Dues abouts Dejap......

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I love that article. People should read Cidolfas' interview with the Square-Enix translator as well. It's probably on ffcompendium.com.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Nach wrote:I thought the only reason those games are famous is because Dejap translated them.

Or because Dejap seems to only aim for the hardest games possible to translate. Going out and finding some rare game with a crazy coproccessor and RE the thing like FEoEZ/SPC7110, just so you can play it, let alone translate it. Seriously, what are you people thinking? :P
Star Ocean and ToP had some nice coverage in an issue or two of Nintendo Power, which ranted and raved about them. Very few games got that. 8-) And of course the DQ stuff is by definition high-profile.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Tomato wrote:
DarkDragoon wrote:Perhaps they read Tomato's article about Ted Woosley and his localizations and finally decided to stop complaining about it.

...I wish...
Holy crap, I forgot all about that article. I really should maybe update it sometime, I'm actually a professional game translator (among other things) now so that should give me some more credibility. I wonder if he like ever Googled his own name and found that article :lol:
I really appreciated this fact you said many times:
IT WAS NOT TED WOOLSEY WHO CUT OUT THE SWEARING, SEX, DRUGS, ALCOHOL, AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF. IT WAS NINTENDO OF AMERICA. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.
I hope people feel more educated after that. :D
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

They probably couldn't understand what it meant. </50%sarcasm>
Everything I say is a lie.
Dead
Lurker

Post by Dead »

Tomato wrote:Um well I've been translating anime and that junk for almost 2 and a half years now and also I started doing games this last fall. I tell ya though, Woolsey did one heck of a job given his time constraints. I've had similar situations and nearly went crazy and almost decided to quit a few times :wink:
You say you started doing games this last fall. May I then ask you who/what you professionally translate for now?

Your BL translation is outstanding.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

http://clydemandelin.com has my resume but I can't list a lot of things until they get released so there's like 5 to 10 things that aren't on there yet.

I do miss ROM translating though - it's a lot more fun to translate something and see instant results than translate a text file and then see it get rewritten and have it not come out for a long time.

BTW, I cringe whenever I think about my BL translation now. I kept it way too close to the original when it could've been a lot better written :?
Dead
Lurker

Post by Dead »

Tomato wrote:BTW, I cringe whenever I think about my BL translation now. I kept it way too close to the original when it could've been a lot better written :?
Even so, it stands out from the vast chaotic landscape of fan translations. And professional ones...
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Tomato wrote:http://clydemandelin.com has my resume but I can't list a lot of things until they get released so there's like 5 to 10 things that aren't on there yet.

I do miss ROM translating though - it's a lot more fun to translate something and see instant results than translate a text file and then see it get rewritten and have it not come out for a long time.

BTW, I cringe whenever I think about my BL translation now. I kept it way too close to the original when it could've been a lot better written :?
Ironically, I was watching a forum topic complaining about Case Closed's translation like four months ago... Mostly bitching about the name changes and so on.

I have the funny feeling you weren't responsible for those changes though.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Nah, actually if you watch my subtitles on the DVDs the names are all the same as the original, so whatever.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Why am I not surprised. Ahahaha.