazed

could vsnes be integrated into snes9x or Zsnes?

Post by Player1 »

I just found this freeware tool, it contains:

The preview window shows you the picture that is included in the savestate file.
The memory viewer allows you to view the content of the video RAM (VRAM), the work RAM (WRAM) and the cartridge using the colors selected in the palette viewer.
The scene viewer shows you the current screen of the SNES and the parts it consists of, ie. the four backgrounds (plus the mode7 tilemap) and the sprites.
The hex viewer shows the content of the work RAM or the cartridge as bytes and as characters.
The list editor allows you to edit the values in the main list.
The SPC viewer shows you the info of a SPC file.

Its freeware, and I wanted to ask, if it could be integrated into Snes9x. It would be very interesting for rom hackers also, and you can extract sprites with it. please give it a try. I would also like to know how hard it would be.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Fairly hard I'd say. It was written in Delphi and was meant to be a stand alone save state viewing program. I wouldn't think that would mix well into an emulator without a good deal of modification.

I would agree that many of the concepts in VSNES would be great to add to our current emulators, however

This program was made by fellow board resident Illegal Eagle. If he pops on here, I'm sure he will comment as well.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Well putting the code into ZSNES might be a bit tricky but what might be possible is a plugin based system so external applications could read the variables inside ZSNES, that way applications like VSNES could run in realtime. Any developers have any thoughts about this?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Wouldn't the applications have to be rewritten as DLLs?

I searched a bit, and found...
- GlobalAlloc() and GlobalLock()
- dynamic data exchange management library
- shared memory
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I like the sound of that. That could make for some intersting possibilities. One thing I would like to see come out of it though is a debugger.

The problem is controlling ZSNES externally. If I or anyone else were to write a nice debugging interface, there's no way to step through each instruction and/or other similar types of things because there is no control of ZSNES. Maybe a more advanced plugin system could be created to handle such things?
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

Would it be easier to integrate the code of vsnes in Snes9x? I think I heard something that the GUI is written in delphi. Maybe a developer could rewrite it from scratch with a suitable programming language... just think about it what would be the best.

It would be good to hear if it is on the to to list, no matter if for the next version or version Zsnes 2.0
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

The Zsnes GUI is primarily ASM.
Everything I say is a lie.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Oblivion wrote:The Zsnes GUI is primarily ASM.
Now, but that might start changing soon.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Yeah, but for now, the statement holds true.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

No it wouldn't have to be a DLL file. I could set aside some shared memory that could be accessed by other applications perhaps. Not sure if this is possible in windows though. I will have to look into it.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

pagefault, if your on it, coult you have a look if that could be done for NSRT too? for example if a ROM is interleaved it could be automatically fixed?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

And butter my toasts twice with that.
What's with all the lazy people lately ? Why not ask for REAS while you're at it ?
Forget it, you must already be using frontends in that regard.

Geeze, they are stand-alone, free and easy to use. Why would you ask to merge three apps that have completely different purposes into one just so you only double-click once on an icon ?
If laziness (sloth, even) was an engine you'd already be close to the next galaxy.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

sorry, I love to have all in one... but I make just suggestions here i don't demand anything. Either you take it or just say no, there is no need to flame me.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

This reminds me, I haven't gotten a more recent version of vSNES in a while. Oh well.