high cpu usage

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

slashbot

high cpu usage

Post by slashbot »

so i read that post about how its normal for zsnes to use 99% of the cpu before a game is loaded, but mine seems to continue even while the game is playing. it seems to me that this is not normal, can someone tell me how much it ought to be using, and even possibly help me fix the problem, if there is one? it would be nice not to have to say super nintendo > my computer
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

I'd love to hear the answer to that one myself. :?:

EDIT: 8/11/04 : 4:20AM
Cannot tell on win98.
Last edited by joe_devore on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

It uses about 30-40% for me.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Post your comp specs please (at least the CPU).

In the GUI 100% usage is normal.
During emulation, cpu usage is directly linked to your cpu power and the amount of options you enabled (video filtering, sound filtering, and so on)

With a P4 1.8GHz, gaussian interpolation and hq3x, I eat around 20% of the cpu with the windows version, iirc.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
slashbot

Post by slashbot »

its a p4 2.4 ghz, 512 ram, only 32 mb of vram, but i think that should really be enough for snes emulation, right? i dont think ive changed the video options at all, so whatever are the defaults. i dont have sound enabled at all, would that help or hurt it?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

That should be far enough. Are you using the latest WIP ?

It is normal for version 1.36 to use 100% all the time.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
slashbot

Post by slashbot »

i had been using 1.36
i downloaded the 8/03 wip, windows version, from the link in the "newest version of zsnes, get it here" thread, and it still uses all of the cpu all the time
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Although your computer is fast (a little faster than mine, even :wink:), try out a super optimized build by ipher. I posted a link to it somewhere in this forum recently, so use the search engine to find it (Last time I checked it's not available at ipher's site). ;)

EDIT: Never mind, I found the link :): http://www.emufanatics.com/emulators.ph ... nfo&id=143
slashbot

Post by slashbot »

i tried all those different versions on that site and it doesnt make a difference. does anyone know what could possibly cause it to eat that much cpu?
a problem with my comp, perhaps, instead of anything wrong with the program itself?
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I believe I use 100% with vsync and zero frameskip, with auto framerate disabled, but you're using the default settings, so...

Are you using other programs along with ZSNES, such as WinAmp? Try closing all unnecessary programs, then run ZSNES.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

ZSNES 1.337 settles down to between zero and one percent CPU usage while in the GUI on my machine. While emulating a game, however, it takes as much CPU as it can get (which is often 99% since there's rarely anything else running here to occupy CPU).

The function of the newest WIP is precisely opposite. While in the GUI, 99% CPU is occupied. Yet while actively emulating a game, CPU usage ranges from zero to fifteen percent.

It's kinda humorous.