Get rid of Blurr

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

The "ghosting" or "blurring" on LCD monitors doesn't have anything to do with the video card or software.

It's actually a result of the way crappy LCDs use temperature to change the color of pixels. Since temperature change is not immediate, the blurring effect you see are where pixels are warming up or cooling down. I assume it's also caused by heat spreading to adjacent pixels. Some of the newer LCD displays have newer technology that allows quicker temperature adjusting, although they still have small amounts of "ghosting".

At many gas stations up north, LCD pumps displays tend to break due to freezing temperatures and the like. Hopefully plasma technology will become more reliable and cheaper, because LCD has a lot of problems IMO.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

daft wrote:The "ghosting" or "blurring" on LCD monitors doesn't have anything to do with the video card or software.

It's actually a result of the way crappy LCDs use temperature to change the color of pixels. Since temperature change is not immediate, the blurring effect you see are where pixels are warming up or cooling down. I assume it's also caused by heat spreading to adjacent pixels. Some of the newer LCD displays have newer technology that allows quicker temperature adjusting, although they still have small amounts of "ghosting".

At many gas stations up north, LCD pumps displays tend to break due to freezing temperatures and the like. Hopefully plasma technology will become more reliable and cheaper, because LCD has a lot of problems IMO.
http://sharp-world.com/sc/library/lcd_e/s2_1_1e.htm
Read this.

LCDs don't use temperature.
They use electricity to change the orientation of the pixels, but there's no heating elements.
If it was heat, things like the old Game&Watch games, or your wristwatch, wouldn't work well at all. Especially the G&Ws. You just can't heat irregular shapes that accurately(especially not back then).

And color is generated by a filter under the LC panel, NOT by the liquid crystals(Hence why color's not done in any gas pumps I've seen. Extra cost, no real benefit)

The PROBLEM is that the crystals take time to re-orient. We're already light-years past what we had in the '80s on the GameBoy and Game Gear.

And the ones at my gas station break due to customer abuse. Or vandalism.
Though freezing could be fixed by running a heater element behind the screen. Guess the manufacturer is just too cheap.
Actually, as far as I know, cold just slows the response time, doesn't damage them. HEAT damages them, though.

And plasma has one big glaring flaw. It gets image burn-in VERY easily. This makes it incredibly undesirable in any commercial application.
daft
Rookie

Post by daft »

Ah, thanks for the correction. I guess I was misinformed.