So Apparently solar Roads might be a thing

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Re: So Apparently solar Roads might be a thing

Post by adventure_of_link »

Too bad that in order for this to go nationwide it'd be $56T -- about three and a half times of the current the national debt!!!

ALSO: SOLAR... FREAKING... ROADWAYS!!!!

Only problems I can see though are how well will that glass not slip? And what about weight... those big rigs do weigh quite a bit...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

hello I don't want to click any dumb links, can someone tell me what the benefit of this is supposed to have over just building regular manageable fucking solar parks?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Johan_H wrote:hello I don't want to click any dumb links, can someone tell me what the benefit of this is supposed to have over just building regular manageable fucking solar parks?
The sheer surface makes it both interesting (since it covers so much, it could power a lot) and impractical (too expensive since it would be the hugest solar 'park' ever, plus terrible maintenance issues).
adventure_of_link wrote:how well will that glass not slip? And what about weight... those big rigs do weigh quite a bit...
1- The initial bumpy design could have decent grip and water draining capabilities. A bigger issue is erosion quickly leading to no more bumps (maybe some years on small roads, couple months on expressways), and oily+dusty+wet glass being one of the shittiest surface you could ever drive onto.
2- The weight itself is less an issue than the dynamic distribution of it. If this system ever wants to prove itself, it'll have to take several real-life tests akin to a fully loaded 18-wheeler's emergency braking without a hitch, and a situation representative of cars speeding up and down rhythmically (think traffic jams stop'n'go) over several hours per day.

If it passes those, well... trash it anyway because noone will invest a country's whole budget into its roads when a cheaper alternative exists. It's not like asphalt is made of nucular fallout, lel. :p
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Johan_H wrote:hello I don't want to click any dumb links, can someone tell me what the benefit of this is supposed to have over just building regular manageable fucking solar parks?
The sheer surface makes it both interesting (since it covers so much, it could power a lot) and impractical (too expensive since it would be the hugest solar 'park' ever, plus terrible maintenance issues).
adventure_of_link wrote:how well will that glass not slip? And what about weight... those big rigs do weigh quite a bit...
1- The initial bumpy design could have decent grip and water draining capabilities. A bigger issue is erosion quickly leading to no more bumps (maybe some years on small roads, couple months on expressways), and oily+dusty+wet glass being one of the shittiest surface you could ever drive onto.
2- The weight itself is less an issue than the dynamic distribution of it. If this system ever wants to prove itself, it'll have to take several real-life tests akin to a fully loaded 18-wheeler's emergency braking without a hitch, and a situation representative of cars speeding up and down rhythmically (think traffic jams stop'n'go) over several hours per day.

If it passes those, well... trash it anyway because noone will invest a country's whole budget into its roads when a cheaper alternative exists. It's not like asphalt is made of nucular fallout, lel. :p
I think you missed the bigger point, grinvader.

Yes, there are some very real obstacles, but on the other hand, how can you argue with such a detailed and nuanced plan as "SOLAR FREAKIN' ROADWAYS!"?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

There is one key flaw, the lack of direct toaster support. I'm talking about having toasted bagels whenever I want right on the road. Especially on those stop-go traffic days when you're dying to make it to the office kitchen to try out the new poppy seed bagels that the grocery store finally got in but you didn't have enough time to do it at home.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Truth Unknown wrote:There is one key flaw, the lack of direct toaster support. I'm talking about having toasted bagels whenever I want right on the road. Especially on those stop-go traffic days when you're dying to make it to the office kitchen to try out the new poppy seed bagels that the grocery store finally got in but you didn't have enough time to do it at home.
For real. Especially since legacy asphalt roads have done this for YEARS, even if it's only seasonal.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:how can you argue with such a detailed and nuanced plan as "SOLAR FREAKIN' ROADWAYS!"?
I counter this with my mighty solar freaking p◯n◯s.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:If it passes those, well... trash it anyway because noone will invest a country's whole budget into its roads when a cheaper alternative exists.
try over three and a half times the US National Debt... as/is they raised about $1.5M right? That's enough to hire their enginnering team IIRC, but for this to go nationwide they need over $56T..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

well closer to 2 mil now
class:Trolololo
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i remain intrigued and cautiously optimistic.

the potential reduction in maintenance costs alone (not needing hundreds of manhours of labor to do temporary lane painting in construction areas, for instance) has my attention.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

I think they need to scrap the LED idea though the Light pollution would be terrible and being in the sun all the time would kill their life expectancy.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:i remain intrigued and cautiously optimistic.

the potential reduction in maintenance costs alone (not needing hundreds of manhours of labor to do temporary lane painting in construction areas, for instance) has my attention.
Temporary lane painting? Is that what they do in places too poor to afford traffic cones?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Temporary lane painting? Is that what they do in places too poor to afford traffic cones?
it's what they do when there's a project which takes two weeks or months instead of two hours.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

it's what they do when there's a project which takes two weeks or months instead of two hours.
Not here. :P
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Nor here. Here, they just set up cones and ribbons between them, and have dedicated workers on each end of the single lane, directing traffic with Slow/Stop signs.
odditude

Post by odditude »

try doing that on I-95 or the Schuylkill and you'd end up with a lot of roadkill construction workers.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:try doing that on I-95 or the Schuylkill and you'd end up with a lot of roadkill construction workers.
Works on 30 and 635.
And how does paint stop people but cones won't?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

i was replying to kode when i talked about roadkill.

cones don't work that well when you're shifting all of the lanes of traffic, not just shutting down one lane. around here, it's usually a new paint job + jersey barriers on the side being worked on.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cones work here.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Oh, you meant expressways. In that case, many of ours are pretty much permanently divided by jersey barriers.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEpGC4j7Sxc

SOLAR FRICKIN' ROADS... are just as a terrible idea as we predicted in this thread five years ago.

As a high point: A chinese roadway installation had one of the panels STOLEN just a few days after it was opened to traffic... except it was never stolen. They couldn't find the panel because it was shattered and ground into dust. As opposed to the rest of the panels, which are still present, but doing about fuck-all.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

whatthefuck
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gee, with an idea like this, what could possibly go wrong??
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Gee, with an idea like this, what could possibly go wrong??
Only the most predictable things(read as: everything)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads