ZSNES stops working in Ubuntu after changing resolution.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Thelibertinistic

ZSNES stops working in Ubuntu after changing resolution.

Post by Thelibertinistic »

I had installed the most recent version of ZSNES through the Software Center and everything was working until I upgraded my monitor and subsequently decided to raise the resolution of ZSNES. Immediately after I clicked "OK" in the setting menu ZSNES disappeared. It was gone from the list of programs at the bottom of the screen and I found myself staring at my desktop. Now, whenever I start the program the screen flashes and goes back to the desktop. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ZSNES to no avail. What should I do?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ZSNES stops working in Ubuntu after changing resolution.

Post by Deathlike2 »

Look for ~/.zsnes/zsnes.cfg and edit it with your preferred text editor and edit the section where resolutions are referred to.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Thelibertinistic

So, realistically that answer should do it but part of my problem is that I'm an /extremely/ green linux user and my inability to locate a cfg file was what got me to post this in the first place. Assuming I haven't done anything weird, where does ubuntu usually stash such things?

P.S. I tried just a straight up "Search for Files..." for the .cfg extension and turned nothing up. Or, well, I turned up 41 files, none of which were named zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator).cfg or anything suggestively similar.

Thanks again!
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The search functionality doesn't look in hidden folders. Go into your home folder and press CTRL-H. This will reveal all your hidden folders, including .zsnes.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Thelibertinistic

Thanks!

Also, did I actually type the wrong name of the emulator and get hit by a really catty auto-replace or did someone edit my post? Either way, I laughed.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Thelibertinistic wrote:Thanks!

Also, did I actually type the wrong name of the emulator and get hit by a really catty auto-replace or did someone edit my post? Either way, I laughed.
Yup, you got hit by a board filter.

just so ya know, ZSNES (FYI, I am really really dumb) (without the space) triggers zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I miss the Top Gear 3000 filter.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 am I miss the Top Gear 3000 filter.
I am now intrigued as to what that was for. Targeting brazilian users I presume?

Also, what's interesting is how this happens in search with adventure_of_link's post, when you type the unspaced misspelling:

the actual post when on the thread page, also has an additional filter that isn't applied when using the search box:

phpbb moment
:3
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cammygirl192 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:56 pm
I am now intrigued as to what that was for. Targeting brazilian users I presume?
As the person who instituted the filter... it is just that once people realized it wouldn't work, it somehow became the most popular game in the system's library and there were hundreds, nay, DOZENS of "Top Gear 3000 doesn't work" threads.
It got old, and I thought it would be funny.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:45 am
As the person who instituted the filter... it is just that once people realized it wouldn't work, it somehow became the most popular game in the system's library and there were hundreds, nay, DOZENS of "Top Gear 3000 doesn't work" threads.
Oh, you used to be an admin/mod here, presumably?
Heh I imagine - it at least shows up people who don't read stickies :P
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Cammygirl192 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:28 pm
Loooong time ago, I ruled the ZBoard with an iron fist! All trembled with terror before my might! The noobs lay awake at night in fear I would set their post count to a negative value!

Okay, I actually did set some postcounts to negative values.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:05 am
Cammygirl192 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:28 pm
Loooong time ago, I ruled the ZBoard with an iron fist! All trembled with terror before my might! The noobs lay awake at night in fear I would set their post count to a negative value!

Okay, I actually did set some postcounts to negative values.
I hate being so young, I wish I could have watched this unfold with my own eyes while it was happening :p