Game crashes when a savefile is present

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Drakiar

Game crashes when a savefile is present

Post by Drakiar »

Hello.

I am severely handicapped so playing on a real SNES is not working. I bought the Secret of Mana Remake but because Square Enix is a sadistic bunch. The Keyboard moves EVERY Char at once! And i can't use a Controller. So we had the idea to use ZSNES. We both have the exact same Version AND Rom. We opened ports, connected and played for hours. Was the most fun i had in Ages. We saved and went to bed. We started up today and upon loading the Rom the game freezes and crashes on the Client, no matter who Hosts.

We tried 1.42, 1.42n, 1.36 and snes9x.

As soon as we delete the .srm and .zst it loads fine! We tried using ONLY save states or ONLY game files(Ingame save) as ME Server or my friend. The only thing that works is ZSNES 1.36 with game file save, NO save state. But... 1.36 gets asynchro which 1.42 never did :(

Any way you can help us?
blackmyst
Zealot

Re: Game crashes when a savefile is present

Post by blackmyst »

Are you both using the exact same save state file? I think I remember something about needing to send over your exact save files to the other player before loading, but it's been over a decade so I might be wrong.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Drakiar

Post by Drakiar »

Well we started both with 0 saves. When you connect you can choose who saves, if host chooses local it switches to remote for Client. But we tried him sending his saves(we tried both, game+save states) to me via E-Mail. The weird Thing is, on 1.36 after starting the Rom(Secret of Mana btw) it freezes for like 4 seconds then starts. But 1.42 or 1.42n it freezes for 2-3 seconds then ONE of us gets Crash error(from Windows the Standard one).
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well I don't know what could be the problem then, sorry. Maybe someone else remembers, or you could do a search on these forums, I'm sure there must have been someone with the same problem as yours among all the netplay troubleshooting threads we've had here over the years.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Drakiar

Post by Drakiar »

I saw one thread about a guy trying to netplay with a friend and they Crash when loading the Rom. But he didn't say it was because of the savegame, or he didn't know. And there is no solution.

Maybe a dev has an idea? Because netplay works flawless. Connecting, loading, playing for hours. Then we quit and can never restart as long as there is a .zst or .srm file.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Not a dev, but netplay was always pretty hit-and-miss.
It worked flawlessly for some people, desynced rapidly and inevitably for some, and just exploded in some people's faces immediately.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads