ZSNES on MenuetOS?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

ZSNES on MenuetOS?

Post by DeleteMyAccountPlease »

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

"Solid-state instant boot" generally implies that the device does not use an x86-compatible CPU. Unless the operating system or CPU perfectly interprets low-level x86 instructions, you won't see ZSNES running on it.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

The standard issue of "Zsnes is largely x86 ASM" is a rather large one.
Everything I say is a lie.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

If you want to port ZSNES to MinuetOS, be our guest. The devteam has more important things to do than to port to other x86-based systems.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

To be clear, ZSNES is never "ported", only modified and reassembled.
DJSkelo wrote:If it wasn't clear (which seems likely by the two previous responses) -- this OS runs on x86 based PCs. It is just an OS...not a device in-and-of itself. The OS is just much smaller...which is why I have such an interest in using it. Please visit the linked website before responding with general responses if you don't know anything about anything about anything about anything.
I never saw the link.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

If you have full SDL support on your OS and it uses an x86 CPU, compiling and running ZSNES on it shouldn't be a problem.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Oblivion wrote:The standard issue of "Zsnes is largely x86 ASM" is a rather large one.
Heh, unnecessary.
Vareni Stargazer wrote:If you want to port ZSNES to MinuetOS, be our guest. The devteam has more important things to do than to port to other x86-based systems.
Pipe down, nerd. He didn't even ask for a port.

------

Hold on... wait... OH COOL!. (I'm sure you'd know of this by now)

This could lead to interesting results, so I hope it goes somewhere.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

if doom can run on this OS, then ZSNES has a fair chance of running on it.

the only issue is proper video driver support.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

DJSkelo wrote:Oh, BTW -- I want to run ZSNES (full speed) on the MacOSX installation (double speed) I have running on my Dreamcast (MaCast). I swapped out the SH4 with dual P4's, underclocked them to half the speed, and then doubled their speed. -- To whom shall I donate many dollars?

ZSNES will not run on non-x86 platforms. No amount of money will change that unless its a mainstream desktop chip from AMD or Intel, zsnes won't run on it.

unless you want to run an x86 emulator on top of zsnes.

The fact you made that statement suggests you really are new to programing in general.

However, snes9x runs on both platforms that you've mentioned.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathtok
Hazed

Post by deathtok »

DJSkelo... I gotta say that response was good...

funkyass... you forgot the winchip and cyrix!
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

DJSkelo wrote:Hmm...I suppose the sarcasm didn't come through with that. I thought the idea of the utter technical impossibility of my statement would make that clear (if the 'half the speed and then double it' wasn't enough.) For failing to notice, you win a hat! To which address shall I send it? The hat itself will be fashioned out of a vacated bird's nest and lots of your local currency. This thread has become a lesson into how little people here actually read into posts before answering....or maybe my posts just have such little interest that even skimming them is too much to do before firing off what you're trained to respond with. I hearby bequeath upon all of you MODERATOR STATUS!!!!!!!!
Here's a tip: we deal with idiots daily; there is no difference between sarcasm and stupidity on this board: either sarcastic replies aren't worthy of a reply or they just fail at being sarcastic, and come of as being unusally intellegent, demanding a response worthy of the inital thrust.

Cyrix, Transmeta, and Winchip really don't count.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

there is no difference between sarcasm and stupidity on this board
In that case, this quote is very sarcastic.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm not talking about running ZSNES on a console or anything...more like running it on a computer tailored just towards running ZSNES "invisibly" -- no waiting for Windows 98 or X server to boot.
Since no one else covered this, and I have experience writing boot-level code:
To get ZSNES to run by itself, it would first need to implement an entire filesystem (whether it be to read FAT/NTFS/EXT2/3FS,etc. or its own implementation) to access media, then video (it could default on VESA2, which ATI and nVidia are pretty good at; or it would need hundreds of video card drivers like xfree86), then sound (which has no real standards, hundreds of drivers or no sound), some typical memory management / keyboard / mouse handlers, and if you want to support USB stuff, an entire USB stack (very complicated), and other minor details.
No one sane would go through all this trouble. Your best bet is just making a DOS boot disk (or CDROM) and sticking ZSNES DOS on that.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

Let's summarize this...

o You say you didn't come here looking for a port.
o Given a response of the possibility of a port, you continued making filler posts, mostly containing rambling theory.
o You've managed to insult just about everyone who responded to you.

A fairly simple question, then:

Since you don't seem to have made hardly any progress towards actually producing the hardware and software involving in getting ZSNES on this MenuetOS going, are you expecting this to evolve on its own?

Unless someone comes along and takes serious interest in your idea, I'm sorry to say it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

well, if all this talk was so you could better simulate a "true SNES" experience, i think that there are other, better alternatives than a fast-booting obscure OS with no ZSNES port.

TV-out, for one. I know you want the turning on of the computer to be like the turning on of your SNES, but, meh. you'd still have to select a ROM before you played, wouldn't you? that's not very SNES-like. Unless you had ZSNES in the startup group (Windows thing) with a tag that pre-loaded a ROM, that would be authentic. Except for the minute or so boot period. But we're emulating here. Sacrifices need to be made. And then there's the issue of wanting to play another game. you could just go into the menu and pick another ROM, but that's not staying true. you'd have to quit out, change the tag, log out, and log back in for that reboot-to-a-new-game-feel.

Or, this option is a little harder, you could get a SNES. i'm pretty sure e-bay has a ton, and that a ton of those come with games. and they don't come with the games you want, you could buy those too. this option obviously costs a lot more money, but nothing's more authentic than the real thing. But maybe we don't want to buy all those games because they do charge up the butt for one good cartridge. it appears that you would have enough knowlege to throw together a flash cartridge. build one of those, toss your old favorites onto it, and there you go.

and since it's an authentic experience you're going for, i assume that you have one of those converters so you can use your SNES controller on the PC? Because, let's be honest, it doesn't matter how authentic the booting may seem if you're not even using a real controller.

I'm going to apologize in advance for my lack of technical knowledge and my non-developer status, so i hope that you take that in mind before retaliating ever-so-harshly to me. Everyone knows that burning is an art, and that they're fun to read, but i'll be getting burned by someone who i've never met, and will never see. it's like honking at someone you're mad at, or giving them the bird. what does it accomplish? honestly, do you think that person cares what you think about them? Letting someone know that they're not answering your question the way you need it answered is one thing, but about half of each of those posts was just completely un-needed.

don't think of that last paragraph as a burn, just a heads-up.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
DeleteMyAccountPlease
Rookie

gone
Last edited by DeleteMyAccountPlease on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.