finishing Star Ocean

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nightcrawler wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Tomato wrote: It's not professional quality, but still plenty fun, right?
Nonsense. Compared to Breath of Fire 2, it's QUITE professional.
A 12 year old's Mario Brothers hack with mario's penis is more professional than that steaming pile of crap translaion for Breath of Fire 2!
Well, yes, but that's not the point. "Professional" translation covers a lot of ground.
I could say Star Ocean 2 and it would be just as valid.
MasterThief_Locke

Post by MasterThief_Locke »

:? There was no need for such rudeness i just wanted to know because i think english voices would be freaking awsome not like im complaining about it. It is a good translation and im happy i found it SO is a Great freakin game[/list][/code][/quote]
WebGraphics

Post by WebGraphics »

The Sage Of Time wrote:I'm curious..
How complete "is" the SO translation? I mean, what is there missing from it exactly?
I've been meaning to try out SO for a long time, but I never was clear on this.
I do however, get the impression for all intents and purposes it's a "complete" translation. Is that right?
I was one of the beta testers for SO. There are minor problems. Because there are so many combinations of characters it is hard, just looking at rom data, to tell what is going on. I remember seeing a couple text bloopers in the more unlikely char combinations.

Other than that the YES/NO dialogue was wacky and a few other things (color problems) that are utterly insignificant. If nothing was done the trans would still be a success imo.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

The SO translation is perfect
bringing Zsnes back
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

DarkBenny wrote:The SO translation is perfect
It's not actually perfect, but it's still certainly playable and enjoyable.

A PERFECT translation would include English voice acting with voices that sound like the part, good jokes that were translated well from the original Japanese, and a fix to any bugs in the original game itself, to start.

Basically, a perfect translation means fixing what's wrong with American and English localizations of most anime series. :)

(If they try marketing Naruto to children, I will deal out painful death. But that's neither here nor there.)
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

good jokes that were translated well from the original Japanese
That's an oxymoron. A joke is either good, or it's translated from Japanese. You can't have it both ways. 8p Seriously, jokes never translate from any language to any other language. If anyone wants to keep a joke he has to use a native one. If it fits with the conversation, that's an added bonus.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Yea seriously. In anime fansubs they put captions at the top of the screen trying to explain translated jokes. Sometimes I'll laugh but most of the time it just totally kills the joke. It's also hard when you have people that speak english from different areas in the world. The english/british might not get a joke that used an american refrence to replace a japanese joke or vise versa. It's pretty hard if you ask me.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Cidolfas wrote:
good jokes that were translated well from the original Japanese
That's an oxymoron. A joke is either good, or it's translated from Japanese. You can't have it both ways. 8p Seriously, jokes never translate from any language to any other language. If anyone wants to keep a joke he has to use a native one. If it fits with the conversation, that's an added bonus.
That's partly the point. Remember, the reason the translation can't be perfect is that nobody's perfect.

I'll settle for a well-translated joke or pun if it's still amusing, but we're usually better off with a native-based joke on a related subject.

Visual humor works well in that it trancends language, but it's rarely done and therefore won't help would-be game or anime translators.
Talikar

Post by Talikar »

I just want to point out how incredibly rude you all are. The question was just a question, acting like a 2 year old and complaining about it was really childish.

Also, I'll have to complain about something too since that seems to be the only thing you people do around here. Yes! I complain about the fact that you're all off-topic which could possibly be considered as "Spam".

Last I checked this topic wasn't about good/bad jokes, unless I read the topic title / first post wrong. Also, the question comes with the fact that the site says "2.0 will be out sometime next year", it was currently 2003 so it's obviously going to be questioned by some people. If you're all too childish to accept the questions, then, don't post at all and leave your rude comments out of topics.

We all love what dejap has done to the SO translation and appreciate it. We do not however appreciate it when people backstab us for asking questions. With that said I'll stop here, I'm fairly sure you will overlook my meaning and flame me/complain about WHATEVER you want to.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Try to find more than a few threads around here that stay on topic past the first page. Good luck.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Talikar wrote:I just want to point out how incredibly rude you all are. The question was just a question, acting like a 2 year old and complaining about it was really childish.
Oh... And what about the part where he is breaking the rules, asking when a translation if going to be finished?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Talikar wrote:stuff
This thread was doomed from the start. I just felt like adding in a useless post because I was bored.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Talikar wrote:I just want to point out how incredibly rude you all are. The question was just a question, acting like a 2 year old and complaining about it was really childish.
Read the rules or get the fuck off of this forum.

Do you have any concept of how annoying it is for people that work hard in their spare time on projects like SO, only to have some asshole come here and hassle them for the next release? It's a good rule, one that's second only to asking for ROM's.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

casualsax3 wrote:
Read the rules or get the fuck off of this forum.
...Actually, where the heck ARE the rules? The only list of rules I can find is the sticky that says "Don't ask for ROMs or translations." Which is related to, but doesn't quite cover this kind of thread.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You can't miss the rules when you enter the board from the Zsnes site. I'm not sure about DeJap's site though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I have http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/ bookmarked and memorized. I never come in by the rules page - ever.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Noxious Ninja wrote:I have http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/ bookmarked and memorized. I never come in by the rules page - ever.
Neither do I, but I've still read the rules.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Agozer wrote:You can't miss the rules when you enter the board from the Zsnes site. I'm not sure about DeJap's site though.
Nope, the forum rules are not shown if you come in from Dejap. Since the guy was asking about a translation, he probably hadn't seen the rules on the way in.

Therefore, we should put a rules sticky on the forum or switch the Dejap forum link to a rules page, which THEN leads to the forum.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

..or we can do what Snes9X did:
Dedicate a specific forum for the rules/FAQ's.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gigafreak wrote: Therefore, we should put a rules sticky on the forum or switch the Dejap forum link to a rules page, which THEN leads to the forum.
But very few people ever read those, unfortunately.
Last edited by Agozer on Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

adventure_of_link wrote:..or we can do what Snes9X did:
Dedicate a specific forum for the rules/FAQ's.
You know fully well that there are still people who come and ask for games at Snes9x forums, roughly one every five days.
Everything I say is a lie.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

You are right, Oblivion, but at least there would be something that says "ZSnes Board/Room rules, read here" on the main page of the board.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Agozer wrote:
Gigafreak wrote: Therefore, we should put a rules sticky on the forum or switch the Dejap forum link to a rules page, which THEN leads to the forum.
But very few people ever read those, unfortunately.
Yeah, but then they're there in an obvious place. If there's no obvious rules page, like in this case, we can't scold people who don't follow them.