Running ZSNES On Android

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

joe_devore
Regular

Re: Running ZSNES On Android

Post by joe_devore »

nintendo_nerd wrote: Or use this http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/remov ... windows-7/ and remove the associated program with the file types. It doesn't do that by default, it was something you did on your end.
nope, all I did was start it up once and a while... when I found an update from v1.54 to v1.54.1 was the last time I started up SNES9X.. I didn't do anything else...
as for that method of associating/removing File.. its not a method I use.. I prefer Types
http://ystr.github.io/apps/types/
thx anyway...
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
GPU: nVidia/EVGA RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Favorite Emulators:
PS2(x64): PCSX2 (Downloads)
SNES : ZSNES
N64 : Project64

ZSNES:
v1.51 (FuSoYa's 8MB fix R2)(Compiled Myself)
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I think it's still affecting you because you're running Windows XP, or running Windows 7 with UAC disabled.

Yes, this feature should be *changed* to support the Windows 7+ method of handling things, which is to register the file types with the *intent* to support them, but they won't associate until the user actually tries to open one of the relevant file types, which will prompt them with a list of supporting applications, with the option to always associate, or always ask.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

kode54 wrote:I think it's still affecting you because you're running Windows XP, or running Windows 7 with UAC disabled.

Yes, this feature should be *changed* to support the Windows 7+ method of handling things, which is to register the file types with the *intent* to support them, but they won't associate until the user actually tries to open one of the relevant file types, which will prompt them with a list of supporting applications, with the option to always associate, or always ask.
lol I'm running Windows 7( it says right in my signature loi ;) )
....hmm.... I don't recall if ever prompting me to associate, only just automatically opened SNES9X...
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Hmm, I don't remember if it uses user associations or global associations. I know the latter requires running the application as administrator, or disabling UAC.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Use this old reg file (http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/rem ... plorer.zip) that removes the file associations since they were working on removing the "feature" and this reg file was necessary since they didn't automate SNES9x to do it instead. A brief googling about the file associations issue turned this up, and if I remember correctly, when they made the version update that removed file associations, it was included. If this doesn't work, you did something outside of SNES9x's file association I assume.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

Truth Unknown wrote:Use this old reg file (http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/rem ... plorer.zip) that removes the file associations since they were working on removing the "feature" and this reg file was necessary since they didn't automate SNES9x to do it instead. A brief googling about the file associations issue turned this up, and if I remember correctly, when they made the version update that removed file associations, it was included. If this doesn't work, you did something outside of SNES9x's file association I assume.
thx for the reg file... I am used it as a guide to manually remove the reg entries because the reg file misses these entries..

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.extensions\OpenWithList\snes9x.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.extensions\OpenWithList\snes9x-x64.exe
these were also missed...

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Snes9x.Win32]
@="Snes9x ROM"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Snes9x.Win32\DefaultIcon]
@="snes9x-x64.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Snes9x.Win32\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Snes9x.Win32\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Snes9x.Win32\shell\open\command]
@="\"F:\\EmulatorsRoms\\SNES\\_Snes9x\\snes9x-x64.exe\" \"%L\""
and since I have only run the v1.54.1 version of the x64 build it is safe to assume the file type association function is still in SNES9X as noted by the above x64 entries :(

all done removing the SNES9X reg entries...
(PC Specs)

Favorite Emulators:

ZSNES:
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

That is how Windows 7 and up software registers its *INTENT* to open a file type. Usually, this does not take over a file type unless nothing else is associated with it.

On Windows 10, until an association has been confirmed by the user, it will pop up a dialog asking if the user wishes to open the document with the registered applications.

Foobar2000 has an external administrator elevated process that does the same thing for all of its supported file types on startup. Conflicting file types will always ask for confirmation first, with the option to always ask.