SNES Emulators

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

SNES Emulators

Post by badinsults »

ZSNES has not been updated for over a decade, and I assume most people have moved on. However, if you are unaware, there have been many advancements in SNES emulation over the years, and highly accurate representations of the hardware exist in both software and FPGA form. This is not to disparage ZSNES, for it was the best choice for SNES emulation during its peak, and is still a good option for low end hardware.

If you want to try these out, here are some links:

SNES9x - SNES9x has been around for about as long as ZSNES. The last major release (1.6) was about two years ago, but development is still active. It is a good choice for mid-range computers.

BSNES - A highly accurate SNES emulator by Near. This emulator not only has high accuracy, but can also simulate certain notorious bugs in older emulators that were exploited in old hacks.

higan - Higan is a multi-system emulator by Near, of which the SNES is possibly in its most accurate state. It is focused on creating the most accurate representation of old systems, and therefore has a bit of a learning curve.

ares - Ares is basically the same as Higan, but has a more user friendly interface. It is being actively developed for.

SNES for MiSTer - The MiSTer is an open source FPGA hardware system. The SNES core is in an advanced, highly accurate state.

If anyone knows of other in-development emulators, post below and I will update this list.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: SNES Emulators

Post by grinvader »

badinsults wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 amIf anyone knows of other in-development emulators, post below and I will update this list.
Yeah, you could say that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Re: SNES Emulators

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Good to see the forums back, I'll be damned. Also yeah, Higan is the one I use now, since my CPU is no longer a potato lol.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson